SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

Dance fence building

About to indulge myself in building about 400 Ft of wooden privacy fence for my new home that I purchased. Its a fairly basic concept. Dig your holes, set your posts, come back next day and install laterals, then boards. Anyone have any words of wisdom from personal experience? And dont tell me to hire a professional lol. Already have two air compressors, two nail guns, and skill saws.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,486

Hire a professional to set poles and use screws instead of nails.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Hire a professional to set poles and use screws instead of nails.

Words of wisdom from personal experience if I ever seen
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Redfish

Cash: 724

Its not hard. Gates are the toughest part. Take your time and youll be fine
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Words of wisdom from personal experience if I ever seen
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

I did almost 5 times that and one gate. Easy if you have you g bones/muscles. Rent what you can (stines) and ask for help (stines).
Old 02-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Star head Screws! Get a level and of course rent an auger. Do it in sections and run string from corner post. Gates suck bad. I hired someone for mine.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Flounder

Cash: 678

All the above is great advice. Don't wait too long between setting the posts and installing laterals and boards. Posts will warp if you wait too long. Years ago I decided to build the fence in stages so I could pay cash as I went. I put up the posts and by the time I got enough money for the boards, my posts had twisted.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 739

Three rows of laterals, screws or decking staples, build gates with top rail from chainlink fence and screw pickets to it
Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 710

At the bottom use what we call rot boards. Run them level at the bottom perpendicular to your posts so you don't have to rely on a string for level at bottom. Just set your pickets on top of the rot board and screw or nail it. Then if you have rot at the bottom you just change out one rotten 1x6 and your pickets are above it. I promise you this is the only way to go.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Use 10' 4x4's for posts. Auger holes. 3.5" Torx head screws for 2x4 stringers. Use three stringers. 1.5" Torx head screws for fence boards. Buy a gate kit from Lowes. It works wonders. I built one this way and it withstood Rita.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014, 02:12 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Get you a 4 foot level to use to be sure the post are straight. The level can also be used to make sure the fence boards are set straight. Leave about 1/8 inch gap between the fence boards....this allows for a few slightly crooked boards.

I used a string set at the top of where I wanted to top of the boards. Use a string level that attaches to the string to get the string set level."

A "one' person augur is only ok for a few holes.....then it is a 2 person augur. They are heavy and will really get hard to use. I found a post hole digger was easier to use. Have measuring stick to use while digging the holes or put a mark on the post hole digger. Lay out a string to keep the holes straight and evenly spaced, and then use a string to line up the post while setting them.

To install the stringers......if you are doing this alone, make you 2 support boards to hold the 2 x 4 stringer up while you nail/screw to the post. Support boards can be a 1 x 4 about 10 inches longer than the height of the stringer. Then nail a short piece of 2 x 4 about 3 inches from the top. This length allows the support board to be on an angle to hold the stringer next to the post.

Make 3 sets of support boards......one set for each height.

Buy about 20 or 30 extra fence boards to allow for some split or cracked boards. The store should give your money back for these bad boards and this keeps you from having to go back to get more.

Use all galvanized hardware. Be sure to get the brackets that connect the ends of the stringer boards together.

Mixing concrete.......doing it in the hole is easier and faster. Add about a quart of water and pour in some concrete. Use a 1/2 piece of PVC pipe or Re-bar about 5 feet long to mix this up good using an up and down motion.

Then repeat process until hole is filled. Add enough concrete until the concrete is about 3/4 inch above the ground. This will keep the water away from the post when it rains. Have a small trowel or piece of wood to use to smooth off the concrete and slope it away from the post.

Gates......anything wider than 40 inches needs 3 big hinges that are screwed into a 2x4. When placing the gate in position to connect the hinges, support [use wood blocks] the outer end of the gate about 1/2 inch high. This allows for the gate to sag some after installing the hinges and still be level.

Last edited by Gerald; 02-13-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I rented a stand on post hole digger. It was made by Bobcat and it had tracks on it. You drove it to the hole dug your hole and moved on. Much quicker than a two man auger. 400' you going to need at least 50 holes. You may even want to rent a small bobcat with an auger for that. While you at it see it they have the concrete mixer attachment.

Defintiely put 3 runners
Don't put Galvanized Hardware in pressure treated wood, i used some lag bolts for my runners and almost all of the lag bolts rotted out.
If you going to screw the boards on get a brad nailer, stick a nail in each runner then come back and screw it. Much quicker.
Torque head screws, make sure you get the one that are coated for use in pressure treated wood.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Stagger your runners so the breaks of tge boards end on opposite 4x4's . Also consider using a 6x6 or 8x8 to break up really long runs or at corners and for gate posts
Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502

All is good advice for sure, I would make sure I screwed it .. That is from experience

Also make sure after it's built that you protect it and maintain it properly .. When I bought my house the fence had been up for a few years and it hadn't properly been taken care of, and it was a headache till I tore it down
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,445

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Stagger your runners so the breaks of tge boards end on opposite 4x4's . Also consider using a 6x6 or 8x8 to break up really long runs or at corners and for gate posts
Definatly use the 8x8 for gate post. Be sure you check level on about every 6th fence board that you put up.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

And just to stop anyone, especially the wife, from calling you a dumb***, call and get utilities marked before you dig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Lol
Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
I used 8x8'x at the corners and the ends, still holding strong.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 551

Small gates are easy. Just build the fence, install the hardware, and then cut the runners.

On the fence, make sure your boards are tight. They will shrink.

I also agree with screws instead of nail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk