SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Quitters and Losers Forum

Quitters and Losers Forum Come here to discuss self-improvement challenges, such as losing weight or quitting tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. NO BASHING and NO OFF-TOPIC POSTING in this forum! Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Flounder

Cash: 512
Default Feeling of Accomplishment!

Hey all! New to the site. I wanted to post a little about myself and my journey so far, maybe someone can get something out of it. I am now 35 and around 6'4", 230 pounds. I am still working on getting into the low 220's. About three years ago I was 300 pounds, a pack a day smoker and a general lazy a$$ person. I was in the Army in 20's and I could not even approach the fitness levels then. I went to a health fair at work and they measured my BP and cholesterol and I was in bad shape. They referred me to a doctor that minute and I went to see him. He wanted to put me on medicine and I refused. He told me I was on the road to a heart attack and an early death. I asked him what I needed to do to stay off the meds and he said lose 20 pounds in 4 months and to keep working on it. Around that time my little girl gave me the Daddy I don't want you to die speech. So, overnight I altered my life. I quit smoking (that one took a while, I haven't smoked now in about 6 months), joined the gym and got serious. At my 4 month checkup I had lost 40 pounds and I am down 70 pounds as of now. It is really hard for me because I love to eat! I go to the gym 5 days a week in the morning before work. I run or swim on Tuesday mornings and I play volleyball the other three days. I have a workout partner at work that has a similar story and we run three times a week during lunch and do weights the other two days. In my experience, it really helps to have a partner who understands where you have been. It is also important to find something you like doing (like my volleyball) that will keep you interested. If I can force myself to change, anyone can. Excuses are just that, excuses. I have times where I get down and slack off for a week or so, but I always start feeling bad and get back to it. I just wanted to share a little and hopefully maybe help someone get over the hump. This past weekend I did a Tough Mudder race in Austin. Look them up! This is my second one in 6 months. They are a fundraiser for the Wounded Warriors, so that inspires me to do them. The feeling of accomplishment when I finish that race knowing I couldn't even to the starting line 3 years ago is amazing. Find you a goal, and work towards it. But, be realistic with yourself. If you feel like you are burning out, vary your routine. Jump in the pool, bounce on the trampoline with the kids or something!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

nice work man!! keep at it!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Hell yeah....... I need to do the same
Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Flounder

Cash: 512

Thanks guys! What has really helped me is picking a goal (usually a race for me) and working towards it. After I reach it, I pick another one.