SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124
Default Square Foot Container Gardening

I am surprised that a good ole outdoorsy fishing hunting Cajun forum doesnt have a gardening section to go with the cooking page. Most all country boy Cajuns I know live like their ancesters taught 'em and over half of the stuff they plant in their yard grows something. Oh sure I have a tree or 2 that dont produce much just for shade and pretty and Peg keeps flowers around in pots and around the house. Anyways among the many things growing is this little bunch of boxes.
IMG_2696 (960x1280).jpg
They are raised cause of all the rain we get and we do a kin da mostly organic squaare foot technique. Anyways here is more about it.
http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2...en-report.html
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I had a raised box garden. Kind of got away from it but I do plan on putting one back in. I'm going to use cinder blocks this time though. I will use the opening in the cinder box to plant herbs.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I love having fresh veggies. I will be getting some seeds started in the greenhouse by the end of the month. We grow our tomatoes and peppers in pots I made by cutting one sidewall out of a tire then turning it inside out. Hit em with spray paint and ya got a nice looking large pot that lasts forever.
We grow nothing but heirloom plants so we can collect our own seeds for the next planting season.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Red Snapper

Our boxes are 12 or 13 years old and showint their age. That cinder block idea is great. Thats why I started this thread is to share ideas. We ahve several varieties fo mint in the yard and herbs scattered around the lil pots made by the blocks would be great to keep stuff together and organized. Thanks for the wonderful idea that I'll remember for the future.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Red Snapper

Lots of folks in town do the tire thing from big tractor tires to regular car ones. painted up they look great. One guy planted a pecan tree in one and the tree grew to close in around it to where the tire is sunk into the tree.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Swordfish

I had one made of scaffold boards, boards rotted out, that's why I go back its going to be in cinder blocks.

My ultimate goal is to get an asparagus bed and an avacado tree going.

Yall have any experience planting asparagus?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Red Snapper

If ya click the link I pposted the first time ya see I mentioned that one of our 4x4 boxes is an asparagus patch. It is currently dorment thats why I didnt take a picture of just it. They do well in a raised bed. Ours is 4 years old and doing well.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JTCRrqUgk4...0/IMG_2372.JPG

Here is aa pic where they are growing.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Swordfish

Sorry Cappy but I can't see your blog while i'm at work. I'll try to remember to give it a look tonight.

Can you tell me of any problems I may have growing it? I heard it doesn't like full sun.

Whats the chicken wire for? Just to keep out the pest?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Heres the asparagus picture he posted

Old 02-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Red Snapper

Thanks meaux I tried to do that but all that showed was the link
Asparagus does well and I found out from another guy in town that has a large patch. We ordered the roots from Gurney and it took two years for them to really get going. They poke outa the ground as asparagus spears and if ya dont pick them they grow to asparagus ferns. Ya hafta let some become ferns thats what keeps the roots going. We have ours in full sun is a 4x4 box and they do fine. ya cut them back to the ground when they turn brown in the fall and they grow up again in the spring. If ya type asparagus in to the search on our blog you will see the ferns are quite pretty. and ya may need a bigger patch if ya like them. few of ours ever make it into the house they get picked and ate raw by Peggy comin and goin from the mail box
Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Sailfish

Thats cool. Never thought of growing asparagus. We love asparagus. I thought that it was a long time investment before any harvesting could be done. Perhaps I was wrong. Gona have to get my wife on the asparagus know how. She's the info warrior of gardening. She grows several different herbs for cooking and medicinal purposes. My favorite garden items are tomatoes and peppers. I have to go out and touch my tomatoe and pepper plants everyday. Im really wanting to grow some ghost peppers but they will be mostly for fun.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Swordfish

Hey duck my Uncle Grows them hot peppers. He's a preacher in Mississippi but he has a side business making pepper jellys and stuff. Them ghost peppers aint no joke.

Cappy the Asparagus looks wonderful, I think I'll have to try my hand at it. I think I can spare a 4x4 area.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Red Snapper

Thanks the Asparagus take a while to get started. But they are not only tasty but the ferns are really pretty they get tall and the asperagus keep coming up till late in the summer and a few start over in the fall. I did not know how they grew till I saw it. The asparagus we used to seeing are teh shoots straight outa the ground. ya gotta leave some to grow so they can amke the ferns or ya will starve the roots out. This is very hard to do the first year as they getting started and ya cant pick hardly any. We have lots of cool unusal things growing. If yall dont mind I'll be happy to post as it goes. Gladly answer any questions as well. The garden boxes are quiet now being winter, but our loquat plums are swelling up nicely. Will try to post them later when we fertilize.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Hey duck my Uncle Grows them hot peppers. He's a preacher in Mississippi but he has a side business making pepper jellys and stuff. Them ghost peppers aint no joke.

Cappy the Asparagus looks wonderful, I think I'll have to try my hand at it. I think I can spare a 4x4 area.
Yeah they pretty mean boogers. If I grow any I will put a fence around them. Its a given that i I I tell my neighbors son not to touch them, he's gona touch em.lol. Ghost pepper juice in the eye would not be enjoyible for him.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,190

Ok guys, per your request we now have a Gardening forum under the Hobby section. Enjoy.