SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 09-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: 969
Default Boat Question

I certainly don't want to start boat wars. Basically, I'm trying to start getting ideas for what kind of boat to get in the next year or two. I grew up fishing freshwater, and have been hitting the beaches for a couple years now. I borrowed a friends 14' Alumacraft and took it out on Big Lake, and that just didn't pan out. So here's my checklist.....

16-18'
$7000-10000
Geared for salt
Enough boat to handle BL, and maybe the bays near Grand Isle

That's pretty much it. If those specs don't jive with getting out on Barataria, I can live with that. Just trying to find out what to look for as a good starter boat for a guy familiar with boating, but an entirely different kind of boating. I've been looking at the 16 or 17 foot Carolina Skiff, and that seems close to something that would work. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

in that price range your gonna most likely want to look into an xpress or a good deal on a used glass boat...kenner or blue wave's can be found at a good price used or even some used blazer's get into that price range. I believe the only thing new close to that price will be xpress...go ahead and get on a kidney transplant waiting list if you looking at Carolina skiff.

Sent from an Apple Tree..
Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

My coworker is selling his 18ft trophy with merc 90. Roll gunnal for 10k. But I see you looking to get one nx year

sent from my Galaxy NOTE II
Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Redfish

And let me clarify, I absolutely will be looking at a used boat.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

hell I bought my
21 kenner for 7500..fished it lil less than a year spent some money on it and sold it for 9000....there are deals out there with good sound motors on them...just keep shopping and be patient, the right boat for you will pop up.

Sent from an Apple Tree..
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084

Dad bought a beautiful key west for 6, 000. 17ft and great shape. Just gotta shop around
Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
I certainly don't want to start boat wars. Basically, I'm trying to start getting ideas for what kind of boat to get in the next year or two. I grew up fishing freshwater, and have been hitting the beaches for a couple years now. I borrowed a friends 14' Alumacraft and took it out on Big Lake, and that just didn't pan out. So here's my checklist.....

16-18'
$7000-10000
Geared for salt
Enough boat to handle BL, and maybe the bays near Grand Isle

That's pretty much it. If those specs don't jive with getting out on Barataria, I can live with that. Just trying to find out what to look for as a good starter boat for a guy familiar with boating, but an entirely different kind of boating. I've been looking at the 16 or 17 foot Carolina Skiff, and that seems close to something that would work. Thanks for any help!
My 16 ft Alumacraft V16 with 20 hp Nissan is about the minimum for what you describe, and I'm hoping to move to a 20 ft Aluminum V hull within the next year. I think I paid about 5-6k new for the rig in 2006, and it has served my family very well. I pay attention to the wind and try not to have long boat rides in the plans by launching close to where I like to fish.

We've fished lots of spots around Grand Isle, Port Fourchon, Timbalier Bay, E. Timbalier Island, Turner Bay, the Calcasieu Jetties, etc. We have not tried to get to the weirs, and I don't think I would in this boat. It is too long of a ride over open water from Heberts (too long a ride back if the wind shifts or a thunderstorm pops up), and if I bother to drive down to the ferry launch, everyone wants to fish the jetties instead. I've been at Heberts when a storm pops up or the afternoon wind picks up from the SW and I want no part of that in my 16 ft V hull (probably not in a 20 ft either, riding all the way back from the weirs).

When I was growing up, we did all the same tricks in and around Big Lake a 16 ft 48" wide flat bottomed aluminum boat with a 20 hp Merc. It worked well enough fishing the jetties, Turner Bay, Prien Lake, and the ship channel. The V hull and the 60" width on my Alumacraft now are a slight improvement.

Lots of folks laugh and scoff, because when we're out fishing, we're almost always the most modest boat in sight. But that boat has accounted for well over a thousand fish. This year, we have over 50 bull redfish, a dozen bull drum, over 100 catfish, and three sharks.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I've owned a Carolina Skiff and As I've posted before it's good for what it is.(a fiberglass john boat) The problem is you sound like your looking for the same thing I was and won't be happy with that. I'd recommend you save your money and buy a good used bay boat. If you keep your eyes open a good deal will come along. The 19 Frontiers with a 90 or 115 4stroke would fall right in the price range your talking about.

Another thing to think about is what you will pull it with. Don't overload your tow vehicle.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Redfish

Thanks so much for all the tips. My tow vehicle is a full sized Dodge camper van with a V8 318. I'll have to check on tow specs to be sure, but it has solid pulling power. I'll start checking out some of the recommendations when I get a second. Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

You might be able to find a used Cape Horn 17 for that price. They are tanks and would be good both for big lake and light offshore. There are lots of old ones out there for sale but because they are built so well they would be a good used boat to look into.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
You might be able to find a used Cape Horn 17 for that price. They are tanks and would be good both for big lake and light offshore. There are lots of old ones out there for sale but because they are built so well they would be a good used boat to look into.

I agree with the 17-19' Cape Horn.

I've been looking pretty hard lately myself. If you don't mind doing a little work you can get a decent boat for $10,000

Here's an example...
Boats, Outboard Motors, Kayaks, Etc: FOR SALE: 2006 Nitro Bay CC 1800 - SaltyCajun.com

Last edited by swamp snorkler; 10-01-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

you should be able to get a used 18-19ft fiberglass bay boat for that money easily. Just keep your eye out for the right deal, always get the motor checked out, and bring a friend with you that is familiar with boats and will be a voice of reason. Take it for a test ride and check all the electronics, bilge pump, and livewells
Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
Thanks so much for all the tips. My tow vehicle is a full sized Dodge camper van with a V8 318. I'll have to check on tow specs to be sure, but it has solid pulling power. I'll start checking out some of the recommendations when I get a second. Thanks again!
The transmission and the brakes figure as much into towing capabilities as engine, torque, and horsepower.

I would also take care about maxing out your towing capacity if you tow long distances or tow a lot. Maxing out the towing capacity for 10-20% of your annual driving is one thing, but if a lot of driving is pulling the boat, I'd probably only want to tow 50-70% of the rated capacity.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
you should be able to get a used 18-19ft fiberglass bay boat for that money easily. Just keep your eye out for the right deal, always get the motor checked out, and bring a friend with you that is familiar with boats and will be a voice of reason. Take it for a test ride and check all the electronics, bilge pump, and livewells
This is good advice, but you should also be mindful to inspect carefully for possible flaws in the fiberglass. Do discolorations suggest surface (cosmetic) issues or possible structural problems? Apply a little pressure and observe if there is more "give" along the discoloration. Tap around the fiberglass and listen for changes in sound. Hidden defects in fiberglass hulls can be hard to detect, and it is possible that repair work has emphasized the appearance rather than the structural integrity. The real value of a fiberglass hull depends on how well it has been taken care off, and you are forced to judge by what you see.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Sold my 17 ft 2003 capehorn last yr for 7200. Then bought a 22ft pathfinder, I think the best time to buy a use boat would be the winter time. Keep searching on craigslist and other website something will pop up.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

The 17 foot Cape Horn weighs about 1700 pounds, without motor, gear, fuel, ice etc. It's not light but it is a tank.