SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618
Default What size/type boat will I need for Big Lake?

will a 18ft jon be safe enough to fish in Big Lake ? or should I be looking for a skiff or bay boat?

I have a 1996 Merc 115 that I am rebuilding to sale but I'm thinking I should just find me a bay boat hull to put it on...and use the jon in the marshes and rivers...

here is a pic of it...

Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

you could fish turners on a calm day no problem with that boat, if your brave/stupid you could get to the weirs but check the weather closely
Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 946
Default Big Lake can get rough in little time.....

It depends all on the WEATHER Hebert...

More days than not the lake has a considerable chop and can get down right nasty in a hurry. I live on the lake and have seen more than a fair share of smaller marsh, river type boats not make it back to the landing and the Sheirff department has to go look for them and make a rescue. Now on them days when the wind is light or calm you can run all over the lake with no problem but with those type of summer days you ALWAYS have the risk of one of them afternoon Thunder Bangers popping up right over you then your dealing with 3 - 4 ft chop and you don't want to be on the lake in a smaller rig dealing with all that, trust me! So I would definetly reccomend you get some sort of bay boat and would also recomend that you find one at least 21ft, i know the cost is more but you will be able to handle the chop by being able to get on top of the waves making your ride more comfortable and DRIER! Good Luck with your venture!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

you can fish big lake with that boat. just check the weather before you go. starting next month shouldnt have too much problem
Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Banned

i used to run all over big lake in an aluminum boat, might be a little rough until summer comes. will be easier when the trout settle in the north end of the lake. with a stiff south wind if the fish are way south you could launch at sabine refuge. on any type of east wind use heberts.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

ohh its possible to fish big lake in your boat, check the weather before heading, if there is a 10 + wind DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RUN TO WEIRS. it gets bad on that run. Even in a 17 ft sea pro.

Even though im "just a kid" ive seen some BAD STUFF while on the water. Shoot with "W" the run from all over the lake was rough and COLD.

toleda bend- last year around march, it was cold and rough, so i hopped out of the bay boat and into a bass boat, we start running and not 15 yds, waves start hitting us and coming over front. bout 40 degrees out side and we're soaked!

hope that helps,
Old 05-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Your boat should do ok if the winds are below 15 mph and your drive at a slower speed when it gets a little ruff.

I have a 15' boat and go all over the lake. Just keep an eye on the weather and head back closer to the landing if it starts to look bad.

I have seen days when the flags along I-210 are barely moving and get down to Hebert's and the winds are 15+ mph.....and I don't get to launch the boat.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Your boat should do ok if the winds are below 15 mph and your drive at a slower speed when it gets a little ruff.

I have a 15' boat and go all over the lake. Just keep an eye on the weather and head back closer to the landing if it starts to look bad.

I have seen days when the flags along I-210 are barely moving and get down to Hebert's and the winds are 15+ mph.....and I don't get to launch the boat.

when me and W went the big flag on Lake charles was at a dead stand still, get to heberts the wind is blowing!
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned

you can also focus some on learning to fish the ship channel (places like haymark, LNG), this gives you a solid option on rough days, stays calmer a lot of time, it's important to find the good cuts, rocks, and ledges that hold fish.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

thanks folks.. looks like i'll either play it safe on calm days or look for a bay boat hull..
Old 05-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

so back to the question, what size and type boat is best for big lake......

I would have to say that a 21 foot center console or flats skiff is hard to beat. that length allows you to stretch across the bay chop nicely.

you don't really need a shallow boat in big lake, and it is also nice to be able to fish the first rigs and beach in the summer.

i think that is why you see a lot of bay rangers, tritons, kenners, blue waves, champions, shearwaters, pathfinders, skeeters, and others like them. just seems to be the best set up.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 600

Big Lake standard issue:

21' Kenner w/ a Mercury 150. Get you one of these, an anchor, and some shrimp, and you can be a guide for H R&G!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,530
Default Saw every one today

I saw every one of those models of boats on the water this a.m. Crazy how many people were out...

I fish big lake in a 16' flat. Pick your days and watch the weather close. Don't plan on running far if we are having afternoon storms. I've almost lost teeth and possibly a crushed spinal disc on some trips...you learn quick.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned

Cheers LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaRu View Post
Big Lake standard issue:

21' Kenner w/ a Mercury 150. Get you one of these, an anchor, and some shrimp, and you can be a guide for H R&G!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.JPG (86.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 05-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

You got that right, Bruce.

Funny thing is that I don't remember anyone ever recommending H R&G on any forum.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Flounder

Cash: 600

Super toss that anchor at Commisary or Long Point and your an official HR&G guide.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,530
Cool Ahhh...

Hmmm... I think I recognize where that boats at...popular with the waders
Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

Default ?

nope, secret spot