SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Redfish

Cash: 795

Ramond there is no way I would enjoy hunting without a trained dogs, again thanks for the help with mine after hunting season looking forward to getting back in training again. I once went hunting in Texas on a guided hunt the guides dog went on boom he said to us if your dog goes on anything else but boom he would be late every time. I can't see how he could enjoy hunting with that type of dog.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
See my dog is trained and it was trained by me. He cost me 600.00 when I bought him at 3 weeks old. He is very obedient and will do anything I ask of him. He is also one of my family laying in the utility room right now out the weather. You have always contradicted everyone on training there dog, that it has to be this way are you don't have nothing. Like force fetching that's bull to have to do it to dogs, now on some cases I understand. If you have to handle your dog the whole way on a blind don't come to our marsh unless you cant get him to go more than 50 yrds
What is your definition of a "good dog"? I know you just described your dog, but what would be the attribute you look for when you hunt with someone else's dog? What does that dog do that makes you say "man, he/she has a real nice dog"?
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I hunted with lots of dogs some come from trainers and some from guys who trained them

By far 100% dogs trained by owners of dog were better dogs!!

I have hunted with D's dog and that mule is a machine!! Sucker picks up 2-3 ducks at a time...

I have been on 3 hunts of opening day in my life with dogs that came from trainers

Dog #1 ; Little Chenier about 20 years ago my cousin got his prize field breed lab (3k) back from training for opening of duck season!!
1st 3 shots this dog took off like lighting and we never saw him for 3 days

Dog #2 ; 2010 Rice field, buddy just got his prize 7k total with training dog back and never seen a dog get beat so much because it did not know what a duck was!! Would not pick up birds

Dog #3 2012 Rice Field, Dog was a trainers for 8months and buddy was bragging about how bad azz this dog was and showed me some trials he won that summer ( yada yada yada) This dog retrieved more decoys and tangled up more decoys than he got ducks!!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I'll bring my dog and, he'll show your rock and ribbon dogs a few things...How to not do jack sheet and, still get fed! I'm sure he'd sit and, admire their working from the shade and, never move a muscle!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
What is your definition of a "good dog"? I know you just described your dog, but what would be the attribute you look for when you hunt with someone else's dog? What does that dog do that makes you say "man, he/she has a real nice dog"?
My definition of a good dog is one the owner is happy with. Some I wouldn't give you 2 cents for but they are happy and does what they want them too. Just tired of rock dog talk and you have to train your dog this way to be the best so I called him out
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
My definition of a good dog is one the owner is happy with. Some I wouldn't give you 2 cents for but they are happy and does what they want them too.
I understand but that doesn't answer my question. For example; if I saw a dog that could be "no'd" off of 2 dead birds he saw fall, floating on both sides of the pond, and run a blind in between and past them to pick up a cripple he didn't see fall (a common field trial setup called a "poison bird blind") that would make me say "man that's a nice dog". I don't care how he/she got there, if it was FF'd or not, what training methods were used, etc. I'm not judging how other people get their animals to work for them. I'm just wondering what people's opinions and expectations were.

Last edited by Spunt Drag; 12-08-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
See my dog is trained and it was trained by me. He cost me 600.00 when I bought him at 3 weeks old. He is very obedient and will do anything I ask of him. He is also one of my family laying in the utility room right now out the weather. You have always contradicted everyone on training there dog, that it has to be this way are you don't have nothing. Like force fetching that's bull to have to do it to dogs, now on some cases I understand. If you have to handle your dog the whole way on a blind don't come to our marsh unless you cant get him to go more than 50 yrds
$hit, you can have any kind of dog you want I don't care but you can't tell me coonazz dog training is preferable to a true training program. My only contradiction is trying to separate fact from Fiction(opinions repeated as Fact). Your argument doesn't hold water, but that's ok. Ill keep training them like I have been and my clients will be happy.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

This is an age old battle that is every board I frequent........bottom line if YOUR dog makes you happy good for you....if YOUR HUNTING partner's dog makes you happy good for you

If a dog your hunting with is not worth a ****, keep your pie hole shut.
people don't like you calling there baby ugly.

My dog is about as well mannered as the queen at a debutante ball in the blind.
GREAT dog to be around, but in his third year he is struggling with blinds.......

I am NOT a lab guy because I have hunted with way more that were a neaurotic mess then a good hunters, But I damn well know they are out there......would NEVER call a man's dog out......that's just poor gentelmanship IMO
Old 12-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 723

a Good Dog Hmmm lets see it is a dog that will lay with u on the couch play fetch with the kids an when its time to work her *** is in the truck waiting on u. My dog was trained by me she does what she was trained to do an thats to pick up ducks an geese an she will die trying to make sure she gets every last one of them my dog hunts twice a day everyday an does not ever give up shes with me evrywheres i go she my kid my best friend an the best hunting buddy i could ever ask for an she only cost me 250 bucks.i have had dogs in my blind that the owner paid 7-8K that has said they would rather hunt with my dog then theres
Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,771

Im agreeing with W hunted with some high dollar dogs and would work beautiful but could not finish the job because they had no nose but had titles coming out the wazoo.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Lmao this thread delivers!!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardhead View Post
Im agreeing with W hunted with some high dollar dogs and would work beautiful but could not finish the job because they had no nose but had titles coming out the wazoo.
They must have had a coonazz training them
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
This is an age old battle that is every board I frequent........bottom line if YOUR dog makes you happy good for you....if YOUR HUNTING partner's dog makes you happy good for you

If a dog your hunting with is not worth a ****, keep your pie hole shut.
people don't like you calling there baby ugly.

My dog is about as well mannered as the queen at a debutante ball in the blind.
GREAT dog to be around, but in his third year he is struggling with blinds.......

I am NOT a lab guy because I have hunted with way more that were a neaurotic mess then a good hunters, But I damn well know they are out there......would NEVER call a man's dog out......that's just poor gentelmanship IMO
Very well said sir!!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I am the dog most of the time, I listen, fetch, know left and right, and back!!

Im about 99.99% successful retrieve
Old 12-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,546

So bottom line... If the dog isn't trained by a "credible" trainer then it's junk? Curious?

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 12-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
So bottom line... If the dog isn't trained by a "credible" trainer then it's junk? Curious?

That's pretty much what I understand
Old 12-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

I really think a lot of people get confused on the difference between a fact and an opinion.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrab1989 View Post
a Good Dog Hmmm lets see it is a dog that will lay with u on the couch play fetch with the kids an when its time to work her *** is in the truck waiting on u. My dog was trained by me she does what she was trained to do an thats to pick up ducks an geese an she will die trying to make sure she gets every last one of them my dog hunts twice a day everyday an does not ever give up shes with me evrywheres i go she my kid my best friend an the best hunting buddy i could ever ask for an she only cost me 250 bucks.i have had dogs in my blind that the owner paid 7-8K that has said they would rather hunt with my dog then theres
That's just a description of your day to day with your personal dog, you only described that she "was trained by me she does what she was trained to do an thats to pick up ducks an geese", it's a nice animal I'm sure. But I'm still waiting on someone to tell me a true to life hunting scenario that really shows off a dogs trained or natural abilities and would make them say "now that's a good dog".
Old 12-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Redfish

Cash: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post

That is because said trainer is making money on the deal.
Wouldnt be a very good salesman if didnt believe in his product
Old 12-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
That's just a description of your day to day with your personal dog, you only described that she "was trained by me she does what she was trained to do an thats to pick up ducks an geese", it's a nice animal I'm sure. But I'm still waiting on someone to tell me a true to life hunting scenario that really shows off a dogs trained or natural abilities and would make them say "now that's a good dog".
Triple mark. That's good nuff fer me