SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,660
Default How to choose rods and reels?

A couple of years ago I picked a Abu Garcia Revo Winch with a castaway heavy rod to use with strong line trying to muscle reds in easier. That was off of advice. Is there a website or book on how to pick rods and reels? Maybe a comparison test or some chart?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Not sure about a website but I would just ask on here about a specific set up you're looking for.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Most people use med heavy rods for redfish with braided line,I like 40 pound test stren sonic braid. For specks you want a rod that has a good amount of flex or you will rip their soft mouths. I like to use a light or medium light for trout. As for line I use mono for treble hook lures and braid for jigheads with a 20lb leader. As for reels most will agree shimano is the best just stay away from the new curado and citica g series. The previous year E series were great and made in japan,the new ones don't compare. You can still find them used and even new on ebay or go with the shimano chronarch E series. It is almost an exact copy of the curado e. For bass fishing the options are endless depending on style of fishing and/or lures. For most situations bass fishing a medium heavy and medium action will cover it.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396

I use a 2000-2500 spinning reel with 20lb braid. Catch bass,specks, and 40-50lb reds and drum no problem. Medium action rod. Baitcast i use 12-15lb mono. medium/ medium heavy rod. The light spinning reel with braid is alot of fun to catch reds on
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I use a Med light rod with 8 or 10lb test and catch reds,specks, flounder and 3tail ...

Also add a 20lb Florocarbon leader

Use a 50mg Core reel weights about 3.5oz
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by david79thomas View Post
A couple of years ago I picked a Abu Garcia Revo Winch with a castaway heavy rod to use with strong line trying to muscle reds in easier. That was off of advice. Is there a website or book on how to pick rods and reels? Maybe a comparison test or some chart?
what kind of fish you targeting?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I use a Med light rod with 8 or 10lb test and catch reds,specks, flounder and 3tail ...

Also add a 20lb Florocarbon leader

Use a 50mg Core reel weights about 3.5oz
You mean 5.5 oz right....also try out a 50 series before you buy. Not all people have little hobbit hands. 200 series is perfect for most
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

also a 6.3:1 ratio reel is good for most applications, the lower ratio like a 5.3:1 is good for crankbaits slowing down your reeling and has more power when you reel in. if your fishing a jig a 6.3:1 is good to help keep slack out the line when reeling.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

6' 6" ml h&h with curado 50e. 10lb braid 17lb vanish flouro leader. All the species. You can hunt and spend money but GOOD equipment goes a long way. Lighter line helps you to HUUUMM it and long cast equals more consistantly. Ex: catch 2 trout anchor down and then....nothing... Being able to cast further may put you in the wheelhouse without having to anchor up. I've lost many bigger fish trying to catch up to them as well. Better ratio better quality better success..IMO
Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 AM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
Originally Posted by david79thomas View Post
To many variables to your question. Are you wade fishing? Fishing from the bank? Bait or artificial? Help us help you.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
what kind of fish you targeting?
My main question was is there some information online or otherwise where I can pick and choose this reel with this rod.

But I fish for bass, sacalait, reds and trout mostly. I know to use an ultra light for sacalait/ bream, med light/ medium for bass & trout and a heavier rod for reds. The heavier I used the castaway and a revo winch. I have a academy combo that is an abu garcia black max I like for a cheap go to for top waters, buzz bait, frogs or whatever I want to throw for a short while.

But I'm interested in ratios and rate of line recovery for power and speed reasons. A high ratio means fast retrieval or power?
http://www.bassfishingandcatching.co...ear-ratio.html
Cause the above link says it varies. It's just something I need to be more familiar with. I would normally just use a middle of the line and be ok, but to get something more specific for the certain use I want to use it for may be more efficient and I'd enjoy it more.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
To many variables to your question. Are you wade fishing? Fishing from the bank? Bait or artificial? Help us help you.
I am not wade fishing. From a boat. I'll use whatever bites for bait lol. Are you saying I need a certain rod and reel for live and artificial baits?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
You mean 5.5 oz right....also try out a 50 series before you buy. Not all people have little hobbit hands. 200 series is perfect for most
Yes 5.5oz my waterloo is 3.5oz total of 9oz

Core 50 Is a great reel ... The curado is more durable but I like light the lighter the better !!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
also a 6.3:1 ratio reel is good for most applications, the lower ratio like a 5.3:1 is good for crankbaits slowing down your reeling and has more power when you reel in. if your fishing a jig a 6.3:1 is good to help keep slack out the line when reeling.
Awesome! Thanks, that clears it up a bunch!
What do y'all think about this new Abu reel? 7.1:1 gear ratio
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_G...age-AMGXT.html
I like the look of it too. the ratio seems like it would have a place for those cockahoes and swim baits. Sometimes I'm reeling in and my bait is not swimming like it should cause i'm not reeling fast enough but thought I was.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

not sure if the abus are tailored for saltwater fishing. sure you could use it but it might be more upkeep. They have an inshore series reel in abu. gotta think durability in saltwater.

Personally i wouldnt put a MGX in saltwater. too pricy and not worth the risk when you can put a 200$ reel like a lews or shimano practically anywhere.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltERedneck View Post
not sure if the abus are tailored for saltwater fishing. sure you could use it but it might be more upkeep. They have an inshore series reel in abu. gotta think durability in saltwater.

Personally i wouldnt put a MGX in saltwater. too pricy and not worth the risk when you can put a 200$ reel like a lews or shimano practically anywhere.
X2 I would get something thats saltwater proven. Personally I wouldnt get anything slower than 7.0:1 gear ratio. Its a lot easier to real slower than to reel faster... You can still find the discontinued shimano 200e7s on ebay going for under 150.00.... This is a great all around reel and wont break the bank leaving you room for a quality rod.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...200e7&_sacat=0
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Wouldnt use the mgx in brackish water. What is your budget for rod and reel?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I think this is mainly personal preference......some people have to winch them in, some like a fight.

fishing for tournaments is one thing, fishing for enjoyment is another.
I have fished medium wieght rods with 12 pound big game for over a decade now, fish them for everything.
I boated my two snapper many MANY time on a Calcutta loaded with 12 pound big game......

But I'm a pilgrim.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
Wouldnt use the mgx in brackish water. What is your budget for rod and reel?
no budget here
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

I would get the shimano core50mg7 and look at loomis, kistler zbone, or st.croix has their top of the line legend extreme rod on sale for half price right now on their site.