SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744
Default Planning a trip to Holly Beach area.

I am hoping I get a chance to get down to the Holly Beach area next weekend to do a bit of fishing. Usually go to Contraband Days every year, but it has steadily gotten worse every year, so I am gonna skip it this year and use that money to go fishing.

Its been at least 15 years since I have been down there, so I am not familiar with the area at all. I plan to make a weekend of it so I will need a place to stay. I dont have a camper or RV so I am looking for a cabin, room, bungalow, RV, something like that. Anyone know of any good reasonably priced places. I dont see me paying over 100 bucks a night, but I will if I have to. Ive grabbed a few places off the internet and will do some calling around, just wanted to see what the fine folks here had to say about any of em.

Also, how about bait/tackle shops? There isnt really anywhere up here to buy the stuff I need. And besides that, I like shopping. LOL. I have some stuff, but would like to look around down there.

Finally.. Any tips to a few good fishing spots in that area? Im not asking for anyones honey holes, just some good spots. I would hate to come back empty handed. I dont have a boat so I will be fishing from the bank.

Thanks folks. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Acadamy, Lake Charles Tackle, The Tackle Box- Sulphur for baits and such, dont know if there is anything down further south for bait with much selection
Old 04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Cajun fast mart on hwy 27 south of sulphur also has some tackle in case you forget something at the other stores
Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Seth, help this guy out. Tell him where to stay and where he can catch a few fish. Make yourself useful.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Seth, help this guy out. Tell him where to stay and where he can catch a few fish. Make yourself useful.

Alright. U wanna stay at the A+ Motel and RV park in Sulphur. It is just south of Sulphur on hwy 27 and a room will run you about $75-90/night. You will be about 40 minutes from where u wanna fish. All the tackle you need is right across the street at the Cajun Fast mart. It is a Conoco station with a lil tackle store about 200 yards southeast of A+ Motel. U could also stay in Cameron at the Cameron Motel which is around $100/night. Prob closest place to the beach but you gotta fool with crossing the ferry across the ship channel to get to holly beach, so make sure you get up early enough to fool with that. And Cameron is like a ghost town since the hurricane. Nothing to do and nothing to eat besides pizza from the Shell station.

U wanna wait till these winds lay down for sure, better yet a few days of a north wind. Topwaters: blue chrome skitterwalks, bone spooks, white/red, white/chart
Plastics: 1/4 oz jig head with opening night or chartreuse/glitter cocahoes. If the water looks stained, throw a white gulp shrimp on jighead.

All the rock breakers begin on hwy 82 when u go west off 27. Fish hold on almost all of them. You can keep headin west toward Texas and you will pass Little Florida, Constance Beach, or Mae's Beach.(all labeled with green signs) You can actually drive on Mae's Beach but make sure you have a 4x4. I find that the beaches with the rock breakers hold more fish, Mae's beach doesn't have breakers. Just work your way west from Holly Beach to Jonhson Bayou. When the trout are on the beaches they can be caught just about anywhere around there. Good luck.

Also if that doesn't work, you can try the weirs south of Hackberry off 27 (Blue Crab, West Cove, Northline) Can catch some crabs and flounder/reds on gulp.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,486

Now that's what I call a reply! U get a thumbs-up on that one.

Oops there is no thumbs button. Oh well I tried.

Sent from my EVO
Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I was at a beach clean up on Mae's/Martin Beach this morning.
I looked around for camps and RV parks.
Here is what I found.

Holly Beach RV Park-337-569-2109 Cement slabs

Campers for rent on Holly Beach, with Porches and tables-337-569-2318

Richards RV Park- 337-319-5550 on sand

Cabins on the beach in Johnson Bayou:

337-569-2190
337-365-5995
337-519-7045

Youngs RV Park, across the highway from Mae's Beach: 337-569-2845
one of rays old posts
Old 04-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post

Alright. U wanna stay at the A+ Motel and RV park in Sulphur. It is just south of Sulphur on hwy 27 and a room will run you about $75-90/night. You will be about 40 minutes from where u wanna fish. All the tackle you need is right across the street at the Cajun Fast mart. It is a Conoco station with a lil tackle store about 200 yards southeast of A+ Motel. U could also stay in Cameron at the Cameron Motel which is around $100/night. Prob closest place to the beach but you gotta fool with crossing the ferry across the ship channel to get to holly beach, so make sure you get up early enough to fool with that. And Cameron is like a ghost town since the hurricane. Nothing to do and nothing to eat besides pizza from the Shell station.

U wanna wait till these winds lay down for sure, better yet a few days of a north wind. Topwaters: blue chrome skitterwalks, bone spooks, white/red, white/chart
Plastics: 1/4 oz jig head with opening night or chartreuse/glitter cocahoes. If the water looks stained, throw a white gulp shrimp on jighead.

All the rock breakers begin on hwy 82 when u go west off 27. Fish hold on almost all of them. You can keep headin west toward Texas and you will pass Florida, Constance Beach, or Mae's Beach.(all labeled with green signs) You can actually drive on Mae's Beach but make sure you have a 4x4. I find that the beaches with the rock breakers hold more fish, Mae's beach doesn't have breakers. Just work your way west from Holly Beach to Jonhson Bayou. When the trout are on the beaches they can be caught just about anywhere around there. Good luck.

Also if that doesn't work, you can try the weirs south of Hackberry off 27 (Blue Crab, West Cove, Northline) Can catch some crabs and flounder/reds on gulp.

With decent conditions, anybody that can't catch fish with that advice.....needs to go bowlin'.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

Quote:

All the rock breakers begin on hwy 82 when u go west off 27. Fish hold on almost all of them. You can keep headin west toward Texas and you will pass Little Florida, Constance Beach, or Mae's Beach.(all labeled with green signs) You can actually drive on Mae's Beach but make sure you have a 4x4. I find that the beaches with the rock breakers hold more fish, Mae's beach doesn't have breakers. Just work your way west from Holly Beach to Jonhson Bayou. When the trout are on the beaches they can be caught just about anywhere around there. Good luck.

bootsies beach bait...guaranteed to work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kfm211.jpg (6.5 KB, 372 views)
Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 652

Lodge in Hackberry;
Just off Joe Dugas rd. with launch and access to Big lake
$50 / night extra for meals but i dont recall cost
337-526-2633
Steve Turrentine
Old 04-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich View Post
That's the bait. Along with opening night or as bootsie's mom likes to call it "evening edition" lmao
Old 04-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Never fished the beach before,when do the trout usually start showing up?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Mid-May
Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
When the Birdman gets there.

Quote:
That's the bait. Along with opening night or as bootsie's mom likes to call it "evening edition" lmao
Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

Quote:

Alright. U wanna stay at the A+ Motel and RV park in Sulphur. It is just south of Sulphur on hwy 27 and a room will run you about $75-90/night. You will be about 40 minutes from where u wanna fish. All the tackle you need is right across the street at the Cajun Fast mart. It is a Conoco station with a lil tackle store about 200 yards southeast of A+ Motel. U could also stay in Cameron at the Cameron Motel which is around $100/night. Prob closest place to the beach but you gotta fool with crossing the ferry across the ship channel to get to holly beach, so make sure you get up early enough to fool with that. And Cameron is like a ghost town since the hurricane. Nothing to do and nothing to eat besides pizza from the Shell sta

dude i think u covered it all
Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich View Post
quit giving away all my secrets ....j/j thats a great bait along with anything opening night colored and any gulp bait. if the water is really dirty try tight lining a gulp and work it slow along corners of rock breakers should produce atleast a few reds. Good luck post if u catch
Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744

Thanks guys. And thanks a bunches specktator! Hopefully I can use that info to my advantage, see what I can do.

I'll be sure to post how it goes.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Redfish

Cash: 661

Everything sounds good except for the cajun fast mart being a conoco station. They changed to a texaco station about a month ago. Just letting ya'll know
Old 04-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck25 View Post
Everything sounds good except for the cajun fast mart being a conoco station. They changed to a texaco station about a month ago. Just letting ya'll know
Alright thanks. I haven't been on west side of lake since last summer.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck25 View Post

Well, crap....that changes everything!!!!