SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 09-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default 9-1-16 Redfish trip of a Lifetime!!

Only other trip I can compare it to was 30 years or so ago when I was a kid fishing south of New Orleans. I put my buddy on trout other day but no reds caught. He is more freshwater fisherman, or I should say used to be and only caught a few trout and reds in his life. That has all changed this week. I didn't have the gas to run south for trout so I said I'll try to put u on some reds where I caught them other day around Turners Bay. He couldn't believe how hard the trout were pulling other day so I knew he love fishing reds. I will say this rain cooled water has the fish putting on a show when they hit! Anyway launched at cal point and tried to catch bait from there up into a cut by Turners and high tide had them scarce so after throwing cast net 50 times and only 3-4 mullet and 2-3 shad I decided to make a run to Hebert's for shrimp. They were out but had croakers and cocahoes. But they don't take debit cards and between the both of us only have $10 cash. At $15 a quart for croakers and $20 for cacohoes. I been wanting to try croakers for trout but don't have enough gas to go that far south and not sure how reds like em. Settled for half quart cacohoes with our 10 bucks and may have got 12 total. As I'm walking back to boat I tell the old guy thanks and mention how a few trips prior the cut here was loaded with mullet. He says they out there in that point. As we leave I make one throw and catch 40-50 perfect size finger mullet. Now I really want to go after trout again but can't without making a run to spicers for gas cause they do take debit cards lol. I stickj to the plan and head back north to where we just came from. Finally start fishing around 8 and first 30-45 minutes was slow with a couple reds in box. Then the tide starts out and I put power pole down. We sat there and caught redfish on every cast til 12 having limited out by 10 am til we ran out of bait. We left fish still biting. Average red was 20" but I like them closer to 16" and tried to box as close to that as possible. Mybuddy caught several over 27" and wanted one for pit so boxed one of those. We landed at least 35-40 reds! Great trip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1472757716633.jpg (38.1 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1472757680082.jpg (30.3 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1472757727003.jpg (41.6 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1472757700995.jpg (17.3 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1472757691999.jpg (50.6 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1472757686450.jpg (50.4 KB, 453 views)
Old 09-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 467

New to the lake were did you catch the trout?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 486

Thanks for the good report. You fishing bottom or popping cork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Tripletail

Been fishing mullet under poppin cork for a couple months now. If cant find the mullet quick enough ill catch pogies. They just been a little scarce on north end after all the rain but I have seen em. I was only boat in Turners Bay today. Well no they had two other boats around the island. One that left when I got there and a Trophy hung around for a little bit and moved on. Had he came back my way id told him to stop cause the reds were as thick as id ever seen them. But... I don't usually target redfish I'm more of a trout guy. I caught the trout in ship channel south of oyster bayou. If I couldn't have found the reds in the shallows I would have bottomed fished for them in 8-10 feet of water along rocks in ship channel were we have caught them fishing trout. I'm learning the lake all over again cause this is first year fishing it since around 2008. I may have made 6-8 trips since then til april this year. But it would not surprise me if fish went in Fall mode early. I know we still have a lot of summer left here but the water is really cold after all the rain. Anyone know what temp is? It feels cooler than 80 but it had to be 90 or more before. Starting to catch them close to bank again. Trout and Reds.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:13 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 569

Thanks for the reports. The wife and I or headed there for the weekend. Hopefully get on some fish. Will posts reports daily
Old 09-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Tripletail

Looks like everyone caught today. The wind laid down more today and from reports and pictures I'm getting if u targeted reds u got limit. Went after trout they got limit and some had mixed bag. I know one thing after today I may start targeting reds more often. That was fun. Anyway I expect it to be good fishing this weekend if everyone on water gives a little more respect than they have been on busy weekends. I shouldn't put it that way. Its possible some just don't know. I want to give an example though: I was drifting west cove day before yesterday just inside the mouth on south side. I was back in there pretty good by where all the tree branches are stuck in the water drifting from north to south with the wind trying to stay with a small school of pogies. U could not see em real good but could hear em. Anyway this boat heads into the entrance of the mouth coming into the cove. I told my buddy dang it he is gonna come thru right where I'm drifting. We were both throwing south so we could put down anchor if caught. anyway he makes hard turn north I'm thinking to run that east bank down to next entrance/outlet cause North East wind was Hammering the ship channel right there and wind turning more east. I quickly realized it was a guide boat and all of a sudden he turns West back behind me and moves on towards oyster bayou. I'm not sure if yall are following me here but that is the way u do that. He saw how I was fishing and spent those extras seconds, just seconds, not to go thru where I was drifting. And he would have been a good ways away had he kept on but my plan was and I did make a long drift. Anyway its little things like that that help. I appreciated it anyway and try to do the same. Ok getting away from fishing report now lol
Old 09-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Thanks for the report. My cousin says he knows exactly where that is in turners by the pictures. Gonna try and hit it tomorrow. Cheers.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Tripletail

good luck. Its better on high tide than low. Its shallow . I would like to hit it again in am but this is my first night back at work and need to sleep all day tomorrow. But I'm likely back out Friday morning or Sunday morning. For sure Tuesday after all the weekend warriors have their fun. just report back whether caught or not
Old 09-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

The cut off sleeve wins again! On a serious note, that is a nice haul!