SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-01-2015, 09:25 AM
Redfish

Cash: 893
Default deer feeder suggestion

What Kind do ya'll recommend? brands, types, etc. I also need tips on keeping the coons out of them. Thanks
Old 08-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

I don't get crazy with it. Rice bran and corn. Half a sack on ground every 4 days. What er is cheapest. Works well for me.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

IMO.....corn feeder just make the deer much more nocturnal.

Putting out several bags of fertilizer to help grow better "browse" will attract the Deer.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Yes I don't use feeders. Just a small pile on the ground. I also fertilize my briars liken you said. More food. Sweeter food. More deer
Old 08-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

We build our own feeders using plastic drums. Make a ring with some flat bar and weld some rebar onto that to be able to stick into some metal pipe legs. Then we attach one of those 3 hole feeder chutes from Academy onto the bottom.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,959

We use timed feeders and set timer to go off early morning and late evening. Deer learn the times those feeders are going off and will come at those times. Vaseline on the legs of the feeder will keep the coons off of them.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Redfish

Cash: 901
Default Feeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed32 View Post
What Kind do ya'll recommend? brands, types, etc. I also need tips on keeping the coons out of them. Thanks
I have had the best luck with metal or plastic drums using the Moultrie Pro Hunter. You can buy them at Academy for $40. They have a metal spin plate and the battery lasts FOREVER. If you put Vaseline on your feeder legs, the coons cannot climb to the top and spin or damage the feeder. If you don't want coons....don't use corn...period. If you can afford to throw soybeans, deer eat them when they sour.

I personally have had my kids shoot deer at the feeder here in Louisiana but they do not attract deer, especially bucks, like they do in other states. I do use them just to keep the does around and I find that after a few years of use, the deer are used to them and come at night and in the daylight but only pass by to nibble. We have so much food here. The bucks are nocturnal here anyway, so if you want to kill a buck, leave the feeder and hunt the woods and bayous. Other than that, you might get lucky during the rut because bucks like to be where the does are.

Good luck
Old 08-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

Having the properties we have high fence/no fence and properties I manage I would recommend the boss buck feeders or redneck blinds tpost feeder. We have them both at all our properties and they both are the best in durability and quality.

The 80lbs Tpost feeders they sent me last year and I ordered 25 for this year for 100.00 it's worth it. Boss buck feeders are great for feeding 200+ pounds

Good luck

Sent from the baddest GYM in La