SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 06-17-2015, 04:06 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864
Default Gauging interest

Survey:

How many of you would pay $500 a day for a non guided duck blind?

The blind would be brushed, decoys set, boat provided, room for 3 hunters to split cost.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

If it was a guaranteed chance of a good hunt, and I could bring someone with me that doesn't get to go often, sure. Maybe one or two days out of the season. I've done this same scenario in KS. Except meals and lodging were included also. It was an older guy by himself who basically just had a ton of land. As soon as we got there he took us around all his properties (the ones that he would recommend hunting at least) and basically said "get after it." Blinds were ready at some spots, and some spots you didn't need a blind. He had side by sides that he let us use, and if we wanted he would bring us wherever. He had decoys in his shed we could use even though we brought our own. But you could easily just bring a gun and waders and show up and hunt in a situation like that. The best part was we still got to do our own scouting and make our own decisions (call, decoy set ups, I brought my dog, etc.) so it still felt more rewarding than just going with an outfitter. Although he would "guide" you and work his dog if you needed him to. FYI we paid $300/gun/day.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063

Just FYI White Lake refuge charges 200 or so for a lottery hunt.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
Survey:

The blind would be brushed, decoys set, boat provided, room for 3 hunters to split cost.
I think $300.00 would be more reasonable but at the same time, you have my interest.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:30 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

I wouldn't, unless you were covered up in greenheads, but there are plenty of folks that would.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
Survey:

People will surely pay it. No doubt. There are many hunters out there that don't have access to their own leases but also get tired of hunting public land and don't need/want to pay a guide fee and tip.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

$500 is too steep. $300, you would maybe get my attention.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:50 AM
Redfish

Cash: 901
Default Never

One of the problems we duck hunters have is that people are willing to pay way too much for mediocre hunting therefore areas get over pressured and all duck hunting begins to decline. $500/Day is too high for one day duck hunts just about anywhere. Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

I've heard there are a few places like this... I think a friend was going and paying $100/gun/day... so I guess it sounds like a 3 man blind would go for $300/day vs. $500/day
Old 06-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

I don't find 500 is too bad if your splitting it between 3 people. Thats less than 170 per person and all you have to do is show up and shoot. And you said boat provided, so I'm assuming this is marsh hunting??
Old 06-18-2015, 11:58 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

One of my friends has 2 blinds along the intracoastal in vermillion parish and he only needs 1. He was gonna sublease the second blind but thought maybe he could make more $ by selling day hunts. The marsh is above average. The boat run is only about 1/2 mile. The cost is higher because #1 the lease is high and #2 insurance is high.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

It could work but personally I would rather sublease to 1 person and pocket less $$. Yes he probally can make more money, but that may be dependent on the hunting and how much repeat business he gets.

How close is the lease blind to your buddies, he may get some yahoos hunting out there?

Will he have to meet every group in the am?

What kind of boat, go-devil, outboard and what's going to happen when the engine won't start @ 5:00a.m.?

I could be wrong but I'm willing to bet the blinds will need to be brushed every 3 hunts.

Are the above hurdles worth the extra$?
Old 06-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

Throw in shells and a hunting license with duck stamp and I may be interested.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

IMO best case scenario could be $600 with a camp included. Camp doesn't need to be fancy just somewhere to stay the night before hunt.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720
Default Lease

If your buddy values his hunting season he will just sub lease out. Bringing sports to a blind every weekend in that situation sucks.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckaholic View Post
One of the problems we duck hunters have is that people are willing to pay way too much for mediocre hunting therefore areas get over pressured and all duck hunting begins to decline. $500/Day is too high for one day duck hunts just about anywhere. Just my 2 cents...
One of the problems is the modern duck hunters that hunt public land force real waterfowler's out and they have to pay high rates to find some peace and tranquility away from all the duck commander commandos. I would love to have a nice easy place to take my well trained dog and disabled dad where I don't have to be at the launch at 3am, or shine people off all morning waiting on shooting time. If I have to pay a premium for some peace I'll gladly do it.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

500$!!! Damn I need to go up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

If it's the blind i'm thinking of, it would be hard for people who have never been to make it down the intracoastal, find the little dock, and then make it to the blind. Fog would make all of this even harder, unless your buddy would bring them there everyday on his way. It would be easier to just sublease like other said.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Along the Intracoastal in Vermilion Parish is a pretty broad area. If its West of the Warren ditch its probably pretty in a pretty good spot but the kind of yahoo's that are going to pay that kind of money for an non guided trip are going to be a liability. The only competent enough to turn lose unsupervised in the dark, in a boat, in the south Louisiana marsh are not going to pay that. I've given people directions to a blind in a rice field and they didn't find it until they fell in it. He'd be better off charging 600$ and hiring a local kid for 100$ to run them out there and pick up their ducks.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893

One of the problems I see is that he will responsible for the actions of each group. If they violate hunting laws or laws of the leaseholder he may get into trouble. at least if you sub lease you probably know who it is and trust them somewhat versus having every tom, ****, and harry there every weekend. Could he possibly lose his lease for a major violation?