SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,739
Default Duck Lease

Good Morning everyone.
I got "that" dreaded phone call about your hunting lease we all fear. Suddenly out of nowhere my lease of four years is unavailable. I know what everyone's response is going to be; too late; a place open now isn't worth it. Etc etc.

I'm really desperate though. I got into hunting to share my love for the outdoors with my kids. Hell the lease we where on only averaged three ducks per hunt. Its not about the daily numbers more about the experience and lessons learned.
So I am going to ask anyway; if anyone happens to hear of or know of a spot opening up I'm looking to invest. We were previously hunting just south of Kaplan; I'm open to almost anything.
Sent from my
SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,190

Hate to hear that for you. It's late in the game to get that phone call. Very sorry.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

I know it's probably not your program, but can fix you up with a package of multiple day hunts and lodging. We are in the El Campo, Tx area. Just trying to get you out of a bind. I know it's a bit of a drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,190

Obviously you can go with several local guides but I'm sure you want something for yourself. Rod and gun will do drive up blinds where you don't spend the night but you come eat breakfast then go hunt then come back for some gumbo. It's a fully guided hunt no overnight accommodations. You and a guest, you are looking at about $500 for that trip plus tip. You can probably prepay and get a package of hunts at a lower price. Of course if you have two kids or three guns that's not an option.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Redfish

I might end up having to go the pay per trip route. That's going to really end up costing me. Having your own place and all the freedom that comes with it is priceless. Also my boys are 5 and 7 just getting into it, not quite ready to spend a day in a blind with a guide.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacha View Post
I might end up having to go the pay per trip route. That's going to really end up costing me. Having your own place and all the freedom that comes with it is priceless. Also my boys are 5 and 7 just getting into it, not quite ready to spend a day in a blind with a guide.

Same hear. I'm n the same situation with my 8 year old. Just learned that I might be out too. If I find something with more than one blind that I need to split, I'll let you know.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Redfish

That's sad to hear for you man. If you hear of anything let me know.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:40 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Same hear. I'm n the same situation with my 8 year old. Just learned that I might be out too. If I find something with more than one blind that I need to split, I'll let you know.
I won't know if I'm getting my blind back for a few more weeks. If you guys come across something and need a member keep me in mind.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Redfish

This apparently is an ongoing thing for a lot of hunters. Its said to know that you there is no loyalty, its all about the almighty dollar. I am afraid my kids won't be offered the same opportunities I was a kid and that's just depressing.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacha View Post
This apparently is an ongoing thing for a lot of hunters. Its said to know that you there is no loyalty, its all about the almighty dollar. I am afraid my kids won't be offered the same opportunities I was a kid and that's just depressing.
Land owners/big money yuppy hunters have driven prices up for years. Now it looks like crawfish farming is taking over. When I was a teen it wasn't uncommon to just drive up to a farm house and ask permission to hunt. When that went away I moved to the refuges. Now with all the people losing leases and duck dynasty glamorizing the sport the refuges have been taken over with idiots. For the most part I'll go shoot a few woodies on the river now. I say turn the refuges into low cost lottery hunts with strict guidelines and crowd control. This would eliminate the overcrowding, sky busting morons along with all the underage kids with zero etiquette and make for a better overall hunting experience. Sorry kinda went on a rant there.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Redfish

I don't disagree with most of your comments, $$$ drives everything
Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
Land owners/big money yuppy hunters have driven prices up for years. Now it looks like crawfish farming is taking over. When I was a teen it wasn't uncommon to just drive up to a farm house and ask permission to hunt. When that went away I moved to the refuges. Now with all the people losing leases and duck dynasty glamorizing the sport the refuges have been taken over with idiots. For the most part I'll go shoot a few woodies on the river now. I say turn the refuges into low cost lottery hunts with strict guidelines and crowd control. This would eliminate the overcrowding, sky busting morons along with all the underage kids with zero etiquette and make for a better overall hunting experience. Sorry kinda went on a rant there.
Can't do that, who wants to show up to hunt and not be drawn? Public is public, work hard enough and you'll kill em. People don't realize how good some of the public land hunting in LA is.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Tax money and part of license fees go to managing public lands, if I want to show up and hunt public land, I better be able to show up and hunt public land.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

It's crazy to me how many people get mad at others who have the funds to pay high prices for a lease. If someone works their arse off and has the money to outbid someone for a hunting lease good for that person,too bad so sad for the other person. I'm not being harsh but in America that's how it works with everything from housing market down to duck blinds. Blame the farmers not the guy with the means to pay. For the record I don't duck hunt but a couple times a year and when I do it is public land.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmyboyblue View Post
It's crazy to me how many people get mad at others who have the funds to pay high prices for a lease. If someone works their arse off and has the money to outbid someone for a hunting lease good for that person,too bad so sad for the other person. I'm not being harsh but in America that's how it works with everything from housing market down to duck blinds. Blame the farmers not the guy with the means to pay. For the record I don't duck hunt but a couple times a year and when I do it is public land.

But it's not a "person" out-bidding others, it's usually a corporation or company doing the bidding. But there's nothing we can do about that. I don't blame the land owners either.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Can't do that, who wants to show up to hunt and not be drawn? Public is public, work hard enough and you'll kill em. People don't realize how good some of the public land hunting in LA is.
Agree. Some of the best hunts I've ever been on were on public land here in LA. (not just Lac & Sabine either)
Old 07-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Red Snapper

One of our lacassine hunts...uploadfromtaptalk1438195306293.jpg
Old 07-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
One of our lacassine hunts...Attachment 91931
from how long ago? since when do they have open ponds?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:01 PM
Red Snapper

This was 2010. The area we hunt isn't much more than an open spot about 300 yards into the marsh. I didn't hunt it last year but my buddies still do.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

FYI..... in todays Lake Charles there was an add for 5 different duck hunting plots of land [500 to 600 ac. each] that are up for bids in Cameron parish. This is School board land.