SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:10 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmyboyblue View Post
It's crazy to me how many people get mad at others who have the funds to pay high prices for a lease. If someone works their arse off and has the money to outbid someone for a hunting lease good for that person,too bad so sad for the other person. I'm not being harsh but in America that's how it works with everything from housing market down to duck blinds. Blame the farmers not the guy with the means to pay. For the record I don't duck hunt but a couple times a year and when I do it is public land.
I'm conflicted about this. Part of me says, well that's how capitalism works(which I am in favor of). The other part of me is saddened by the loss of hunting land available to the common man who won't or can't pay thousands of dollars a year to hunt ducks.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

I have a few buddies who hunt lacassine refuge about 4-5 times a yr. They do very well. Only hunt a certain wind and go into there spot. Over a mile walk they said kill mallards and pintail. Pass everything else. I have seen the pics. They don't lie.

Proof you can put in the work and still have a great hunt on public land.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat killer 86 View Post
I have a few buddies who hunt lacassine refuge about 4-5 times a yr. They do very well. Only hunt a certain wind and go into there spot. Over a mile walk they said kill mallards and pintail. Pass everything else. I have seen the pics. They don't lie.

98% of people I know that duck hunt will only do this once. That's some hard hunting out there. I used to have to beg people to go with us, if they did it was usually the last time they would go. If you're a real big guy, might as well hang it up and sleep in. I didn't go last year though. Like CGoods said none of our old spots had open water. At least the first split they didn't.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat killer 86 View Post

This is fact. We rarely shot until the 8:00 mallard flight. Unreal how we could nearly set your watch to it. Fun hunts for sure.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
This is fact. We rarely shot until the 8:00 mallard flight. Unreal how we could nearly set your watch to it. Fun hunts for sure.

Some of our best hunts on Attakapa wma in the basin was after 10am. Everyone else leaves early and we always stay till noon. Just shoot the bull for a couple hours after the first morning flight, then all of a sudden the mallards and greys show up.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Flounder

Cash: 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
Some of our best hunts on Attakapa wma in the basin was after 10am. Everyone else leaves early and we always stay till noon. Just shoot the bull for a couple hours after the first morning flight, then all of a sudden the mallards and greys show up.

How about go chase some public land squirrels and hogs maybe out of popup blind in the woods... good for hiding those kids, and keeping skeeters off. Set up near a slough and shoot some woodies too. Add in a camping experience if you have to drive a bit to make it worth it ?

Don't feel alone, lots making adjustments with this bad oilfield situation.