SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachaser250 View Post
duck hunting is a miserable sport. Don't do it.
Yes, for real duck hunters it really is. I say that because real duck hunters are sick, sickly addicted. They wake up at 2am AGAIN and it's cold and rainin and although they only killed 2 spoons the day before, ain't no way they gonna miss out on this weather change. Every part of their tired body says just rest but dat burnt, addicted brain says no sir, today could be the day. So off we go in da cold rain for a refreshing boat ride. It's miserable but we can't help it. We just can't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2015, 08:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

True. If it's poring down rain and cold. You probably won't catch me out trying to kill a deer. But put me in the duck blind and it's on. I remember one hunt last yr was an evening hunt and it was poring down rain. All day rain. Poooooring down. Got in blind at 1230 thinking we are going to smoke em early and get out of here and be in bed by original time. Nope. Sat in that terrible weather for 4 hours before we shot our first shot. Ducks everywhere. Nothing wanting to work. All high birds. Crazyness. We have been calling at birds all afternoon . Trying different calls and moving decoys in the down poor. All of a sudden the birds said, "Hey, let's go there."
Group of about 8 Pintail came in. 6 stayed. It was on from there. Killed 24 ducks and 5 specks at the end of that hunt. 1 banded speck. Done with limit by 515. Took an hour and 15 minutes to do that. Totally worth the 4 hours of miserable cold down poor to kill them though.

Yeah I'm sick in the head.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Let's hear some more crazy hunts yall have had.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I love duck hunting. But I won't pay thousands.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

To me it is all worth it on that windy day when your 2 liter coke bottles you spent numerous hours and drank many natty lites on are riding the waves just perfect. Or when times are slow and that big raft of local ducks are sitting out there and you hear tboy heading out across the lake and you know he is going to get those dos gris up and you know at least one of them is going to get within 50 yards and you will get to sling some 3.5" triple BBs at them. Or when that big flock of coots that have been milling around all morning start inching closer and closer to the blind and finally into gun range. The anticipation gets me every time
Old 08-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Yes, for real duck hunters it really is. I say that because real duck hunters are sick, sickly addicted. They wake up at 2am AGAIN and it's cold and rainin and although they only killed 2 spoons the day before, ain't no way they gonna miss out on this weather change. Every part of their tired body says just rest but dat burnt, addicted brain says no sir, today could be the day. So off we go in da cold rain for a refreshing boat ride. It's miserable but we can't help it. We just can't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

True story. Gets me every time.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
True story. Gets me every time.

So beautiful I'm crying
Old 08-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

You guys are really getting my feathers ruffled. Y'all are right about this sickness...You know it's bad when you make that one hour drive on a weekday just to hunt for an hour before work. Freezing cold wet rain none of it matters when it all comes together. I make a lot of solo hunts and I enjoy those mornings or evenings just sitting with the dog thinking about life more than I can even begin to describe.

I remember a couple years back I was hunting out of a small duck boat I built, at the time I would just pole myself out to one of my closer blinds. It was freezing cold, overcast with a little rain every now and then. I had an amazing hunt that afternoon, the birds were working just how I needed them to, and I had not heard any shots or boats that afternoon, but things changed towards the end of that hunt. The wind picked up to about 20-25mph out the north and the rains really started to fall. I had to pole back to the launch heading into the wind, freezing cold, soaking wet....but I had my limit and had an amazing hunt, along with some hot duck gumbo waiting on me back at the camp....The feeling coming back after all that work is nothing that anything can compare to.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

The sun peeking up from the horizon. Birds winging in the distance. The sweet smell of the marsh grass wet from the dew mixed with wet dog. The time spent with friends and family. Duck hunting is much, much more than shooting. I never feel more insignificant or closer to God than a morning in the duck blind or in a boat fishing open water at dawn.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

i remember one day the weather was so bad nobody wanted to go with me, so i went by myself.

i'm not a bad shot, but it took me over a box of shells to get my birds it was so windy.
the kicker of the day was a 11 year old slopehead from Manitoba. band was so woreout it was barely readable and about to fall off.

now i hardly ever shoot more than one or two, it's about watching the birds and trying to get them to work. if i can get them to land sometimes i just let them go.

gonna miss them camp suppers too. lots of good times.

a couple years of 3/30 wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
Can't make these memories from the house and let's not forget the life lessons learned from both the young and old.
How stinky did lil man's cast get after this? I've experienced this first hand lol
Old 08-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
How stinky did lil man's cast get after this? I've experienced this first hand lol
It wasn't bad, wife wasn't too happy though. He was a trooper, no way he was missing any hunts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk