SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061
Default Most used decoy type?

I tend to favor the teal honestly because they're smaller and easier to transport. Plus we see mainly teal and spoonies. I also like pintail and/or spoons for visibility.

what yall got?
Old 11-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

I always have teal out because we shoot them season long, the rest are a mix of spoonies, greys and Pintail. I like the contrast of white, but ive heard good things about 2 liter jugs painted black with a white cap
Old 11-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

20% teal, 30% greys, 30% pintails 20% coots/milk jugs; hunting marsh in GC. We add widgeon dekes after a few weeks and in second season.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633

Most used decoy type across the board? Id prob say a good number of people have more mallards in their spread than anything.

We have a mix of teal, mallard, pintail, and specks
Old 11-10-2015, 02:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

I use a mix of just about everything...of course most of mine are repurposed anyway. Got some mallards, some pintail, a spoonie, and some wigeon that I repainted. Bought some teal and gadwall dekes.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

Lately it is spoons. Almost everything decoys to them.........Seriously. Carver's edge are cheap and good.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck enticer View Post
Lately it is spoons. Almost everything decoys to them.........Seriously. Carver's edge are cheap and good.
If these are the cheap ones from academy they suck. Usually when a pellet hits a decoy it makes a small hole. The cheap academy decoys usually have big cracks and the plastic flakes. I really regret buying any of these.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

The GHG decoys look great but do not leave them out all season.
As for species, I never understood why people put out 3 dozen mallard decoys (when was the last time you saw 3 dozen mallards in your spot?) when you're seeing mostly greys and teal.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
If these are the cheap ones from academy they suck. Usually when a pellet hits a decoy it makes a small hole. The cheap academy decoys usually have big cracks and the plastic flakes. I really regret buying any of these.
So true, but I'm an instant gratification kinda guy so I bought some...decoys are the last thing I wanna order online. I like the Flambeau decoys bc the plastic is soft vs those academy ones they as lost shatter if they get shot
Old 11-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I never really bought teal, I mean I have some but they're all painted like coots. I buy straight bigs. If you're going to spend the money on dekes, get the most bang for your buck. A half dozen big ducks are more visible than a dozen teal. And if you think a teal will only decoy to teal dekes, you are giving them way too much credit..
Old 11-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

Quote:
Ouch. Someone put three pellets in one of my brand new Carver's edge drake spoons. It hasn't sunk yet, but thanks for the heads up on the paint. Looks like I am going to learn a lesson with that purchase. Should've kept my mouth shut with only one weekend under their belt.

My GHG spoons are still operable and look decent after about 5 years and leaving them out all last year. As far as Green head gear I have had problems with premature holes and leaks.

I have to speak good about the 12 cabelas Mallard decoys I bought about 10 years ago. They still look really good. And I abuse the hell out of my stuff.

Flambeau is coming along. Use to be their paint jobs were crap, but they seem to be upping their game.

Has anyone seen the Avian X greys!!! Friggin Awesome. Another level good. If I could bring myself to spend $85 on 6 decoys I would buy them.

I love the game winner blue wing teal decoys with the red eyes. Go China!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck enticer View Post
Ouch. Someone put three pellets in one of my brand new Carver's edge drake spoons. It hasn't sunk yet, but thanks for the heads up on the paint. Looks like I am going to learn a lesson with that purchase. Should've kept my mouth shut with only one weekend under their belt.

My GHG spoons are still operable and look decent after about 5 years and leaving them out all last year. As far as Green head gear I have had problems with premature holes and leaks.

I have to speak good about the 12 cabelas Mallard decoys I bought about 10 years ago. They still look really good. And I abuse the hell out of my stuff.

Flambeau is coming along. Use to be their paint jobs were crap, but they seem to be upping their game.

Has anyone seen the Avian X greys!!! Friggin Awesome. Another level good. If I could bring myself to spend $85 on 6 decoys I would buy them.

I love the game winner blue wing teal decoys with the red eyes. Go China!

The avian x's are awesome, but the gads aren't really any better looking than the GHG pro grades (not too big of a price difference either). If you had to pack decoys in and out every time you hunt, I would save my money and buy Avians. 6 of the GHG's weigh more than a dozen of the Avian X's. My little brother has been slowly buying avians over the past year and only hunted last season with some, they've held up 100% so far, but we'll see on the durability after a few more seasons.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I never really bought teal, I mean I have some but they're all painted like coots. I buy straight bigs. If you're going to spend the money on dekes, get the most bang for your buck. A half dozen big ducks are more visible than a dozen teal. And if you think a teal will only decoy to teal dekes, you are giving them way too much credit..
If you have a group of teal deeks in your spread, teal will tend to go to them. I did say tend to and not everytime.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:38 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

To mix it up.
Redheads, if y'all have some in your area throw em out. They already work well but they really like to see their own kind. If they show back up this year I wanna set up a Go-Pro upwind of the redhead decoys in the pond and record the carnage from the decoys or water level pov.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
If you have a group of teal deeks in your spread, teal will tend to go to them. I did say tend to and not everytime.
No doubt they will. I'm just willing to trade more visibility for my buck in place of the chance of landing teal where I want them to land. A teal gone' teal. They'll generally give you just as many looks with teal dekes than without. Might not land exactly where you want them to, but if you replaced all your teal dekes with bigs, who knows how many more ducks will notice your spread from a distance and possibly come give you a look. Now if I was in a hole that I knew they were coming to with or without decoys, and wasn't as worried about spread visibility I'd be fine trying to direct traffic with the teal dekes. IMO
Old 11-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

go big or go home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1jImyDNsXQ
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
I'm sure all those swimming ones would stir up the mud and the ducks wouldn't be able to see the corn.

Seriously though, they must have a generator running somewhere to power all that.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
*Dog drowns on first retrieve
Old 11-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
I'm sure all those swimming ones would stir up the mud and the ducks wouldn't be able to see the corn.

Seriously though, they must have a generator running somewhere to power all that.
Yeah that was an old video He has multiple vortexes now and it's pretty impressive. I would stop duck hunting before I resorted to that
Old 11-12-2015, 02:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

Ol' boy in his cactus camo and back-to-school blue jeans!