SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Maybe no one will go to grand isle any more.. LMAO
Yea and save all the fishing for us! Every time I go to GI I am catching at least 10 trout, keeping a few and tagging the rest. IMO, with the presence of small trout, that alone shows that the population is still thriving, we're just seeing a change in the "normal patterns."

My thoughts is that this late summer to fall will be a good one.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
What's crazy is the only thing you contribute to this site is complaining about W.
What's up with that?
I think he secrectly has gay fantasies about W. He's prolly whackin off in his bedroom to W's reports.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
I think he secrectly has gay fantasies about W. He's prolly whackin off in his bedroom to W's reports.
Lmao!! If that was the case I'd have some serious build up for nine months out of the year. W's good people I'm sure. Good for what I'll never know.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

IMHO and w/ no scientific basis. I believe that we either lost or had one year w/ a very bad trout spawn. 2 -3 years ago w were catching larger than normal trout, Last year was average size . This year the guides and fishermen that catch are catching up to 12
dinks for maybe 1 keeper. Plenty of fish being caught and the winter time fishing and next spring is going to be on fire as all the dinks will be keepers by then. I have seen this happen more than a few times over the 40+ years i have fished there. No shortage of trout. They may not be where Capt wray wants them to be but they are there.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
IMHO and w/ no scientific basis. I believe that we either lost or had one year w/ a very bad trout spawn. 2 -3 years ago w were catching larger than normal trout, Last year was average size . This year the guides and fishermen that catch are catching up to 12
dinks for maybe 1 keeper. Plenty of fish being caught and the winter time fishing and next spring is going to be on fire as all the dinks will be keepers by then. I have seen this happen more than a few times over the 40+ years i have fished there. No shortage of trout. They may not be where Capt wray wants them to be but they are there.
im sure all those chemicals from the BP mess HAD to have an effect on fish, weather its impact is greater in the growing patterns, spawning patterns, or just running them off tradition areas to find completely new areas we aren't used to finding them in.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 774
Default A little bit on trout biology

Posted this to FB earlier. Seems fitting to post here as well.

(I’m using speckled trout as an example here. This same general principle goes for any fish. Kinda hoping MathGeek reads this and chimes in.)

Why do speckled trout eat?

They eat because their bodies require energy to do 3 things: Survive, Grow and Reproduce.

Each of these stages in a young trout’s life is based on the preceding factor. It cannot grow without first meeting its basic needs for survival. Likewise, it cannot reproduce efficiently without first having an adult body.

When food is plentiful and conditions are right, the survival stage is met rather easily. The trout in this set of conditions grow rapidly, and, once they reach adulthood, reproduce often. This set of conditions has a high carrying capacity.

On the other hand, when food is scarce or conditions make survival difficult, less energy is spent on grown in order to ensure the young trout’s survival. This results in trout that are smaller when compared to other fish in more ideal conditions. This condition set has a lower carrying capacity.

And now to the point…

It’s been a tough spring for us in Barataria Bay, that’s a given. The amount of “keeper” trout is down from previous years. It has some people panicking and wanting reduced limits. To say the sky is falling and the estuary is crashing is foolhardy. What we have is a problem in meeting the trout’s first and most important life factor, Survival.

To prove this theory, all you have to do is go out into the bay and fish for a while. You will be bombarded by 10”-11” fish. These are our “keeper” fish under normal conditions from previous years. The absolute brutal winter we’ve just been through made surviving difficult. It’s tough to hunt down, catch and digest food when your metabolism is in slow motion. A slow metabolism equates to less energy transfer and less energy means less growth. This is a basic principle to all life as we know it.

The silver lining to all of this is that conditions have become more favorable in the last few months. These 10”-11” trout are eating vigorously, because the amount of food available to them now is easily meeting their first stage of Survival.

What this equates to is all these undersized fish are growing, and growing fast. And, there’s a ton of them out there… We haven’t been keeping any of them because they don’t meet the minimum length requirement.

So what does this mean for the fishermen across the state? Once the cool fronts start coming down in October/November, be ready. The fall trout migration this year will have the potential to be awe-inspiring.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

This fall will be awesome. Can't wait.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

i was through reading once I saw dropped the creel limit from 25 to 6... poor guy obviously doesn't know how to fish.. If you can't catch your 25 in grand isle, something is wrong with you
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Flounder

Cash: 617

I'm a MS & LA angler and we've had a better year this summer than the last and it isn't even close. The only problem, if there is one, is the insane number of throwbacks. I've heard guides that fish MS & LA waters say they are very excited about the future b/c there have been so many 9-12 inch trout. More than usual.