Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,109

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
I've been in both also. Everyone has their own opinion. Haynie is lighter and narrower with a deep V, and doesn't plow into waves as hard. Seems to stay on top better. I have no problem with a triton, that's why I included it in boats to look for.
this is fact
I was not a believer until i came out of east pass in sabine in a 24 ho with it blowing about 20-25 sse.... was very impressed with how it got on top of the chop and didnt plow. Triton is a damn good boat though
Old 08-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

congrats on the new rig...those cape bays are great boats
Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748

How does it ride!?? I can only find a handful of owners. One of them is on thehulltruth.com and he seems to like his pretty well.

I'm very curious about that hull!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

The boat is completely amazing. The first day we took it out I had 4 people in it and we were in 1-2 foot chop. No problem. I was worried about the boat not having trim tabs but once I figured out how it trimmed on plane I was able to get the bow down and it knifed right through the slop with ease. Cruised at 35-40 mph in some pretty bad chop. The second time I went out we tried to fish some rigs south of Grand Cheiner. Got out in the gulf to find 3 foot seas with the occasional 4'. Once again it took me a second to find the sweet spot as far as the trim and speed but was able to cruise at 20 -25 mph in the rough stuff. Didn't do too much fishing though it was rough. The third trip my bother and I went out to fish Tiger Shoals. The gulf was like glass so we ran out to find some Cobia. Ended up going 45 miles out. I have been cruising at 35k rpm making 35 mph burning 8.5 to 9 gal an hour. On the third trip we went 145 miles on 39 gal of gas. I opened up a couple of times to see what my speed was like at WOT. Got her up to 59. Think I could have broke 60 if I wasn't going against the current. It is really well designed. There is no hull slap what so ever. Its really quite. I will put some trim tabs on it for the simple fact I want to optimize my fuel consumption and I found I had to get the boat going faster that I wanted to to get the nose down in the chop. But after about putting 10 hours on the motor I have no complaints. I love it. Be happy to show it to you. I am supposed to go to Venice in Oct. I pass through Luling so just let me know.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748

Looks like you are seeing 3.8 MPG at 3500 rpm. That's not bad at all for a 300.

I would love to see the boat.

If you do put trim tabs on it, I would mount them a wee but higher than the instructions say. It will help get them out of the water more when they are in the retracted position. In other words, they may hinder the bow from airing out if they mounted to low. I experienced that on my old flats skiff.