SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM
bluewing's Avatar
bluewing bluewing is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: south louisiana
Posts: 617
Cash: 963
Default

seems like they would end up on the bank with no weight
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
1fastmerc's Avatar
1fastmerc 1fastmerc is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,680
Cash: 1,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
What is the law on jugsi n LA, how many total, number of hooks per line and any label requirements?
Texas and Ok have some crazy laws when it comes to jug lines
As far as I know there is limit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 PM
7and7fish 7and7fish is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jennings
Posts: 80
Cash: 530
Default

I don't leave mine out. Running in shallow bays and drifting them down wind.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM
cduhon's Avatar
cduhon cduhon is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sulphur
Posts: 458
Cash: 1,411
Default

I have been stopped in Sabine and game warden told me 10 jugs and all must have my name, address, phone number and license # on them. Not sure the rules elsewhere

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 PM
1fastmerc's Avatar
1fastmerc 1fastmerc is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,680
Cash: 1,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduhon View Post
I have been stopped in Sabine and game warden told me 10 jugs and all must have my name, address, phone number and license # on them. Not sure the rules elsewhere

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
I think thats because it has something to do with texas.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM
elebouef elebouef is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: At Home
Posts: 360
Cash: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
What part of the intracoastol. I'm going out there with my wife and kids this Saturday. I'm going to have some of my uncles jug lines. He gave me strict instructions on not losing them. I'd be ticked off if I caught someone doing that to mine. The other weekend on the Calcaseau river I had some missing every morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had them starting where the Lacassine and Icy(205) crosses coming back toward the east. The wind was something fierce that day
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM
1fastmerc's Avatar
1fastmerc 1fastmerc is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,680
Cash: 1,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elebouef View Post
I had them starting where the Lacassine and Icy(205) crosses coming back toward the east. The wind was something fierce that day
That's sounds like the area I'll be in Saturday. Hopefully u don't encounter anybody stealing my stuff. It may get ugly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Marshrat's Avatar
Marshrat Marshrat is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Andrus Cove, La
Posts: 485
Cash: 910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
What is the law on jugsi n LA, how many total, number of hooks per line and any label requirements?
Texas and Ok have some crazy laws when it comes to jug lines

There is no limit on the amount of hooks you have out. The only restrictions are on the amount of fish you can have. You are allowed 100 catfish of any one species or a combination of channel, blue or flathead catfish. You can have only 25 fish that measure less than the minimum size limit, blue = 12", channel = 11" and flathead = 14".



Warren
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 AM
T-Bone T-Bone is offline
Email Address Not Verified
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 437
Cash: 111
Default

This jug line thing has really peaked my interest. A few questions. Is the hook touching bottom or is it free floating? Do you use a weight on bottom to hold in one spot? Do you tie the noodle to a tree or limb so it doesn't float away? Any more ideas would be great.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Marshrat's Avatar
Marshrat Marshrat is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Andrus Cove, La
Posts: 485
Cash: 910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
This jug line thing has really peaked my interest. A few questions. Is the hook touching bottom or is it free floating? Do you use a weight on bottom to hold in one spot? Do you tie the noodle to a tree or limb so it doesn't float away? Any more ideas would be great.

If fishing for catfish, most people just let the lines drift with the current and wind. Usually about 2-3 ft of line below the float with one hook. When I fish for gar, I have about 15' of line with an 18" leader and let the bait drag the bottom. These lines will also drift with the current and wind, but not too bad because of the drag.


Warren
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM
mcjaredsandwich's Avatar
mcjaredsandwich mcjaredsandwich is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tx
Posts: 5,366
Cash: 726
Default

Interesting jugs! Read some discussion about noodle jugs on another thread. Will a big fish take the jug under?

Used to jug on lake grapevine 8 years ago. We used big bottles of all or tide, big jugs. We were also catching 35-45lb blues regularly.

sammich
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Red Devil's Avatar
Red Devil Red Devil is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jennings,LA
Posts: 3,875
Cash: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
Interesting jugs! Read some discussion about noodle jugs on another thread. Will a big fish take the jug under?

Used to jug on lake grapevine 8 years ago. We used big bottles of all or tide, big jugs. We were also catching 35-45lb blues regularly.

sammich
A big fish would take it under, but with the floatation of the noodle constatly trying to get to the surface, I would think the fish would eventually get tired of it and just go where the noodle pulls. Kinda like trying to take a soccer ball or something and try to swim to the bottom of a swimming pool.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 AM
cmcnabb's Avatar
cmcnabb cmcnabb is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: moss bluff
Posts: 1,229
Cash: 2,731
Default

They will pull my set up(thick pool noodle cut to about 12 inches) under but not keep it under for long. The biggest I've caught since I starting using them was pushing 30 and he would only keep it under a few seconds. I used to use a variety of plastic jugs and caught my biggest blue on a regular sized powerade bottle. He kept it under for what seemed to be about 30 seconds at a time
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Duck Butter's Avatar
Duck Butter Duck Butter is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Central La
Posts: 3,903
Cash: 3,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
A big fish would take it under, but with the floatation of the noodle constatly trying to get to the surface, I would think the fish would eventually get tired of it and just go where the noodle pulls. Kinda like trying to take a soccer ball or something and try to swim to the bottom of a swimming pool.
They always seem to go under just as you go to grab em
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Red Devil's Avatar
Red Devil Red Devil is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jennings,LA
Posts: 3,875
Cash: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
They always seem to go under just as you go to grab em
Very true. Found these on the web. Seems like they would work pretty good. Shouldn't need a weight inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flagging_2_jug_photo_1.jpg (39.8 KB, 270 views)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
LouisianaLonghorn's Avatar
LouisianaLonghorn LouisianaLonghorn is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DeRidder, Louisiana
Posts: 76
Cash: 678
Default

Just a reminder if any of you guys fish Toledo Bend for catfish...the regulations have changed some on the number of fish you can have...I'm not sure what the new ones are, but a Game Warden friend mentioned it the other day. I think the new regulations apply to the Sabine River below the dam as well. I guess the LDWF website would have the new regulations. This may be old info to some of you but I just heard about it.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Red Devil's Avatar
Red Devil Red Devil is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jennings,LA
Posts: 3,875
Cash: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaLonghorn View Post
Just a reminder if any of you guys fish Toledo Bend for catfish...the regulations have changed some on the number of fish you can have...I'm not sure what the new ones are, but a Game Warden friend mentioned it the other day. I think the new regulations apply to the Sabine River below the dam as well. I guess the LDWF website would have the new regulations. This may be old info to some of you but I just heard about it.
I also heard the laws differ from each side of the lake too.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM
7and7fish 7and7fish is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jennings
Posts: 80
Cash: 530
Default

ive caught 30lb cats on this set up. they take it under butt not long. i prefer to let mine drift to cover more water. buddy of mine has the same set up butt with an added eye on opposite end with 18 foot of line and a cement weight for fishing in current.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Armand16's Avatar
Armand16 Armand16 is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 2,601
Cash: 4,509
Default

can u bait jug lines with bream?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Montauk17's Avatar
Montauk17 Montauk17 is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 10,803
Cash: 2,638
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
can u bait jug lines with bream?
Yep
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map