SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,329
Hairout Car Insurance

Since March 1st, my BIL, SIL, Sister and I have all been involved in a wreck that wasn't our fault. The guy I hit (he ran a stop sign) is the ONLY one that had insurance, but it wasn't presented at the time of the wreck due to him not having the current info in his truck.

My little sister got hit today by a guy with no insurance and begged her to wait to call the cops so he could call and and get insurance before they showed up. He did call and was able to get insurance (while the cop was on her way) and tried to play the cop by telling her he had it before the accident. She smelled the rat and he received a ticket for not having insurance.

MY BIL and SIL both had to come out of pocket with money to pay their deductible to get their vehicles fixed, and now they run the risk of having their insurance go up.

My question is why and how can we as law abiding citizens of LA make this stop!! You are supposed to have car insurance, but this proves about 25% of us follow the law to some extent. The IRS can fine us for not having health insurance, but we have no way of making sure people that are driving have vehicle insurance!!! Rant over!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh C View Post
Since March 1st, my BIL, SIL, Sister and I have all been involved in a wreck that wasn't our fault. The guy I hit (he ran a stop sign) is the ONLY one that had insurance, but it wasn't presented at the time of the wreck due to him not having the current info in his truck.

My little sister got hit today by a guy with no insurance and begged her to wait to call the cops so he could call and and get insurance before they showed up. He did call and was able to get insurance (while the cop was on her way) and tried to play the cop by telling her he had it before the accident. She smelled the rat and he received a ticket for not having insurance.

MY BIL and SIL both had to come out of pocket with money to pay their deductible to get their vehicles fixed, and now they run the risk of having their insurance go up.

My question is why and how can we as law abiding citizens of LA make this stop!! You are supposed to have car insurance, but this proves about 25% of us follow the law to some extent. The IRS can fine us for not having health insurance, but we have no way of making sure people that are driving have vehicle insurance!!! Rant over!

It's been a while since i posted on here, but I happen to sell insurance so i thought i would provide you with some insight on this.

Louisiana certainly has issues with uninsured and even moreso - Underinsured drivers. (The reasons for this are varied, but i agree with you, ,and 100% agree that it needs to be addressed)

As an option to you and others to avoid out of pocket expenses and / or losses in which you are not at fault, Louisiana is one of the few states that allows insurance companies to offer UM / UIM PD coverage.

uninsured motorist property damage coverage pays for damage to your vehicle when it is struck by an uninsured driver, a hit-and-run driver, or an insured driver whose property damage liability limit is inadequate to cover the property damage losses incurred. This coverage can be added to any policy that does not have collision coverage on it, and with most companies it typically offers 25K of coverage with a 250$ deductible. Generally speaking these are relatively low cost additions to your current automobile policy (in example i personally pay 43$ total for 6 months (7/month) to add this to my policy.

I am not really thrilled that this basically means you get to pay more money in insurance, because some other person is being irresponsible.

But i guess it's a "That's how the cookie crumble's" kind of situation.

Best Regards,
Ace
Old 07-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Flounder

Cash: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
It's been a while since i posted on here, but I happen to sell insurance so i thought i would provide you with some insight on this.

Louisiana certainly has issues with uninsured and even moreso - Underinsured drivers. (The reasons for this are varied, but i agree with you, ,and 100% agree that it needs to be addressed)

As an option to you and others to avoid out of pocket expenses and / or losses in which you are not at fault, Louisiana is one of the few states that allows insurance companies to offer UM / UIM PD coverage.

uninsured motorist property damage coverage pays for damage to your vehicle when it is struck by an uninsured driver, a hit-and-run driver, or an insured driver whose property damage liability limit is inadequate to cover the property damage losses incurred. This coverage can be added to any policy that does not have collision coverage on it, and with most companies it typically offers 25K of coverage with a 250$ deductible. Generally speaking these are relatively low cost additions to your current automobile policy (in example i personally pay 43$ total for 6 months (7/month) to add this to my policy.

I am not really thrilled that this basically means you get to pay more money in insurance, because some other person is being irresponsible.

But i guess it's a "That's how the cookie crumble's" kind of situation.

Best Regards,
Ace
Great point on the under insured part of your post. My wife takes multiple depositions each week on those situations. Like you, it caused us to increase our own coverage. Also, as I'm sure you know there are plenty of people out there looking to get into minor accidents so they can get mandatory minimums from insurance companies. It's a way of life for more people than most can imagine.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfish View Post
Great point on the under insured part of your post. My wife takes multiple depositions each week on those situations. Like you, it caused us to increase our own coverage. Also, as I'm sure you know there are plenty of people out there looking to get into minor accidents so they can get mandatory minimums from insurance companies. It's a way of life for more people than most can imagine.
Well said fishfish!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,329

Ace,

Like most of us on here, we are all overpaying to over insure ourselves so we have as little of a headache as possible when this happens to us. I have all the riders and options I need as my Nanny owns an insurance agency and is my agent, so she takes really good care of me.

I go back to my main question, how can we prevent all these people from driving without having insurance???

Josh
Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh C View Post
Ace,

Like most of us on here, we are all overpaying to over insure ourselves so we have as little of a headache as possible when this happens to us. I have all the riders and options I need as my Nanny owns an insurance agency and is my agent, so she takes really good care of me.

I go back to my main question, how can we prevent all these people from driving without having insurance???

Josh
Roger that, Wasn't sure if you knew about the UM & UIM PD option

In my humble opinion its easy enough for the state to track who has active insurance policies. Anyone without an active insurance policy should have there license suspended until insurance is reaquired. There is a lot more than just the above that needs to be addressed... But... i think it would be a good start.