SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default 8-16-18 Calcasieu Crappie

Was on water for sunrise. I went looking for bigger Crappie on main river channel and first couple hours only had a couple fish. Fished from Burnettes Bay to Dans Bay. Main river up by Dans bay was starting to muddy up some. I just hope that's not wats coming down from up north. Have 3-4 spots I fish main river up there and none produced any fish. So while I was there I went up in Dans bay and fished a couple of my holes and caught 8 keeper Crappie. Water a lot better in bay. That bite played out so around 1045 I'm thinking of calling it I got too hot fishing that last hole with no breeze wat so ever and directly in sun. As I'm cruising back to the dock wind has cooled me off there is this one hole by Goos Bay I caught 30-40 Crappie on last year and tried it many many times again and only caught one more very nice 13"ER on last year. Tried it once this year and not a bite. It's in the shade so I decide to give it a try. I don't even tie up like I usually do thinking none will be there I'm just using trolling motor. First two drops I hang up and pop line on two of my rod and reels. That has happened a lot today, lol. I have one more rod set up so I give it one more shot. Couple minutes go by and nothing. So I put my line on the deeper side of tree top and start getting things picked up to call it a day. It's just after 11am now. I get my rods picked up all my trash in a bag and fixing to troll out and look over and my cork is under. There it is my first Crappie on this hole in almost a year. There is not a good way to tie up here and unless u know the tree is there u will never see it but after moving around getting fish in box and re baiting my motor got hung up on something up close to bank and center of boat is sitting on top of tree. So I get everything close to me within arms reach so I don't have to move much and sit there til noon catching Crappie one after another til just after noon. Finally one gets me hung up in the branch and I didn't break my line but after bending those gold hooks back in shape many times after getting hung up they will finally just break. I look over at my other two rods and , well they sitting there with no hooks rigged either. Have not done a count yet and decide enough is enough. Would not have stayed that long if not for the excellent shade cover and of course the good bite. I call it and head for dock. Get back and I have 33 Crappie in the box. None or wat I call big. No 12"ers or 13ers today or even the 16"ers and 17"ers I was hoping for but good keeper river Crappie. Last year when I caught them on this tree everyone of them were black Crappie and bigger. This time everyone of them were white Crappie so just a little smaller. White Crappie on the river tend to be a little longer and black Crappie thicker and heavier. All my Crappie I've caught on river over 12" have been white Crappie. Any way that one spot saved the day and I left them biting so hope they there again and not a remake of last year. Sry no pics I went home to take a nap and these were actually for a good friend of mine that ran out of Crappie from last years so he picked them up before I got a pic. May try to go Sunday idk I hate fishing weekends and especially Crappie fishing on tree tops with every one running up and down river playing makes it difficult. Tight lines all.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

Way to salvage a morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2018, 05:27 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Great report and trip. My neighbor left an hour ago to try for some bass on the river.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Great report and trip. My neighbor left an hour ago to try for some bass on the river.
Well what he caught?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Well what he caught?

I have not talked with him/her yet.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Well what he caught?

He said that they caught about 15 bass in a little over 2 hours. 8 were keepers. 4 of the bass were 2 to 3 lbs.

His wife caught most of the fish [he does not really like fishing]. Most were caught on Watermelon worms, but got lots of snags and lost baits.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
He said that they caught about 15 bass in a little over 2 hours. 8 were keepers. 4 of the bass were 2 to 3 lbs.

His wife caught most of the fish [he does not really like fishing]. Most were caught on Watermelon worms, but got lots of snags and lost baits.
Ahhh not bad