SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075
Default blind flaps

does anyone have any good designs of blind flaps? I'm looking at putting 4 flaps, i wanna make them and make them spring loaded if thats possible. anyone has any suggestions on how or a way how they have designed theres?
Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

My wife has a couple of blind flaps but I don't think they are spring loaded!
Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

We have made some out of some tubing and bend it to whatever length u need and bolt it to some angle iron for.ur pivot point and get some dura-cover and spray paint it to match the kind of cover ur are hunting.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
My wife has a couple of blind flaps but I don't think they are spring loaded!
Latt.

If Ur wife see's this post?? Those so called flap's may not open TO U for a while..
Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,783

We've built them out of 2x4 and 2x2 but never went the spring loaded route. It's a good idea but I like simple dependable and functionality, which you may be able to do but I trust opening it myself more than bungies and springs, but good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Bungee cords attached to the front of the flap and up behind it to give it tension. If the angle is over 180 degrees the doors wont open until you push them and they will fling open. When your done hunting just detach the cords so they wont rot.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
does anyone have any good designs of blind flaps? I'm looking at putting 4 flaps, i wanna make them and make them spring loaded if thats possible. anyone has any suggestions on how or a way how they have designed theres?
I've seen it done a bunch of ways. PVC is the easiest. Rebar will last the longest, but good luck spring loading them. The wooden ones suck. They are all a pain in the a$S for the most part. My neighbor has one on each side of his blind and when they both fold in cover the top. The rebar is like 1/4 or something and hinged inside 3 or 4 3/4" pipe thats welded on rebar and drove about a foot. Same principle with the PVC flap is smaller OD then hinge ID. Another buddy just has one on the back thats almost covers the width but you can see out of the front, easier to flip up but it sucks if the birds are behind you. I guess you could find some kind of spring loaded hinge that would work. I had some PVC ones for a while but got sick of messing with them. I just dress my blind really well, don't let anyone walk on the levee's to keep the grass uniform and not trampled. One way in one way out. I try to keep the middle of the blind covered and only usually hunt with one other person, two max in a 12'. It may help in a bigger blind, I really only hunt specks though and usually am a nazi about everyone staying down until I stop calling. I would probably use them if I hunted with kids or was guiding, but the boys that hunt with me ain't too nervous.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I've tried PVC and they didn't last a season. I'd try aluminum or steel square tubing
Old 10-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

Spring loading the trap is pointless, it's just as easy to throw the trap as it is to release the spring. Use rebar for the frame, and tack a few nuts and bolts to the blind for easily adjusting how open you would like the top to be. I can consult this fabrication for the cost of a spot in the blind.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Assuming this is a metal pit blind.

Get you some hog panel, smaller squares than stock panel, easy to weave or tie brush to.

Cut it 24-30 inches wide, depending on the width of the blind, and 2 feet long sections. 8 foot blind would have 4, and 10 foot would have 5. So only the panels that need to be opened, depending on the amount of hunters, open, and when it's slow you don't have to open the whole blind.

Make you some u brackets that the panel can fit into loose, and use self tapping screws to secure to blind right below top rim. Then just bend the panel to the desired angle.

You do a set for the back and the front, and when you bend them, you can make them overlap.

Light weight, easy to open and close, and will last the life of the blind.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

You may want them were they slide open. If you have them spring open. You will be getting your first shot after the birds have already flared.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

My buddy has some blind flaps that he made for ours with square tubing. It was pretty light to flip manually. When we used them the blind covered very well. I believe they are 6 ft long 30 in wide, we had 4 of them. Pretty sure he will sell them if you are intetrstef
Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 655

I started making some this year, I patterned them after gatortrax boats gator hide gen 2. I made them out of 1/16 al square tubing I believe they have youtube videos of them in action. I can shoot a video if you need.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a34u View Post
I started making some this year, I patterned them after gatortrax boats gator hide gen 2. I made them out of 1/16 al square tubing I believe they have youtube videos of them in action. I can shoot a video if you need.
post some pictures too if you dont mind
Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Sand Trout

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414028961.639068.jpg

Old 10-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Sand Trout

Here Is a video , the hunter would obviously be closer to the hinge. Don't mind the big guy, he's smarter than he looks!