SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 650
Default Crabbing????

I'm going crabbing with a bunch of friends, we are going to be crabbing off the banks with kids, any help as to where would be appreciated.(Around the Cameron area). Trying to avoid the Rock. Reserve due to alot of people.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

There as some fairly good places along Hwy 27......either south of Hackberry or down south toward Creole. I sometimes here good reports from the Sabine NR area.

I am not sure what the "Parking" regulations are to park along the road. Most of the cars that do park along the road.....could be illegal.

I tried along the road going to Rutherford beach one time. Every time I tried to pull in a string with a crab on it....the crab would let go.

One thing that I find that really helps is to go Walmart and buy some of the metal shower curtain holders. If you just tie your string to your bait....the crabs will cut the string while eating the meat. Using the metal "shower curtain" to stick through the bait will keep you from loosing as many baits. If you sharpen the tip it makes it much easier to stick it through the meat.

When crabbing in Sabine NR.....your are suppose to use "Cotton" string. I don't think that rule has changed.

Another spot that could be very good.....if allowed.....would be at the Calcasieu Point landing fish cleaning table area. With all the fish heads put in the water.....there has got to be a bunch of crabs there. I have thought about just anchoring there in the boat and give it a try.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Tripletail

Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 600

You CANNOT park on the side of the road and crab in the Creole area, the Cameron Parish Sheriff Deputy politely informed me the last time I tried that. He did say that if you go down toward Rutherford Beach there were some places you could stop and get out, but you have to go down quite a ways.
They are catching crabs in the Lacassine pool right now too, Pool D, through the gate past the launch on the South side of the little bridge. Limit there is 5 Dozen per vehicle, bring lots of ice chests, good luck.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

We went crabbing at Rockfella Refuge today. Only caught about
3 dozen worth keeping. Caught hundreds of little ones. Lots of
people eveywhere.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

just got back from barrier..(im wore the heck out) we caught around a dozen in bout hr and 1/2 or so. going back in morning. they big with this full moon
Old 06-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
just got back from barrier..(im wore the heck out) we caught around a dozen in bout hr and 1/2 or so. going back in morning. they big with this full moon
Fool you got to take a break every now and then. All them hardheads at the boat stall wore you out.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Tripletail

Well we went and did not do good, alot of little ones, talked to serveral people and no one was doing good the story of my live, should been here yesterday. We went to Laccasine pool and caught a dozen really nice crabs. But the kids had fun and no one got pinched by a crab.