SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226
Default Live bait for trout..do you consider this sporting?

Just to let you know where i stand, I use my live well for storage. I find using artificial lures far more satisfying in the pursuit of trout than the use of live bait...including dead shrimp on a grub tail.
It seems down here out of VB more than half the fishermen use live bait to fish the wells and platforms. I just don't see the sport in taking a live shrimp or croaker and dangling this in front of a trout. They gonna eat it no matter what the conditions are. I've found in the last coupla years that the live bait movement has moved to the reefs big time. I stopped fishing the rigs because of the proliferation of live bait fishermen; hard to compete next to a boat fishing LB when you're throwing plastic...I just move on to other areas.

I sound like I'm complaining but I have no problem with anyone who chooses to LB fish. I guess w/ the price of fuel and expenses involved with trout fishing that some guys want to stack the odds in their favor the bring home some meat. I've noticed even on BL that some of the guides use live shrimp for their sports, is this the only way you can catch fish at certain times on BL or is this just to hurry and fill a limit?

Should LB be allowed in trout fishing tournaments or artificial only?

Like to hear your thoughts..

Last edited by Reefman; 04-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
Just to let you know where i stand, I use my live well for storage. I find using artificial lures far more satisfying is the pursuit of trout than the use of live bait...including dead shrimp on a grub tail.
It seems down here out of VB more than half the fishermen use live bait to fish the wells and platforms. I just don't see the sport in taking a live shrimp or croaker and dangling this in front of a trout. They gonna eat it no matter what the conditions are. I've found in the last coupla years that the live bait movement has moved to the reefs big time. I stopped fishing the rigs because of the proliferation of live bait fishermen; hard to compete next to a boat fishing LB when you're throwing plastic...I just move on to other areas.

I sound like I'm complaining but I have no problem with anyone who chooses to LB fish. I guess w/ the price of fuel and expenses involved with trout fishing that some guys want to stack the odds in their favor the bring home some meat. I've noticed even on BL that some of the guides use live shrimp for their sports, is this the only way you can catch fish at certain times on BL or is this just to hurry and fill a limit?

Should LB be allowed in trout fishing tournaments or artificial only?

Like to hear your thoughts..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right-On-Bro2.jpg (64.8 KB, 550 views)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Flounder

Cash: 661

I have nothing against live or dead bait. My PB 29" Speck was caught on cut bait. There is an art to catching big Specks on cut bait. My great uncle taught me how to prepare and rig the bait.

However, I have converted to mostly arties over the last couple of years. I agree there is something about working the bait to find fish. Feeling the strike. Being more in tune with what’s going on around you. Drinking less beer while fishing. I also do a lot more catch and release.

The only problem I have is my two 14 year old boys. To keep them interested, they have to catch fish. So we do use live or cut bait just so they can catch something. They don’t really care what is on the hook at this point. I have started teaching them about arties, but it’s a slow process.

As far as tournaments, I think that’s up to the sponsor running it. I could see a case for lure only tournaments as more companies try to get their products out into the saltwater community.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddct View Post

The only problem I have is my two 14 year old boys. To keep them interested, they have to catch fish. So we do use live or cut bait just so they can catch something. They don’t really care what is on the hook at this point. I have started teaching them about arties, but it’s a slow process.
Well I can tell you this 1st hand........My dad never let us use live or dead bait at all......
I can remember when we was fishing next to a boat and they had live shrimp ripping them end left and right.....I told my dad...We need some live Shrimp...
He said and you tell me what those guys are learning from this fishing trip???

Im glad he never let us use Live bait....Might of wished on some trips we did but now Im thankful we didnt
Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

I like using artificail especially topwater nothing like a trout or red smacking a topwater. Way more satisfying.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I love live bait late summer. SOWS!! And oh yea live bait offshore too. And for catfish. And bass like live bait too!!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 809
Default Live bait

I have two kinds of trips....Fishing with my buddies, artificial ONLY! no exceptions....When taking my family or my Dad (CONVINCED SOMETHING LIVE OR DEAD IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO "OLD SKEWL") I always use live or dead, because I have tough enough time serving as deckhand baiting, re-rigging, rebuilding reels, re-spooling, getting them drinks, etc....that I couldn't imagine the hangups and lost $$$ in my artificial lures...

I feel it is more of a challenge to look at water clarity, light, tidal movement, time of year, stage the fish are in and determining what to use out of the box...ofcourse we have our go-to baits, but to have the discipline to go away from that and adjust, then when you get into them with the change, makes the whole trip...That's the way I see it anyway....Ofcourse if nothing else, we can break out the nikon glasses and spot that Haynie and see what he is throwing!!! A little "LONG DISTANCE POTLICKING!" Commonly refered to as SNIPER LICKING....
Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Buck View Post
I have two kinds of trips....Fishing with my buddies, artificial ONLY! no exceptions....When taking my family or my Dad (CONVINCED SOMETHING LIVE OR DEAD IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO "OLD SKEWL") I always use live or dead, because I have tough enough time serving as deckhand baiting, re-rigging, rebuilding reels, re-spooling, getting them drinks, etc....that I couldn't imagine the hangups and lost $$$ in my artificial lures...

I feel it is more of a challenge to look at water clarity, light, tidal movement, time of year, stage the fish are in and determining what to use out of the box...ofcourse we have our go-to baits, but to have the discipline to go away from that and adjust, then when you get into them with the change, makes the whole trip...That's the way I see it anyway....Ofcourse if nothing else, we can break out the nikon glasses and spot that Haynie and see what he is throwing!!! A little "LONG DISTANCE POTLICKING!" Commonly refered to as SNIPER LICKING....

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Redfish

Default Just Messing with ya...

You know I'm just messing with you dub.... I've never even fished Big Lake....
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Redfish

While I'm at it, if you lay on the bow and rest the optics on trolling motor mount, this would be "prone long distance sniper licking" Utilizing the trolling motor as concealment....If you prop up, in a standing position and rest on your T-top risers, this would be considered a "Standing Pilgrim Licking Sniper"....I really need to stop!!! No, I don't have a T-top
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

If you think anyone can catch a limit of trout with live bait, come fishing with me. I'll prove you wrong
Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Redfish

I know that's right...Been there, done that!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

My buddies' boss fishes VBay alot and has a camp out there. He drives all the way to Cocodrie with a huge baitwell in the back of his truck and fills it up with prob 1000 croakers and brings em back to VBay where he has a big bait well under his camp. That's crazy!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I'm old school........
I fish to catch fish.

And what ever it takes to catch them is what I will use.
I've had days in Grand Isle where artificial was better than live shrimp

Beleive it or not
Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
I'm old school........
I fish to catch fish.

And what ever it takes to catch them is what I will use.
I've had days in Grand Isle where artificial was better than live shrimp

Beleive it or not
I believe it cause I've done the same. I prefer to catch on artificial, but I'm not afraid to get some live bait in the summer sometimes. I also get bait when there are people fishing with me that don't really know what they are doing cause I want them to have a good time and catch fish. Fishing is fun to me so I don't take it as seriously as some people on here.

As far as tournaments go I think if it is a charity tourney live bait should be allowed because it is for fun and to support a good cause. You will get more people to fish in a tourney when bait is allowed. If it is a "professional" tourney I think artie only cause its for big money and everybody knows how to fish and adapt to different conditions
Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 639

Some people fish to catch fish, and the "sport" is just lagniappe. I use whatever the fish seem to watch, because I want 25 trout coming home with me.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

No it is not sporting to use live bait, I never use it, but if thats what it takes for a person to catch fish I understand. With the advancement of plastics its hard to see why so many people still use live bait.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I much rather use plastic or hard baits....but during the summer I'm not scared to soak live bait.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396

I fish because I love it, but I also fish to eat. Im not one to waste gas and time unless the freezer is full, I like throwin artificial for the challenge and you have to figure out the pattern for that day. But when its all said and done I just like the fight whether its live bait or artificial
Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

I prefer to use artificial. But fir the SC tourney ill be soaking mullet fa sho!