SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Flounder

Cash: 556
Default Hand Gun

I am looking to get a hand gun to keep at the house. I am looking for something that my wife would be able to handle as well. Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Get a revolver.

Talk with Southern 151 her can hook you up.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

we have a judge at the house... my lady shoots it fine. might seem like a lot but anything would be too much with no practice.
the shells you can put in a judge are hard to beat for sure!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Does she enjoy shooting enough that she will practice? How big or her hands? Tiny hands then get a Khar. Average size hands then go with a Glock. If she likes shooting then think aboit a 1911. My wife has small hands but shoots my 1911 just fine. If you know someone that has some different styles of handguns and would be willing to let her try a few that would be the way to go.
My wife has small hands and shoots a Khar in 45acp. Fine weapon.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Redfish

Cash: 634

This is probably more suited for you, rather than your wife. Last year I picked up a Springfield XDM Compact 9mm. Its a sweet little handgun. Comes with a 19 rd. mag and a 13 rd. mag (which makes it a compact).
Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 556

Thanks for the info. No, she would not go out and shoot it very much. Maybe just a few times to get the feel for it. She wants one for protection at the house, so to me, this gave me the green light to go out and buy a new toy. Just asking for suggestions as to what to get and look for.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

my sister has a couple of the sub compact glocks she really likes, but with a pistol she better practice if she has to use it. Its not easy to hit a still target, much less a moving one if you arent used to handling guns. I would really recommend a home defense shotgun. just point in the right direction and pull the trigger.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
my sister has a couple of the sub compact glocks she really likes, but with a pistol she better practice if she has to use it. Its not easy to hit a still target, much less a moving one if you arent used to handling guns. I would really recommend a home defense shotgun. just point in the right direction and pull the trigger.
Can't disaggree with this at all. Maybe a .22 for her pocket or purse and a 20 or 12ga for in the house. A 20ga load of low brass #6's will do the job across the living room on down the hall.
This is also were the Taurus Judge is great. Put a load of #6's in ole boys face at 20' and he no longer wants to steal your tv or rape your wife.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
This is probably more suited for you, rather than your wife. Last year I picked up a Springfield XDM Compact 9mm. Its a sweet little handgun. Comes with a 19 rd. mag and a 13 rd. mag (which makes it a compact).
I can vouch for that. I have that exact gun. Wether it's factory rounds, reloads, even my lead cast bullets-it eats everything I feed it. And not much kick. Don't sell women short on a 9mm...they might surprise you.