SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Redfish

Cash: 685
Default Toledo Bend

Found the bass at Toledo Bend this past weekend. Went with my brother, cousin and a friend and caught 145 bass between Friday and Sunday. The water level was really low making it a little more challenging to find somewhere close to launch but we got it done. Most fish caught on top water and flukes. Even though we found the fish, we never found the big ones. Fish to keeper ratio was a little low, but I would catch 12-16 inch bass all day.

First picture is from the first day before we cleaned fish, second is the view from the cabin we rented at South Toledo Bend State Park. You can see how low the water is. I have been fishing Toledo Bend for about 15 years and I have never seen the water this low. Made for some nervous boat rides...especially when you pass a log/tree/floater in the middle of the boat lane. Keep it slow and be careful out there.

Jordan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toledo_Bend_2011_1.jpg (84.7 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg Toledo_Bend_2011_3.jpg (87.9 KB, 250 views)
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Where were you able to go from there to launch?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

Man that water is low. nice haul
Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Redfish

We crossed the dam and lanched at a recreational area on the Texas Side. When you cross the dam, take a right on Texas Highway 255. About a mile or so down on your right there is a small tackle store. Take a right at the store and the boat lauch is right there.

The launch at the state park was closed and the closest launch to the north is Pirates Cove Marina, but you had to pay to launch there. The Tx Rec Area Launch was free. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

nice!! I've never been there. Water looks super clean
Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

Nice fish. The water is low and looks clear
Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Redfish

Water was decent. We got a little rain while we were there so it was slightly stained in some areas. Looking at the radar, they got a lot of rain this morning too, so it might be a little more stained in the feeder creeks and coves.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
nice!! I've never been there. Water looks super clean
As much as you bass fish and you never been to toledo? You missing out....I like sam rayborn whice is not much longer of a drive. Of course rayborn is at record lows too right now. Nice catch Evin
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

South Toledo bend state park? We stayed at that same spot....... .......................
Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

If you don't like your lower unit or your life...run full speed through some of the boat lanes...lol
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Redfish

Yeah, the state park is really nice. The cabins are some of the best on the lake for the price in my opinion. Great locations for us because we like to fish Indian Creek and Buck Creek. And when the water is up, their boat launch is pretty nice.

Stayed at Pirates Cove two years ago and it was clean, but the cabin was about as big a my bedroom and didn't have a full kitchen. The State Park cabins are really big with a nice big living room with TV and sat TV. Full size kitchen and nice clean bathrooms.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvinFord View Post
Yeah, the state park is really nice. The cabins are some of the best on the lake for the price in my opinion. Great locations for us because we like to fish Indian Creek and Buck Creek. And when the water is up, their boat launch is pretty nice.

Stayed at Pirates Cove two years ago and it was clean, but the cabin was about as big a my bedroom and didn't have a full kitchen. The State Park cabins are really big with a nice big living room with TV and sat TV. Full size kitchen and nice clean bathrooms.
Yep we stayed in the exact same cabin I think. I have a similar sunset pic like that..

Spent a many a nights around the little fire pit
Old 07-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Swordfish

Quote:

Ive stayed at South Toledo state park a few times and they never had tv. Guess thats somethin recent.
My wife and I stayed in a cabin there for our honeymoon (tight budget). I got sick and it rained the whole time. On the day we were leaving the rain stopped so I launched the boat, battery was dead because the dash light got left on. Park is very nice though. Great for kids.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Yep we stayed in the exact same cabin I think. I have a similar sunset pic like that..

Spent a many a nights around the little fire pit
I always try and stay in cabin 6 i think it is. Its the spot that has only 3 cabins in the pod (6, 7, and 8), all the rest if 5 or so which means more people. That view looks familiar to me too.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Redfish

My only complaint with the state park cabins is the lack of truck/boat parking. I guess they assume you will keep you boat in the water and leave your truck and trailer at the launch, but I prefer to trailer my boat at night so I can charge the battery.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

water looks purdy!!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

Nice catch. Any night time fishing involved or early and late days?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,829

Nice catch, i was doing some work at a guys house in lafayette today and he has a camp there and said the water was down like 10ft, i'm not sure thats just what he said.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

SRA calls 172' full pool but usually keep the lake around 170'. As of today it is 162.38'
Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:

How deep was yall fishing, I have a place just past that boat launch and am plannin a trip in a week or so. Thats a realy nice boat launch and its out of the wind, beware if anyone launches at Pirates the launch drops off if you go to far out.