SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I am wanting a 12gauge riot style and then build a holster/bracket on back of our head board of the bed just within reach of my wife's arm length, I figure we will both be able to reach from one side of the bed if needed but kids won't be able to reach it plus it will be completely out of site.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_snipe View Post
She should be appplauded. Too bad she missed (yeah I know she connected with 5 out of 6 rounds but he walked away so she missed).

Now all the comments about kids brings to mind a question. Who has shown their kids all of their firearms and how to load them & make them safe? Are they or have they handled each of their firearms?

Yeah I know that is more than a question but here is my rationale behind it. I believe if you show your children what your weapon is and what it will do. then how to safely handle it under supervision you take the mystery and awe away so they will obey the rules and better yet know how to SAFELY handle it if presented with an unexpected occurance. I believe everyone should be taught how to safely handle a firearm whether they ever take up shooting or not or even like firearms.

Now my choice for in home defense is 12 gauge loaded with bird or squirrel shot. Why that load you say? Simple at 15 to 20 which is in home shooting distance squirrel or bird shot will penetrate a persons torso with a small spread and not penetrate the wal behind him that buckshot may. Perp is just as dead and not going to repeat the offense.
That's a good question regarding kids and firearm education.

At this point, my daughter is two and, my son is five. I've started with my son already. The basics, no gun is EVER unloaded!!! No gun is ever to be pointed at anyone, ever. He knows and understands why we have a gun safe. I stress to him that, if not used properly, people may get hurt with a gun, or worse. I've started, recently, showing him how several of our firearms work and how to load magazines(we've also used this as a tool to improve his counting!...I know he can count to at least 30! LOL). He helps me clean our firearms after a day of shooting and has been with me twice to go shooting. Before we ever fired the first shot, he was shown what a fireline is and why we have it. That being said, I've been very cautious as to who is around while we're shooting because, sadly, I know people who are far less cautious when handling firearms and, I do not want him to pick up any habits from them.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

This was drilled into me in Boot Camp and sticks around forever.

The four rifle range safety rules are:
  • Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
  • Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.
  • Never point your weapon at anything you don’t intend to shoot. (muzzle awareness!!!)
  • Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I joined a rifle club way back when I was 12 years old. Besides getting to shoot once a week at the State Police indoor range, we always spent a few minutes each week to discuss gun safety in general.

One discussion was on gun safety rules. After discussing some rules [probably something from NRA] we [12 to 15+ years olds] came up with these rules.

Gun Safety Rules

1. Handle every gun as if it were a loaded gun.
2. Never point a gun at anything you do not want to shoot.
3. Never handle a gun unless you know how to operate it.
4. Check every gun you touch immediately to determine if it is loaded. [Don’t trust anybody].
5. Know your gun and ammunition.
6. Know your target, background and ricochets.
7. Keep action and barrel clean and clear.
8. Keep every gun unloaded at all times except while target shooting or hunting.
9. Always keep in mind safe ways to carry and handle a gun to protect yourself and your friends in case of unexpected stumbles, falls and bumps.
10. Obey all range commands instantly
11. Be willing to teach gun safety, but avoid people with poor gun safety. [A friend with poor gun safety is hardly a friend.]
12. Alcohol and gunpowder do not mix.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
she should of reloaded and emptied another clip point blank in his head
Alright iron man...lol
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

my brothers and I all grew up with loaded guns around the house. Ever since I could remember,my Dad had loaded guns in drawers,on the nightstands,behind the doors etc. He always told us not to ever touch them.(later once we were old enough,he trained us how to handle them). I can honestly say, I never did till I was told I could. We knew what would happen if we disobeyed. The belt was coming,EVERY TIME. My dad always said, if you "consistantly" take care of the misdomeaners while raising a child,then there would be very few felonies down the road.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,468

In my opinion a riot style shot gun on a shelf above your bedroom door is about as good as it gets with young kids in the house. I keep a pistol in a hangdun safe next to the bed as well but the shotgun is the first choice.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396

My dad always had guns in our house. They were always unloaded and kept ammo out of reach. He was very strict about them. He told us if it even looks like one was touched we would catch a beating. But all you had to do was ask and he was more than happy to take it out and show us how it works and gun safety. Me and wife have been eyeing the savage 320 for the house.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Flounder

Cash: 627

Two words for the lady. hollow points