SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460
Default Kimber 1911 vs Remington 1911

I know the kimbers are top of the line but I've also heard good things about the Remington 1911s and they are a little cheaper. Any thought from someone who may know more about the remingtons?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

I know this isnt what you asked, but also consider the springfield 1911. I love mine.
If money isnt tight obviously the kimber is the way to go. In reality, the 1911 design has been around forever and its a fairly simple gun. I would think everyone has got it figured out by now. I'm sure any of the main name brands have a good 1911.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Get a prop first!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Get a prop first!!!
I got one
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

You will always be able to get your return on investment with a kimber
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

I bought a kimber 1911 stainless target II new around a year and a half ago. My recommendation would be to stay away from this particular finish. I have sent the gun back twice to have it refinished due to pitting and surface rust. Both times it took around three months to have the gun shipped back to me. This would not be that big of a deal, but this is the only pistol I own. When you spend 2g you would at least expect the gun to not leave rust stains on your clothing when carrying...
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,128

One thing to consider with a Kimber, you can NEVER leave it in your vehicle or some
low life bottom feeding scum parasitic snake that feeds on productive humans will punch your lock and leave with your hard earned prized weapon !!! Js Sayin, sorry , I kinda know a guy this happened too

But they are SWEET weapons.. I could drive tacks with mine
I have a Springfield now but never shot it so , really cant tell you much about it
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper3726 View Post
One thing to consider with a Kimber, you can NEVER leave it in your vehicle or some
low life bottom feeding scum parasitic snake that feeds on productive humans will punch your lock and leave with your hard earned prized weapon !!! Js Sayin, sorry , I kinda know a guy this happened too

But they are SWEET weapons.. I could drive tacks with mine
I have a Springfield now but never shot it so , really cant tell you much about it
Speaking of, they have some
low life bottom feeding scum parasitic snakes that feed on productive humans slithering around Westlake is what the po-po be saying. So lock your doors, hide your kids, and hide your wife they rapin errrrbody!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Swordfish

Really? I ain't heard dat. Good to know.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I haven't looked at the remington 1911 r1 close enough to really evaluate it, but I do know that some 1911 are casted and some are milled from a solid peice of aluminum or steel, the kimber is milled rather then casted the kimber also has a match trigger and barrel which for the price might be the better deal. I've considered buying a kimber but wouldn't mind a springfield either, I don't know if the remington will hold its value.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

I live in laff td if u want to run a few rounds through mine before u buy one just let me know.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
I live in laff td if u want to run a few rounds through mine before u buy one just let me know.
U have the Remington or the Kimber?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,530

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
I haven't looked at the remington 1911 r1 close enough to really evaluate it, but I do know that some 1911 are casted and some are milled from a solid peice of aluminum or steel, the kimber is milled rather then casted the kimber also has a match trigger and barrel which for the price might be the better deal. I've considered buying a kimber but wouldn't mind a springfield either, I don't know if the remington will hold its value.
Who are majors when it comes to 1911s?
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
U have the Remington or the Kimber?
In a earlier post he said he had a Kimber.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Swordfish

My bad. I've shot the kimbers already and love. I was just wondering how the lower priced rems faired?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
Who are majors when it comes to 1911s?
Les Baer and Nighthawk would probably be the top guns of 1911s.

Kimber is great, I have a Custom II Target and I love it. I spent the extra money and got adjustable sights.

Springfield and Colt are probably pretty close to a Kimber.

Kimbers have target or match grade hammers, triggers and barrels. You can get those on a Springfield and that puts them right up with the Kimbers pricewise. Remington has a model with target/match grade stuff which raises the price as well. Within a certain price range, most of them have the same features. A 500 dollar Springfield will have basic features on par with say a Rock Island Arms. A 900 dollar Remington will have the basically same features as a 900 dollar Kimber, Colt or Springfield.

One reason Kimbers cost so much is because their low end models come with high dollar features They don't make a 500 dollar model like the other guys (neither does Colt for that matter). If you buy the low end Remington it will not have the features the low end Kimber will have.

Kimber has a firing pin safety as well, I think they are the only ones with that feature, though I could be wrong.

And yes the lower priced guys are gonna be cast while the more pricey ones are milled or machined and will, or should, have tighter tolerances. My Kimber is really tight, takes some umph to pull the slide back.

I have the Kimber, my dad has a Colt and my brother has an American Classic. They all shoot pretty much the same to me. I can tell the difference in how it feels in my hand though. The cheap American Classic only hangs up with a cheap 15 round magazine and the Colt hangs up the most. My Kimber hasn't hung up yet.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

STI, Wilson, Ed brown, when you ask who are majors, do you mean producers or quality?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

I read something recently on some website that left me with the impression that kimber quality had gone down in the last few years. Something about the company goin through organizational changes. I don't remember the details, just the gist of the story was that a 10 year old kimber was a better gun than one bought today.
It could have been just one disgruntled guy writing that but I'd check it out more if I were looking to buy one today.