SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864
Default Versa Max vs. Benelli SBE 2

Looking to buy my son a college graduation present. He's a lefty so my choices aRe pretty limited. What's a better gun- Remington Versa Max or the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2?

Price is within 3-400 $ so not a factor.

Go...
Old 01-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964

What about the beretta a400? I personally sold my sbe2 for one and never looked back.
I would go versa max over sbe2 just because that gun pissed me off so much.

Love a400 though
Old 01-11-2015, 11:25 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
What about the beretta a400? I personally sold my sbe2 for one and never looked back.
I would go versa max over sbe2 just because that gun pissed me off so much.

Love a400 though
Didn't know beretta made a left hand gun? Is it left side eject or just a reversible safety?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543
Default Versa Max vs. Benelli SBE 2

I've never had a problem with my sbe2 and I only clean it a couple times a year. I've been shooting it since 08. I normally hunt everyday of teal season and 40 or so days of big duck. This year I've taken a break though cause it's been so bad.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:53 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

300-400 I think those guns cost more than that.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:09 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,824

I shoot a SBE2 and my son shoots the Versamax.

I constant struggle with a "stove pipe" shell every 20 shots or so. It's always when I need that extra shot.

My son has zero issues so far with the Remington. The Remington is a little heavier gun but does not kick as hard as my SBE2.

But the Remington ejects the spent hulls twice as far as my Benelli for what it's worth.

Sometimes while we are both shooting at ducks I will see his ejects flying across my field of view.

I like both guns and I'm not praising Remington or bad mouthing Benelli, just telling you what I have encountered.

They have both been good guns.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,176

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
I've never had a problem with my sbe2 and I only clean it a couple times a year. I've been shooting it since 08. I normally hunt everyday of teal season and 40 or so days of big duck. This year I've taken a break though cause it's been so bad.
X2
Old 01-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964

Ahh ya i think its just safety reversal.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,087

I bought a SBE2 last season and had nothing but trouble with it. I'm also left handed and despite everyone warning me not to get a benelli I bought one anyway. After last season I put the SBE in the case and bought a beretta a400 for this season and have not had the first issue with it. I did hear through the grapevine that beretta will be introducing left handed semi autos in 2015. If he does want a left handed gun I'd wait and get one of those!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:44 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta37 View Post
300-400 I think those guns cost more than that.
3-400 difference in price. Not actual cost. Both are in the upper $1000 range closing in on 2k$
Old 01-12-2015, 11:46 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatte8 View Post
I bought a SBE2 last season and had nothing but trouble with it. I'm also left handed and despite everyone warning me not to get a benelli I bought one anyway. After last season I put the SBE in the case and bought a beretta a400 for this season and have not had the first issue with it. I did hear through the grapevine that beretta will be introducing left handed semi autos in 2015. If he does want a left handed gun I'd wait and get one of those!
I hope so. I've been shooting a Beretta A309 for about 15 years now and love my gun! He won't graduate til may 2016 so I have some time. Just looking around now and if I come across a good deal will jump on it and keep it til he graduates.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,087

I know people that have been shooting SBE2s since they came out and never had a problem. But I also know people that had issues with them from day one. I think Benelli just puts out a lemon every few guns maybe, but I haven't heard anyone complain about the new berettas. If they do end up making a left handed a400 this summer Im going to have to get one.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Hey Scuba...... your help is needed,
The Guides' Spot - Hunting: Hill Country Deer Hunt - SaltyCajun.com
Old 01-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

I have had for several year now, a Beretta A390. I bought a Versa Max Sportsman this year to have the ability to shoot 3.5" if necessary. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. Hard to beat for the money. Remington was also offering a $100 rebate at the time.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I've been shooting Benelli's since I was in high school(15 + years). I have M1, SBE, SBE2, and Super Vinci. To be honest, I am about fed up with Benelli. I bought the Super Vinci 2 years ago. It's a POS. It jams all the time, sometimes it stays stuck on "fire" for extended periods of time then just decides to start going back to safety again. That's safe!! Bad feeling to have when you draw a $2000 shotgun and you're praying that it will just shoot!! I will say I didn't have near as many problems with my previous Benelli's but they all will jam a good bit if you don't keep them clean. If I was buying a new shotgun today, it would be the Beretta A400 without a doubt.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

i have been shooting the a400 going on 3 years now. my gun is a hunting gun, by know means do i baby it, but then again i dont let it sit in the bottom of pirogue all year, nor do i use it as anchor or push pole, guess im not hardcore enough.

bottom line, the gun gets used quite a bit, yet taken care of.

i have not had a problem with it...

Shoots everytime i pull out........... i mean pull up!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post

Thanks man! I made a visit over there and took care of business.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

SBE for me. Bought it used for $700. Polished up the action...replaced recoil spring with an extra power sprung to reduce recoil with 3.5" shell...it was so dirty last week it took dental picks to scrape the junk out. But it still fires EVERYTIME I pull the trigger.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Flounder

Cash: 878

Well I am a left handed shooter and I shoot a A400 Extrema and love it. I recasted the stock and he will need to do that for it to shoot correctly and I reversed the safety. I have not had any problem with powder or shells in my face. The gun works flawlessly. I have shot right hand shot guns all my life and figured it wouldn't be a problem to continue now. There really is not allot of choices when it come to left hand guns.
Good Luck,
Mark
Old 01-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I've been shooting Benelli's since I was in high school(15 + years). I have M1, SBE, SBE2, and Super Vinci. To be honest, I am about fed up with Benelli. I bought the Super Vinci 2 years ago. It's a POS. It jams all the time, sometimes it stays stuck on "fire" for extended periods of time then just decides to start going back to safety again. That's safe!! Bad feeling to have when you draw a $2000 shotgun and you're praying that it will just shoot!! I will say I didn't have near as many problems with my previous Benelli's but they all will jam a good bit if you don't keep them clean. If I was buying a new shotgun today, it would be the Beretta A400 without a doubt.
I have the vinci. This is my 4th year on it? Maybe 3rd. Have never had a problem wit it until this year. Would shoot first shell fine and click on second shot. This was mainly with cheap federal shells. I've wiped the gun down over the last few seasons but never completely disassembled. This year my safety also started getting hard to function like you said. So I broke the gun down a few weeks ago all the way. I was amazed at the gunk that had built up underneath and in the trigger assembly. I had to scrape it off and then flushed out with degreaser. Put a light coat of oil on it and reassembled. Have not had one malfunction since then. It was so bad that my shell lifter on the bottom was getting stuck. Works like the day I bought it now. I too was starting to get frustrated.