SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default Leaving the powder in a Blackpowder gun

OK now the guy made his last hunt and he had the gun loaded for 3 days and no rain. He takes primer out before leaving the blind and installs a primer on the next trip to blind. He came home from Toledo and went to shoot the loaded gun and just the primer went off. He says I have been carrying a dud rifle for a few days? He puts 2 new white hots in and boom. Do you leave your BP gun loaded or shoot it after everyday? Or just dump the powder and knock the bullet out the back end. Some say put tape over barrel. Moisture must be quick to kill the black powder. What are ya'lls thoughts on this?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

With Triple Seven powder, I often left the powder in until I happened to fire it next. It always worked when ignited with a 209 shotshell primer.

Black powder and Pyrodex are much more iffy, and much more corrosive also.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

I just remove the breech plug and push the bullet through.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbert Chamblee View Post
OK now the guy made his last hunt and he had the gun loaded for 3 days and no rain. He takes primer out before leaving the blind and installs a primer on the next trip to blind. He came home from Toledo and went to shoot the loaded gun and just the primer went off. He says I have been carrying a dud rifle for a few days? He puts 2 new white hots in and boom. Do you leave your BP gun loaded or shoot it after everyday? Or just dump the powder and knock the bullet out the back end. Some say put tape over barrel. Moisture must be quick to kill the black powder. What are ya'lls thoughts on this?
What was he using for primers....When I was useing #11 caps I always shot a few caps before I went in woods. This was after I shot at a doe and the cap didn't really go off because of moisture on the nipple. 2 caps after didn't ignite the powder because the first one clogged the nipple. #209 shotgun primers shouldn't fail. Use pellets and it should still shoot the following year. I never had them fail with the 209 primers.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default leaving the powder in a black powder gun

He was using the Remington 209 for made black powder. I told him after every shot to check the breach plug hole. I have read that guys up north use them for 3 weeks and said to store gun in camp muzzle down.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

If black horn 209 powder ur good to leave loaded as long as u want. Anything else is suspect after a few days
Old 01-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

I have left mine loaded for a couple of seasons and it still fired just fine. I use #11 caps and pellets. The pellets should not hurt your barrel if left loaded. I don't think you can say the same for loose powder. If weather conditions are damp I would definitely not keep it loaded. Then you are asking for a miss fire.