SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-2017, 09:15 PM
duckman1911's Avatar
duckman1911 duckman1911 is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Otis
Posts: 4,061
Cash: 4,757
Default Primitive Gun Season

Why do they still call it that? Call it "scoped single shot rifle season" because that's what it is now. Maybe the WLFD gets a kick back on sales of New England Arms 45/70s?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2017, 09:19 PM
meat killer 86's Avatar
meat killer 86 meat killer 86 is online now
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SW LA
Posts: 388
Cash: 612
Default

I agree.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Feesherman Feesherman is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 2,485
Cash: 321
Default

.35 Whelen is legal. Who in the world would buy a 45/70 Or 444? Ludicrous

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:28 AM
MattMigues's Avatar
MattMigues MattMigues is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Iberia
Posts: 561
Cash: 1,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
.35 Whelen is legal. Who in the world would buy a 45/70 Or 444? Ludicrous

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Originally it was any gun or replica that was designed before 191X can't remember the exact date. At first Thompson break action wasn't included and a few others, then 3 years ago it was any single shot rifle .35 caliber or larger and single shot shotguns loaded with slugs or buckshot. I purchased mine when there were only 45/70's to purchase now you can shoot the Whelen (which is way high powered) or .35 Rem that's an awesome round and easy on the shoulder.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Joshua0606's Avatar
Joshua0606 Joshua0606 is offline
Sand Trout
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central, LA
Posts: 39
Cash: 335
Default

The gun also has to have an exposed hammer, so guns like the Ruger No. 1 and No. 3 can't be used.

I too bought the 45/70 when it first became legal. I've shot and love the 35 Whelen but I haven't talked myself into buying one yet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 AM
duckman1911's Avatar
duckman1911 duckman1911 is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Otis
Posts: 4,061
Cash: 4,757
Default

I know several people that bought the 45/70. Some later came to regret that purchase lol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 AM
cgoods17's Avatar
cgoods17 cgoods17 is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: lake charles
Posts: 592
Cash: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
I know several people that bought the 45/70. Some later came to regret that purchase lol
sighting that puppy in, is what really hurts...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-2017, 08:44 AM
fishfish fishfish is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 42
Cash: 12
Default

Meh. Some of us still use the old smoke pole. I have nothing against them if it helps sell more hunting licenses and that money gets put back into helping manage the game. I agree they're not primitive weapons by any means. But hell, look at the bows we shoot nowadays compared to what we were shooting 30 years ago. With the reduction in hunters nationwide, I'm for whatever it takes to put more people into the woods. Happy hunting
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-10-2017, 12:24 PM
duckman1911's Avatar
duckman1911 duckman1911 is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Otis
Posts: 4,061
Cash: 4,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfish View Post
Meh. Some of us still use the old smoke pole. I have nothing against them if it helps sell more hunting licenses and that money gets put back into helping manage the game. I agree they're not primitive weapons by any means. But hell, look at the bows we shoot nowadays compared to what we were shooting 30 years ago. With the reduction in hunters nationwide, I'm for whatever it takes to put more people into the woods. Happy hunting
I agree with that and I have nothing against taking every advantage our government is willing to sell to you. It just makes me shake my head when I see someone I know showing or talking about the gun they bought for muzzleloader season. Uhh you do realize that is a breech loading rifle with a self contained brass cartridge right? That's what I always want to say to them. Have no issue with it just call it what it is. It's not primitive. The Hawkins rifle is primitive.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Feesherman Feesherman is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 2,485
Cash: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
The Hawkins rifle is primitive.


No it is not. The club, the spear, and the rock is primitive.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:00 PM
duckman1911's Avatar
duckman1911 duckman1911 is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Otis
Posts: 4,061
Cash: 4,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
No it is not. The club, the spear, and the rock is primitive.
Valid point. I was thinking more along the lines of firearms although I must say a club or spear would be fun. Skull bash them until their brains are mush. Lets just try not to go so traditional as warring tribes defeating and eating their enemy. That may be a little too far back
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Feesherman Feesherman is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 2,485
Cash: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Valid point. I was thinking more along the lines of firearms although I must say a club or spear would be fun. Skull bash them until their brains are mush. Lets just try not to go so traditional as warring tribes defeating and eating their enemy. That may be a little too far back
Ok how about Atlatels?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-2017, 11:11 PM
duckman1911's Avatar
duckman1911 duckman1911 is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Otis
Posts: 4,061
Cash: 4,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Ok how about Atlatels?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Hell why not? All jokes aside one of those hog hunts where you go in and kill a hog with a knife would be fun. Yes I know it has dogs all over it but dang it would be awesome to end up covered in blood with a knife in your hand that is dripping blood. Stab him until you win and end his life. Bbq,buddies and beer after. Fun times.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map