SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 680
Cry Calcasieu Pass Fishing

I recently joined and I have read the thread on Cameron area but was wondering about the fishing out of Cal Pass. I went about a month ago to the first set of rigs to the east then went to the west of the ship channel about 10 miles out. I caught a few pompano, trout, black drum and sheep head. I went back last weekend and found rough seas, sail cats everywhere I dropped a line. Having fished the area when I was much younger (30 yrs ago) I am not sure of how far out or where to go for snapper, grouper, or other fish than what I had caught. I know I'll have to go out to 60 + feet and that is about 50 miles out but is it a matter of finding structure such as rigs and trying it or are there some unseen structure I can find on the charts that may produce better.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

the Calcasieu Rocks are located at or about 29º 06.803’ N. lat. and 92º 58.901’ W. long. and are in West Cameron leased block 236 and East Cameron leased blocks 118 and 119. They extend about 4 miles east to west. The sea floor north of the “rocks” varies from 60 to 72 feet deep. At the “rocks” the seabed rises to 48 to 56 feet. And just south of the area, the seabed drops to 78 feet with a continued slope to over 100 feet.

It is about 41 miles from the end of the jetties at Mermentau Pass at a heading of 173º (magnetic). The above coordinates are for the center of the ridge. There are two oil rigs about 5 miles apart near the area. If you were to draw a line from one to the other it basically would be a northeast to southwest line. The “rocks” are between these rigs. The northern platform in about 60 feet of water, is at or about 29º 08.302’ N lat & 92º 59.318’ W. long. The southern of the two is at or about 29º 05.515’ N lat. & 93º 03.139’ W. long. and it is in about 75 feet of water.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,530

picket fence?? Maybe somone can give more info on that spot...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 10-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

shortest run is out of freshwater bayou/pecan island, maybe 90 miles?

Picket's Charge
West of Candy Mountain, the "Picket Fence" — a series of seven seamounts — stretches over 12 miles along the 100-fathom curve (about 600 feet of water) roughly 120 miles south-southeast of Calcasieu Pass. Captains usually access this region from Lake Charles, Cypremort Point, Cameron, Intracoastal City or Pecan Island.

"One seamount rises to about 260 feet, one to about 190, and one to about 210 feet," Gill says. "They're all generally in line. Once we put the baits in the water, we can troll down the edge and stay in a productive area for a couple hours at 7 knots. We've also anchored on the 32-fathom rocks and bottomfished."

The Picket Fence has produced blue marlin in the 600-pound range for Gill; he hooked an estimated 900-pounder there too. Fishing the bottom, he landed a 113.19-pound cubera snapper in July 1988. That fish holds third place in the Louisiana record book. In June this year, Marion Rose broke the state and world record with a 124.80-pound cubera snapper he caught near the Picket Fence. Mike Hebert held the previous state and world record with a 121.5-pound cubera he caught in the same area in 1982.

Angler Prentiss Perkins landed a 23.3-pound marbled grouper at the Picket Fence in 2005 to establish a state record. On the same day, David Chad Cormier landed the number-two fish in the state, a 17.62-pounder.

"The Pickets always hold bait, especially hardtails [blue runners] and bonitos," Gill says. "We catch marlin in the area, but there's also an abundance of wahoo and blackfin. It's a little shallow for yellowfin, but we catch some at the southern end, around the 66-fathom rock."

For marlin and wahoo, Gill also recommends the 18-fathom rock, which sits in 600 feet of water just west of the Picket Fence. Slightly south of the 18-fathom rock, the Peanut and the Butterfly formations resemble their namesakes and offer excellent structure for snapper and other bottom dwellers.

Anglers returning from the Picket Fence to Lake Charles might make a few drops at Calcasieu Rock, which sits in about 40 to 60 feet of water about 40 miles south of Calcasieu Pass.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/trave...88-page-3.html
Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
picket fence?? Maybe somone can give more info on that spot...
its a long ways out...... "we're gonna need a bigger boat!"

Unfortunately....the offshore fishing out of Cal. Pass isn't great. You just have to go too far out to get clean deep water. If we go out of here, we over night it and go about 100 + miles.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Tripletail

Thanks for the info LAANGLER. I think the next try out there if the weather permits I'll try the Calcasieu Rocks. It sounds like a good place for my boat. I may have a window in November to go but I'll have to see what the weather is going to do. With the fall season approaching I'll probley wait till summer, but it will give me something to look forward to.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

I fished snapper at the WC-170 thru WC-181 fields for years. About 10 years ago, it started petering out. I was having to go to WC-269 and WC-368 area to find Snapper and Amberjack. We have even caught some nice sized Wahoo at those places.
WC-280 was pretty good too, but it was pretty far out for my boat.
If you leave out of Grand Chenier, you get to deeper water quicker.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Tripletail

Thanks for the info Ray, my boat isn't that big either, it's a 22' aquasport with an 8 foot beam, but I don't want to get too far out. I've been in 5-6 foot chop and still felt safe but it was crappy for fishing. Hell it was crappy till we got back to shore also.