SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Flounder

Cash: 626
Default Weeds in the duck hole

My hunting group cleaned out around our blind down to the mud by hand. There was a floating mat of sedges,woody weeds, and hyacinth. Everyone assumed it would grow back mostly duckweed before the sedge and hyacinth took over in a couple years. We were wrong... not a speck of duckweed, a few handfuls of hyacinth, sedges around the edges and Copious amounts of Giant Salvinia. Salvinia coverage of the hole doubled in a week. We planned on spraying for hyacinth because the surrounding area is pretty choked with it and would like to open up an alternate boat run. After researching chemicals I think the amine salt of 2,4D was our best/cheapest candidate for the hyacinth. I did the same for salvinia and came up with glyphosate as the best/cheapest way to go. Anyone ever done this? What formulation of glyphosate for salvinia? Any one know where I can find some of those weevils LSU spent $10 million or whatever on? Won't glyphosate kill nearly all aquatic life (crawfish)? Any ideas/ thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Glyphosate for your parallel viened plants and
2,4-d for broadleafs

sammich
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Redfish

Cash: 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccrossee View Post
My hunting group cleaned out around our blind down to the mud by hand. There was a floating mat of sedges,woody weeds, and hyacinth. Everyone assumed it would grow back mostly duckweed before the sedge and hyacinth took over in a couple years. We were wrong... not a speck of duckweed, a few handfuls of hyacinth, sedges around the edges and Copious amounts of Giant Salvinia. Salvinia coverage of the hole doubled in a week. We planned on spraying for hyacinth because the surrounding area is pretty choked with it and would like to open up an alternate boat run. After researching chemicals I think the amine salt of 2,4D was our best/cheapest candidate for the hyacinth. I did the same for salvinia and came up with glyphosate as the best/cheapest way to go. Anyone ever done this? What formulation of glyphosate for salvinia? Any one know where I can find some of those weevils LSU spent $10 million or whatever on? Won't glyphosate kill nearly all aquatic life (crawfish)? Any ideas/ thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
There are aquatic safe versions. The Glyphosate is safe, it's the surfactant that can be dangerous to aquatic life. Tractor supply sells it at the best price I've seen...
Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Redfish

Cash: 599

Never had much luck with glyphosate killing salvania though. We had to buy a chemical that was like 300 dollors a gallon!! We now just take 3 mud boats every year and pump it out of the ponds.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swlatiger View Post
There are aquatic safe versions. The Glyphosate is safe, it's the surfactant that can be dangerous to aquatic life. Tractor supply sells it at the best price I've seen...
I pay $18 a gallon at Premier Farm Supply in Kaplan for honcho plus dont know what tractor supply charges though. I would get in contact with a place that specializes in herbicides like Premier and ask them what you should use. Also you can talk to the guys at the LSU extension office
Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 776

$18 a gallon is probably pretty close to the price the non-aquatic version I use around the house. I think it's $39 for 2.5 gallons.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

If its covered in salvinia it will likely have to be sprayed more than once. That stuff is the DEVIL, you can spray it once and let it die back and hit it again. The problem is when it dies it takes up oxygen and will kill the fish (seems crawfish would be alright, but don't know). If you are not worried bout the fish, you may be able to knock it all out of there. It spreads so easily by boats and trailers and seems to double in coverage in a week. The weevils are not going to eat all of their food source, but may knock it back. Drawing the water down is the best if you have that option. Good luck
Old 07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Flounder

Thank you all for the input. I'm not worried about the fish. Only fish in there are trophy choupique and green sunfish. Water can neither be drained nor pumped in. Reward is the cheapest aquatic glyphosate I found at $170/gal. I think that is still to pricey for my crew for
Quote:
Never had much luck with glyphosate killing salvania though.
. We don't need it to be totally clean just look like open water by November 17. I'd rather swipe some weevils out of a lake. Toledo bend and Lake Bastino are a haul for here. Anyone know of a closer place with these weevils?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Redfish

Cash: 888

Reward isn't a Glysophate. It is Diquat. It is a floiar kill, but doesn't really translocate throught the plant and kill roots. Do Not waste money on Reward
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Flounder

I checked a state website that said Reward was the way to go. They also say Rodeo will work. I starting to think the state doesn't know crap about it. Look at the Maurapas WMA for example. Other websites have suggested glyphosate. I'm still confused as hell.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 599

Reward is the chemical that we used, it killed it decently but as we have a canal that connects to the river we cannot completely control more coming into the marsh so we was spending way to much money using it! Hope u find a solution man that stuff is a real pain!!