SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default A week of meat harvest! - (Long read)

After the week that just past, I don't know where to begin. It's been a long time since I have had the fun like what we just went through! It was a blast!

First, I had one of my close friends that still works for EBREMS over last Monday afternoon for a afternoon hog hunt with his daughter who is 13. She hunts with her dad in St. Francisville and has killed a couple of deer, but never killed a wild hog before. Take them around sight seeing the rice fields and pick up some boudin in Mowata, then off to the woods. Almost as soon as I get them in the stand, they have 8 hogs come out on them. Unfortunately, I was in the process of running out some kids on 4 wheelers and scared those off. I was really disappointed in the fact that this may have blown her chance, but it was early and hoped they woould come out again. After 45 minutes, those hogs never showed up, but another group did. After watching a large group of hogs feeding, Mike text me that he had about 35 in the field and they were not getting any closer. I told him to pick one and tell her to get rock solid for the shot. I knew if she could hit a deer, she could hit these hogs since they were all so large this year. Sure enough, the rifle barks, and I hear a stampeed of hogs through the woods and one of them was squealling like no tommorrow.

I go to them and we go to where the hog was hit, and find a ton of blood. I follow the blood to the woods and I am about ready to tell them that we need to go ge the dog in the truck when I hear that sound that sends me up a tree everytime I hear it - those jaws of a hog snapping closed to scare you off - man, I hate that sound! I see the hog has made it into the woods by about 15 yards and is still standing on its front legs, but has been hit high in the back. I dispatch it with my sidearm and we go recover her nice 200# sow. It was great! And she will remember that for a long time!

The next morning, I have them and another group of about a dozen people meet me for coffee at a local c-store. We get a late start, but off we go to the woods again to turn loose some dogs. For one reason or another, my youngest has had a hard time getting his first shot at a deer. He hasn't missed, we just haven't had the perfect chance to line up the moon and the stars. Well, with all the rain, I wanted to park in a rice loading area not to tear up the roads for the farmer. Wouldn't you know it, as we are pulling into the rice fields and parking everyone, I see a big doe out about 250 yards from us, just standing there. I get Connor set up and tell him to place his crosshairs of his Ruger .243 Compact at the top of the deers back. BOOM! - Perfect shot, and she went down like a ton of bricks.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Awesome kills! I'm still looking to kill my first hog, we had some on our lease but some guys that live around there trapped them and took care of that problem. We haven't seen a hog in 2 or 3 years.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

I would love to kill a hog, never killed a hog or a deer.

great report, sounds like you had a full week
Old 11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

sounds like a great couple of days. Ya'll seeing any deer or hogs up in vernon parish?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:12 PM
King Mackeral

Back to my story.....sorry, had to actually get some work done for a while since I am not like "W"!

Anyway, Connor lays the hammer on this doe and we are high-fiving and hugging, boy-was I proud of him on that shot! Then I hear there is another deer! Yep, you guessed it, a little buck was bedded down right by her and he got up and walked to her. He licked her and pushed her, and wouldn't leave. Well, little Bryant Thevis who is also 10, has never killed a deer before. We get him and his dad up to the front of the pack and get him set up. After a little coaching to control the bad case of "buck fever", he finally gets that barrel to stop moving on the rifle and lets it fly. It was a hit, just wasn't sure how good of a hit it was. The deer bucked, but never fell down, then we watched him run through the rice fields towards the woods for over a mile. Where he crossed a field road, I went inspect and found no blood, only tracks. I told his dad we needed to wait and pick up the track later that day to let him lay up.

Well, we went on to our hog hunt after a few photos and it was incredible. Good dog work, good amount of hogs, and a bunch of kids always equals a good time. It was so wild, we had multiple bays going at the same time, and not enough catch dogs! To make a long story short, we got on some big sows quick to wear those young ones out. Then after lunch, all hell broke loose! The dogs got on one about 3:00, and they could not stop it. Several times we went to the bay, only to have the hog break before we could get into the fight with the catch dogs.

At about 4:00, I break off of the hog trails to take the boy and his family to go look for his deer. His mom actually went to my house and get my little tracking dog for me. We get JD on the ground where I last saw the deer in the rice field 5 hours earlier. Almost immediately he picked up the track, although I was doubting him from the get go. I just didn't think that deer would have turned where he did, but as they say - "trust the nose". I let him go another 100 yards, and about the time I figure he is trailing something else, he shows me blood! I yell at Paul to work his way to me since I had them looking for blood and JD continues on the track. Another 100 yards, and he finds a huge wound bed, and I now have confidence in finding this deer. 50 yards later the dog jumps and I see the deer laying in a pile of weeds next to the levee. I yell at Bryant - "Come get your deer" and I got to watch him run through a rice field like Trindon Holiday! It was awesome, and his mom was even there to witness it! Way cool!

I get all this crap picked up from our cookout and get everyone back to the trucks. Everyone, except my dog handlers, my brother-n-law and our two sons. They are still fighting this big hog the dogs are having trouble with. Now, they are out of radio range, can not get them on cell phone, and they are no longer on my proerty. When I finally get them, they are 3 miles from me, lost, and it is now dark. The hog is cornered in a canal, is tearing the dogs up and has 3-4" cutters. I tell them to shoot the SOB, and I am on the way. I find them an hour later, have to get permission from another landowner to get access and then have to fight getting a 353lb Barr hog out of a canal. It was a very, very long night, but worth every minute! Only minor injuries to two dogs and some good eating for a long time!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
King Mackeral

Here's some pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoghunt09 002.jpg (96.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Hoghunt09 018.jpg (98.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Hoghunt09 021.jpg (98.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Hoghunt09 038.jpg (66.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
King Mackeral

Almost forgot:

BIG - BIG Thank You! to Charlie, aka-Ducktrickster, who came out and helped with the skinning at my house while I was out trying to end the hog chase! I owe you man!

Last edited by Finfeatherfur; 11-30-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,548

Wow super post fin!! Thats awesome what you shared with the young'ens they will never forget it!!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Nice story. I bet after all that you was ready for a stiff drink
Old 11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n D View Post
Nice story. I bet after all that you was ready for a stiff drink
I killed only one "high ball" before I passed out! I wanted to get down to Dularge and soak up some fun at the camp and relax with a few drinks. I wasn't there 30 minutes when one of my dad's friends pulls up from Texas with a whitetail buck and a mulie buck field dressed from his west Tx ranch. I was right back to skinning!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
I killed only one "high ball" before I passed out! I wanted to get down to Dularge and soak up some fun at the camp and relax with a few drinks. I wasn't there 30 minutes when one of my dad's friends pulls up from Texas with a whitetail buck and a mulie buck field dressed from his west Tx ranch. I was right back to skinning!
Damn cant a brother get a break
Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

You had one hell of a day Fin. It looks like your efforts made several young ones very happy. That must of been a sight watching that boar fight those dogs. What breed of dog is your tracker..it looks like a doberman.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:40 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

Great story and pics. Congrats to the young uns.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndamendment View Post
You had one hell of a day Fin. It looks like your efforts made several young ones very happy. That must of been a sight watching that boar fight those dogs. What breed of dog is your tracker..it looks like a doberman.
Kudos to your screen name sir! NRA for life!

It is called a Jagdterrier which is a breed originated in Germany, and it is pronounced "YAK" terrier. Go to youtube and type in Jagdterrier Hunts and see what they can do. It is a fairly new breed to the US, I ran across them in Texas a few years ago. Simply Incredible little dogs!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 PM
King Mackeral

Default Bart is the man!

This is Bart, the dad of my pup. He is a awesome dog and is responsible for stopping the big Barr hog w/ a Plott hound that gave us fits!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoghunt09 013.jpg (97.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

great story thanks for sharing
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

That pup stops them big hogs?? wow

Pretty Pup
Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM
King Mackeral

They stop a whole lot more than just hogs. You should see them on a bear or mountain lion!

I am possibly traveling this weekend to the northern border of Florida where we will be on a hog hunt and try to relocate a black bear!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Looks like we missed out on a good time! WORK SUCKS!!!!!!
Congrats to the young'ens!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Looks like we missed out on a good time! WORK SUCKS!!!!!!
Congrats to the young'ens!

Mr. Ramsey, it only gets better from here! We have plenty left so get that boy through the playoffs, then give me a call!