SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Flounder

Cash: 626
Question Advice?

I've been cutting brush for three days. I've been making a hole along a coulee in mature woods. The canopy trees are 80-100 feet tall. I'm sure woodies will drop into it given the amount of traffic at first light. I would like to know how big of a hole I need to get greys,mallards and greenwings to drop into. Other, more established blinds within in a mile of me get them so I know it's possible. So far my hole has a dozen mature oaks (8 white, 5 red ) bordering the edges. My problem is the hole has a 15-20 yards wide by 75 yard long opening. I was hoping to get big ducks to land. Does anyone know if this is enough room? It's pretty much a straight drop from 100 feet down to water level in this narrow width. I would like to keep all the acorn bearing oaks alive. I could make it bigger but I don't think I can make it bigger (break in the canopy wise) without taking out productive oaks. I'm it it for the long haul so if trees stop producing they will go but they are between 18 to 30 inches in diameter. In case anyone was wondering why I waited until so close to the season: it may be another 10 years before it is this dry back there again. The coulee usually has minimum of 2 feet of water until august every year. It is dry right now and the mud is FIRM. This doesn't happen too often. The ground under the trees is covered in white flower duck potato, purple flower pickerel weed and sedges. I've been hunting ducks for 12 years. I've seen big ducks in dense woods in late january/february, but I was wondering if I could pull migrating birds in such a hole. My problem is the coulee I'm cutting around only floods to 40 yards wide max. I've cut out the hackberry, maple and elm between the natural levee. I've got oaks bordering the hole and hog pecans and cypress past that which probably won't flood more than a few inches.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:25 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Stop cutting brush...throw out a dozen decoys at most and quack alot early season
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
Stop cutting brush...throw out a dozen decoys at most and quack alot early season
Yep... I would only throw 5 or 6 out. All you need is acorns there,a little hole for em to come down and about 3 in of water