SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Flounder

Cash: 566
Default CCA Meeting @ Casa Maniana @ 5:30 today

For everyone who's a CCA member on here and *****es about CCA. I myself am skeptical of the Association and what they do with all the money. So, I'm going to see for myself and ask questions and bring up topics and concerns I've seen raised on this site. I encourage any and everybody who pays money every year for the STAR to show up and voice your concerns as well. Can't ***** about the President if you didn't vote, and you can't ***** about CCA if you don't go the meetings and speak up.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Flounder

Cash: 566

Or post what you'd like brought up, and I'll voice some of those things myself. I just remember a lot of talking going on last year around the time the STAR kicked off.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Lol

We have other programs who have more balls than CCA

CCA has done Zero to stop oyster dredging , Zero to stop erosion , Zero to help in any way on Lake Calcasieu

They did do a Sunshine pumpers 500K reef that was donated for free ?

I will pay Into the CCA when they pay into us !!

Until then screw em !!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Stopped supporting CCA when a guy in a Z71 with a CCA sticker ran over my neighbor's silver lab. Also stopped supporting Costa del Mar and Ducks Unlimited because he had those stickers also. Never woulda bought a Chevy anyways because GM should be called ObamaMotors but that sealed it for me. Had Yeti stickers on that Z71 too, but I ain't trying to pay $500 for an icechest I can buy a whole buncha ice for that and beer too.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

^^^ hahaha
Old 03-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Hey. At least CCA got restrictions put on 3tail with no science needed.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Hey. At least CCA got restrictions put on 3tail with no science needed.
And 15 trout limit with zero science
Old 03-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Lol

We have other programs who have more balls than CCA

CCA has done Zero to stop oyster dredging , Zero to stop erosion , Zero to help in any way on Lake Calcasieu

They did do a Sunshine pumpers 500K reef that was donated for free ?

I will pay Into the CCA when they pay into us !!

Until then screw em !!
WHAT programs are you referring to?
Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyb View Post
WHAT programs are you referring to?
Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion: Calcasieu Salinity Control Fisheries Focus Group - SaltyCajun.com
Old 03-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFishKiller View Post
For everyone who's a CCA member on here and *****es about CCA. I myself am skeptical of the Association and what they do with all the money. So, I'm going to see for myself and ask questions and bring up topics and concerns I've seen raised on this site. I encourage any and everybody who pays money every year for the STAR to show up and voice your concerns as well. Can't ***** about the President if you didn't vote, and you can't ***** about CCA if you don't go the meetings and speak up.
Prepare to be ignored and have the subject changed. What happened to me when i started asking questions they didn't want to answer.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Ask about the itemized bill for the Brad Vincent reef that cost 500k and materials were all donated
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by W";744414][url="http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58774
Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion: Calcasieu Salinity Control Fisheries Focus Group - SaltyCajun.com[/url]
Cool Im in.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

W

Do U Really think that Every oz. of engineering to find a place for that reef, of Rock, and Equipment to get it there, then place it on the exact Coordinates was all DONE FOR FREE???
Old 03-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

I'll bet that reef is silting over already. Should have used that rock to start a levee rebuild at washout. Choke the flow down to the lake.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
W

Do U Really think that Every oz. of engineering to find a place for that reef, of Rock, and Equipment to get it there, then place it on the exact Coordinates was all DONE FOR FREE???
Let me break it down for you as I have very good friends in the rock business and spoke to them

For me to get a 40ft barge , small tug, excavator for 7 days would not coast anywhere near half million dollars

The material was delivered for free and given for free

Only cost CCA had was hiring brother n law to jack up stupid price for free money and it's a win win

You get sunshine pumpers in the news papers

Where the hell is the CCA when we have freaken 100 oyster boats raping west cove year after year with ZERO reseeding ???

CCA will not touch this because of Politics !! Bottom freaken line so don't start defending the CCA unless you have some facts to back it up
Old 03-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
And 15 trout limit with zero science
Says the scientist.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Says the scientist.
LDWF biologists said there was no science
Old 03-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Says the scientist.
Big problems at Big Lake?
Trout anglers could face new restrictions in southwest Louisiana

By AL ROGERS
RodnReel.com
BATON ROUGE, La. - A proposal to lower daily recreational fishing limits on spotted seatrout from 25 to 15 fish in a southwest Louisiana region will be discussed and likely voted on Thursday morning by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries (DWF) Commission.

The seven-member gubernatorial-appointed panel will consider issuing an official Notice of Intent at DWF headquarters at 2000 Quail Drive at 9:30 a.m. The board will hear a presentation by state biologists as well as opinions and concerns from anglers and guides in the Lake Calcasieu or Big Lake area, the region where the regulations are being proposed. The proposal comes in the wake of an unprecedented ruling by the commission last spring that restricted anglers here from harvesting only two speckled trout per person, per day, larger than 25 inches.

Proponents claim the initiative is a conservation effort intended to improve what they see as a declining fishery south of Lake Charles. For generations this area has been regarded as one of the top trophy trout estuaries on the northern Gulf Coast. However, in recent years some guides and anglers say the fishing here is only a glimmer of what it once was. The guides joined forces with Coastal Conservation Association (CCA) - Louisiana and allies on the DWF commission to help bring the measure to a vote.

If the resolution passes by a majority vote it will then be subject to a 120-day public comment period before DWF commissioners make a final decision.

Meanwhile, some of the top marine fisheries scholars on the Gulf Coast claim that there is nothing to indicate that anything is wrong at Big Lake. In addition, some sources with the DWF claim that the initiative is more about public opinion and politics, rather than biology or fisheries science.

"We're not seeing any problems with trout in that area," said Harry Blanchet, finfish program manager with the DWF. "We're not seeing any declines in biomass or the abundance of speckled trout in Lake Calcasieu."

Two of the most outspoken proponents of the new regulations are DWF commissioners Henry Mouton of Lafayette and Fred Miller of Shreveport. Both Mouton and Miller have served as presidents of CCA-Louisiana. Mouton said he believes the vast majority of guides and anglers in southwest Louisiana are behind the measure.

"Last spring I starting getting calls from guides like Capt. Buddy Oakes with Hackberry Rod & Gun Club and Capt. Eric Rue with Calcasieu Charters," Mouton said Tuesday. "Then I started to talk to a lot of the recreationals who told me that the lake has changed dramatically."

Mouton, who describes himself as a staunch CCA supporter, said polls conducted by the conservation association indicated that more than 70 percent of recreational anglers and guides in the Lake Charles area supported reducing the limit from 25 to 15 speckled trout. Louisiana's limit was reduced to 25 per person per day in 1988. The newly formed Gulf Coast Conservation Association (GCCA), which later became part of the CCA, was influential in the change.

In a report posted on RodnReel.com on Jan. 4, Mouton wrote, "it was not CCA that asked that this issue be brought forward, it was hundreds of recreational fishermen that fish Big Lake." The 26-year member of CCA said he began to realize the concern of anglers after holding a series of meetings since last spring. In his report Mouton said: "Most (anglers) wanted to go to 10 to 12 fish - but I think 15 fish is a fair number."

He said only the southwestern region was being targeted for the new regulations - for now.

"I will tell you that I have had calls from many fishermen and guides that fish southeast Louisiana asking me to reduce the limits statewide," Mouton added in his report. "But that is NOT something we are looking at doing at this time."

RodnReel.com publisher Mike Lane questioned the practice of using public opinion to manage Louisiana's inland and coastal fisheries.

"Is this not a dangerous precedent?" Lane asked. "It doesn't make good sense to strip the control from our scientists and to take our directives from public opinion."

And not all veteran guides in the Big Lake area are in support of the resolution.

"We're opposed to it," said Capt. Mary Poe, who co-owns Big Lake Guide Service. "There's no science behind it. And they're saying they're doing this in the name of conservation. We're catching more fish now in the lake that we ever have."

Poe suggested that efforts should be focused on more important issues, such as removing dangerous debris from the lake left by Hurricane Rita.

"Look, I've been one of the biggest proponents of CCA for years but this issue is a little one-sided," Poe said. "There are a handful of people trying to push this through and much of it was done very secretively. And the data is skewed. That poll they're talking about was taken by 1,000 members of CCA."

Louisiana still has some of the most liberal bag limits of speckled trout along the Gulf Coast. If the 15 fish limit becomes law in southwest Louisiana it would still be five more than the 10 that can legally be harvested, per day, per angler, in Texas.

"A lot of this came from the younger guys in CCA," Mouton said. "They said 'we've heard a lot about the great old days when you could catch several ice chests of fish.' Now a lot of the guides are struggling to catch their limits."

Few would argue that Big Lake is overfished with many anglers arriving from neighboring Texas, and states throughout the southeastern United States. Oakes, a veteran guide on Big Lake, estimates that more than 80 percent of his fishing business comes from the east - mostly Texas clients.

However Poe said that most of her clients are from Louisiana. And if new limits are imposed she claims she would lose customers who will go to other parts of the state where the 25-trout bag limit would remain unchanged.

"We'd be all for it if it were statewide," Poe said. "But to restrict one part of the state is not fair. I don't think this has anything at all to do with conservation."

On Tuesday afternoon Blanchet, was preparing a presentation for Thursday's commission meeting. While he wouldn't comment on anything outside the realm of science, he admitted that fisheries management can often be a delicate "juggling act" between social and economic issues.

Other experts say because our fisheries are managed for the people, public opinion often dictates management styles.

"We live in a democracy," said Randy Pausina, DWF biologist. "If that's what the majority of the people want - and it's not going to have a negative impact on the fisheries, they can bring it to the commission for a decision.

The bottom line is that if the new limits go into effect there will be more fish in the water. And Blanchet said that's not necessarily a bad thing. However, he warned: "With no harvest there are no benefits."

Blanchet's presentation will likely point to natural mortality rates, which is especially high among the younger, spawning speckled trout.

"It's certainly not going to destroy the species if you reduce the total harvest," he said. "This species (Cynoscion nebulosus) has lived for thousands - perhaps hundreds of thousands of years before (humans) began harvesting them"

Meanwhile, Mouton said he would still support the change - even if the biologists claim the creel reduction will have little or no impact on the fishery in Lake Calcasieu.

"I would still want to go forward with it," Mouton said. "We've got some great biologists here. But (marine biology) is not an inexact science."

Much of the uproar has come guides and anglers who claim that fewer trophy trout are being caught. But the academics say big trout are cyclical, and we are now reaching the end of a trophy trout cycle, or run. Many of these wallhangers began began their life cycles in banner recruitment years that were spawned by optimum growing conditions from 1998 to 2000.

"During (that period) there was a drought," Blanchet said. "There was warm water, very dry conditions and high salinities."

From a scientific stance, biologists remain uncertain if the new regulation will ultimately increase stocks of speckled trout off the Louisiana coast. But they are sure of one thing - it certainly will not hurt.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Biological observations

Biologists don’t see a problem with the trout population in Calcasieu Lake. They said that anglers might catch fewer specks because fish simply don’t bite occasionally or they move to find better food, temperatures or water conditions.

“The speckled trout population in the Calcasieu Estuary is healthy,” said Mike Harbison, a biologist with the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries in Lake Charles. “I don’t see a biological need to change the limit. We are finding fish in our sampling. If something is not broken, why fix it?”

Trout spawn from April through September with the peak in June, Harbison said. A speck reaches sexual maturity after one year. One large trout can produce 1.65 million eggs in a spawning season.

A trout may live 13 years, but most die before they live one year. More than 90 percent of trout die before they live four years. About four percent reach 25 inches long. One percent reaches 26 inches. Natural mortality from predators or other environmental factors take 66 percent of the trout regardless of fishing pressure. If the state banned fishing entirely, that percentage will not change, Harbison said.

“If we dropped the limit to 15 fish per day, we’ll only save about 14 percent of the fish caught now,” Harbison said. “If we go down to 10 fish per day, we’ll save about 29 percent of the fish now caught and kept. To make any significant changes, we’ll have to go to eight fish per day or less.”
Old 03-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Red Snapper

W, Has CCA in your opinion ever done anything worthwhile? Anywhere? Or is it just a big lake thing for you. Curious?