SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I hunted with lots of dogs some come from trainers and some from guys who trained them

By far 100% dogs trained by owners of dog were better dogs!!

I have hunted with D's dog and that mule is a machine!! Sucker picks up 2-3 ducks at a time...

I have been on 3 hunts of opening day in my life with dogs that came from trainers

Dog #1 ; Little Chenier about 20 years ago my cousin got his prize field breed lab (3k) back from training for opening of duck season!!
1st 3 shots this dog took off like lighting and we never saw him for 3 days

Dog #2 ; 2010 Rice field, buddy just got his prize 7k total with training dog back and never seen a dog get beat so much because it did not know what a duck was!! Would not pick up birds

Dog #3 2012 Rice Field, Dog was a trainers for 8months and buddy was bragging about how bad azz this dog was and showed me some trials he won that summer ( yada yada yada) This dog retrieved more decoys and tangled up more decoys than he got ducks!!
Whats good is when a guy comes out and ask you if he can bring his dog. You try to explain the marsh is total different than the field.Its suppose to be one of those high powered dog that cost $10,000. Well you give in knowing better and the first duck on the pond the dog jumps out and smashes all your grass down and wont go get the duck so you spend your day going get the birds and then have too fix your grass back. I have learned now and tell them to keep it in there truck
Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,801

I think what people are missing here is that the "ribbon" dog owners are only trying to push others to try out a training program, not saying your dog sucks if Raymond didn't train it. Besides Raymond has been known to help many of us with dog problems for no money. However if you don't want to pull your hair out trying to train your own mutt, holler at Raymond. He'll get you some of those ribbons, hell "Trip" has tons of 'em and if I had ducks to shoot at he'd have 700 retrieves also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Redfish

Cash: 730

My puppy is neither he's not worth much only picked up 258 this year first season so for. But he loves the game as much as me makes everyday enjoyable and never have to holler at him.

Last edited by redspeck82; 12-09-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: .
Old 12-09-2013, 03:09 AM
Redfish

Cash: 723

All I'm saying is when y'all's dogs pick up 7 to 800 birds a year in the most thickest **** u have ever seen gets cut up lips around but still has the heart to go an never seen a trainer an that works an listens better than most kids an you don't need a whistle around ur neck or stand up out the blind so the dog can see you to tell it witch way to go an still gets the job done so u don't have to get out the blind an can hunt in a marsh in the morning an then in the afternoon go to the rice field an pick up a limit of specks an work just as good now that's a good dog. I have seen first hand dogs work wonderful in the marsh then u put the in a rice field an they suck or the other way around but when u got a dog that does both yea that's a real dog
Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrab1989 View Post
All I'm saying is when y'all's dogs pick up 7 to 800 birds a year in the most thickest **** u have ever seen gets cut up lips around but still has the heart to go an never seen a trainer an that works an listens better than most kids an you don't need a whistle around ur neck or stand up out the blind so the dog can see you to tell it witch way to go an still gets the job done so u don't have to get out the blind an can hunt in a marsh in the morning an then in the afternoon go to the rice field an pick up a limit of specks an work just as good now that's a good dog. I have seen first hand dogs work wonderful in the marsh then u put the in a rice field an they suck or the other way around but when u got a dog that does both yea that's a real dog
Dat was da longest sentence I ever read
Old 12-09-2013, 07:13 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Dat was da longest sentence I ever read
I was about to say the same thing. Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

try reading it in one breath.

bottom line is, $5,000 for a dog that is a kennel king? ive just seen to many dogs that were trained easily by the owner and work perfect. i think its become more of a pissing contest between people and who can say they spent the most and who can have a dog with an actually worthless title.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

I would love to see some of these dogs in action. That could be interesting.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,071

We are from lake Arthur that how we talk without taking a breath lol.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,087

I have hunted with both rock dogs and ribbon dogs. From my experiences, the dog that has the most experience is usually the better dog. I have seen top dollar dogs that are incredible dogs in both hunting situations and field trials. I have seen "rock dogs" that are obedient as hell in the blind that pick up every single bird that falls. I agree with what most people have said a good dog is a dog that makes it's owner proud. I trained my 2 year old myself. I molded her into the dog that I wanted her to be. She's a great family dog and an excellent hunter both in the marsh and in the field. Training a puppy can be the most mentally challenging thing anyone can do. It takes a type of patience that most people do not have. I respect dog trainers and I see value in what they do, but I do know that it is possible to mold a good hunting dog on your own if you have the time. Every dog is different; "titled out" or "picks up 800 birds a year" means nothing. They are born with the instincts to retrieve and to please their owner. whether you have to throw rocks or cast them to a blind means nothing. To me a good hunting dog is a partner more than it is "tool". It's that extra body in the truck on the way to the blind that is just as amp'd up as your are about opening day. In the end, people will always bicker back and forth about who's dog is better. To me, it doesnt matter how much money was spent on the animal or how it was trained. If its a pleasure to be around and it picks up birds the same way every other retriever does, then its a good dog.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrab1989 View Post
I haven't hunted with a dog like this. No sarcasm intended at all, but how does the dog manage? Does he mark 360 degrees around the area and never have to run a blind retrieve? Does he just start the hunt it up process 20yds from the blind and start making big circles throughout the field/marsh until he winds the bird? Or do you just send him back and sit down and wait for him to show up with the bird? I'm having trouble imagining how you control your dog.

I've owned/hunted with rock dogs and ribbon dogs, but it sure is easier to carry a whistle than have 6 lbs of limestone in my shell bucket. But it may be that I'm just not a good thrower, idk.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
I would love to see some of these dogs in action. That could be interesting.
Lets have a SaltyCajun training day sponsored by a retriever club from the Laffy/LC area!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Redfish

Cash: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
They must have had a coonazz training them
I do not have any problem with people sending their dogs to a trainer even though I prefer to do my own training. I do have a problem with people you think they can send their dog to a trainer and its going to come back do everything they dreamed of. The problem here is the owner needs to be trained as well. They need to learn how to communicate with the dog in a way that is consistent with what the dog has been taught. Second, owner need to do alot of research before they just shell out $_k to a "trainer". I have seen several "professional trainers" at hunt test that are an embarrassment to the profession. These same trainers probably giving trainers a bad name in the hunting blinds as well.

I have read several replies that shows the true ignorance of the poster when it comes to "ribbon dogs". Most titled dogs have earned their titles through Hunt Tests and not field trials. Real birds are thrown at hunt tests, shots are fired for every bird thrown, and there are usually decoys placed as a distraction.

Does this mean a "ribbon dog" is ready for hunting? No! The dog has many of the tools that he needs to be successful, BUT THE OWNER needs to work with the dog in the environment in which he will be performing. Trainers and test can only replicate the hunting environment to a certain degree.

All I am trying to say here is don't hold is against the dog when he doesn't perform in the field. Ribbon dogs or rock dogs are only going to perform to the level that they were trained. So blame the owner who is ultimately responsible for seeing that his dog is prepared for the situation they put them in.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
Lets have a SaltyCajun training day sponsored by a retriever club from the Laffy/LC area!
I think this is a grand idea!!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

id like to watch this. can "W" enter himself as a retriever? pretty good % he has there!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Redfish

Cash: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
Attachment 59559

So, is he good or bad? His limitations are mine, plain and simple.

You have hit the nail on the head. Don't expect a dog to do what he hasn't been taught to do.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
Them guys don't know what they're doing. Their dogs don't even hunt or pick up real birds!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Flounder

Cash: 669

I love reading post like these. There are so many assumptions on rock vs ribbon dogs, I have trained my own dog with the help of Raymond and I also have a dog with a field trial trainer. People assume that since they have a dog that they trained themselves and are good at the one situation that they hunt that they are better than other peoples "ribbon" dogs. When it comes to sending dogs to a trainer like KB said just because you can buy a corvette does not mean you can drive one. I have seen dogs leave trainers that can really run that the owners will not be able to handle there way out of a wet paper sack. I have also seen people like Kenner 18 that spent money at a so called trainer to pick the dog up and come to the realization that the dog spent 4-8 months in a kennel and did not see the first live bird or have a gun fired over his head. In most hunting situations the dog with the most experience wins regardless of training methods and if you put it in the same situation it will develop the patterns if it is a smart dog. I moved here from north LA and I know my dog had to get used to marsh hunting with the majority of his experience being in rice fields and flooded timber. With that being said with owning what I consider a well trained dog, a rock dog may win the one situation that they are good at (ie marsh, ricefield, timber, dry field) however if you put a well trained dog with somebody that can handle the dog, that dog will win the war (all hunting types).

This is not a insult at anybody's dog, that's why I did quote anybody. I feel that some people think that they need to downplay trained dogs due to lack of knowledge. Bubba Watson won the masters and never had a golf lesson however there are more people that play pro golf that have taken lessons.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

definite pissing match here... my dog this, my dog that... blah blah...

if you dont want a trained dog, then dont spend your money on one.. if you have time to train your own dog, then save your money and use your time training your dog.. plain and simple..

like somebody said earlier, usually the dog with the most experience wins..

and apparently LILRAB has the most badass dog ever, either that or he cant shoot worth a **** when he is crippling birds 400yds off in the thickest marsh grass imaginable..

Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7722 View Post
I do not have any problem with people sending their dogs to a trainer even though I prefer to do my own training. I do have a problem with people you think they can send their dog to a trainer and its going to come back do everything they dreamed of. The problem here is the owner needs to be trained as well. They need to learn how to communicate with the dog in a way that is consistent with what the dog has been taught. Second, owner need to do alot of research before they just shell out $_k to a "trainer". I have seen several "professional trainers" at hunt test that are an embarrassment to the profession. These same trainers probably giving trainers a bad name in the hunting blinds as well.

I have read several replies that shows the true ignorance of the poster when it comes to "ribbon dogs". Most titled dogs have earned their titles through Hunt Tests and not field trials. Real birds are thrown at hunt tests, shots are fired for every bird thrown, and there are usually decoys placed as a distraction.

Does this mean a "ribbon dog" is ready for hunting? No! The dog has many of the tools that he needs to be successful, BUT THE OWNER needs to work with the dog in the environment in which he will be performing. Trainers and test can only replicate the hunting environment to a certain degree.

All I am trying to say here is don't hold is against the dog when he doesn't perform in the field. Ribbon dogs or rock dogs are only going to perform to the level that they were trained. So blame the owner who is ultimately responsible for seeing that his dog is prepared for the situation they put them in.
And we all say......Amen