SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902
Default Number of ducks migrating..

Was just on another forum..saw some people complaining about how the ducks aren't migrating like the used too..

I think, that yes, there a few that don't migrate down, but I think this year is just off because of all the water.

What do yall think?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Years ago the ducks had to migrate down here because all the water up north was frozen. Now that folks have learned to recirculate the water in the ponds they don't freeze up. that and more planting is being done to keep the ducks up north.
In other words . Shortstopping
Old 12-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned

when i first started duck hunting I remember needing to bring 2 boxes of shells and emptying my gun as fast as i could load it. picking out greenheads and sprigs
Old 12-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

My opinion is that yes.....the migration have changed and are changing....I been hunting for over 45 years and have seen a lot of changes....I remember when the limit of ducks where 2 because the populations where way down......and there were more mallards wintering in Louisiana then than there is now....the mallard migration is starting to remind me of the canadian geese migration to Louisiana...in time mallard's migrating to Louisiana will be few and far between...lot to do with north farmers realizing there is money in duck hunting, keeping water from freezing, and the CRP and WRP programs which has established new areas for ducks.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Seems in LA you have the haves and have nots......I know a few folks that hunt in the marsh in Pecan Island that are killing limits just about every hunt (3-4 days per week). I hunt a rice field blind in Kaplan. Seems after the first week of the season (once the teal thin out) we only kill on a day that a front is moving thru like tomorrow (THURS) morning. I talk with several others that hunt in rice fields in SW LA and and the marsh. Seems these days in SW LA to kill ducks day in and day out you have to hunt in the Marsh! Just my 2 cents!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Great White

I had an old feller down my road tell me....

Drought years=hunt river
Flood years= hunt feilds and marsh.

Looks like this year that fact is proving..no ducks on river..
Old 12-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,545

saw 3 birds in cameron this morning...3 birds...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851
Default Vinton

I know my marsh in vinton has never been this bad. My uncles are going and not even getting a duck to decoy. Even during first split this was happening. They are not even jumping birds while running the marsh after the hunts.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
I know my marsh in vinton has never been this bad. My uncles are going and not even getting a duck to decoy. Even during first split this was happening. They are not even jumping birds while running the marsh after the hunts.

thats alright..we gunna get em tomorrow!

i hope..
Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

There are no ducks in little chenier. No ducks in marksville. No ducks on the calcasieu in kinder. No ducks in cocodrie. No ducks in the ricefields from welsh to mamou. There are no ducks this year. It's very discouraging.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 699

Grew up hunting rice fields and never had trouble killing ducks and geese until the last few years, like ASR said it has to be a good day for ducks to kill limits now. In the 70's and 80's we were having to run the ducks and geese off everyday just to get the rice crop planted. Anybody else remember those days that a waterleveled rice field would be covered from one end to the other AFTER THE SEASON CLOSED?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

I remember those days from the mid 90s. I used to go and before I had a shotgun I would shoot them with a Benjamin pellet rifle
Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Great White

Hunted in Kaplan this morning and we got one snow goose and lost a teal. Tomorrow should be good! Cannot believe there are no ducks in Grand Cheiner since ya'll are not too far from Pecan Island.
My father in law is spoiled......If they have to shoot teal in Pecan Island at his buddies lease he is They usually shoot their 2 mottle ducks and 10 greys! Must be nice! However, this is weird, he has almost 2 sections with 4 blinds on it and really only 1 blind is killing and another one is average. The other 2 are not that good....well 2-4 birds per 2 hunters total.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Hunted in Kaplan this morning and we got one snow goose and lost a teal. Tomorrow should be good! Cannot believe there are no ducks in Grand Cheiner since ya'll are not too far from Pecan Island.
My father in law is spoiled......If they have to shoot teal in Pecan Island at his buddies lease he is They usually shoot their 2 mottle ducks and 10 greys! Must be nice! However, this is weird, he has almost 2 sections with 4 blinds on it and really only 1 blind is killing and another one is average. The other 2 are not that good....well 2-4 birds per 2 hunters total.

Tomorrow if its not on...I know a few spots to go crawl some geese off the hyway...Anybody wanna join?? I can't promise we walk away...but i can promise some geese..
Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,545

i don't know...it was quite depressing this morning...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

i don't know about the high temp for tommorrow being at 6 am that can't be good
Old 12-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
i don't know about the high temp for tommorrow being at 6 am that can't be good

It suppsoed to be dropping all day?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

We are still doing pretty good down in our marsh. Last 2 days been seeing alot of mallards and pintail coming down. I think alot of our problem is the north states use to not hunt ducks very much and seen how much revenew that it brought in and went all out and got land flooded for miles up there and is holding a big % of our birds. All the sugar cane around here has screwed alot of our habitat up to no end. There is nothing around here thats eats cane. Yak my buddies down the road from you are having some pretty good days on teal and greys.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Great White

100% chance of rain at 6 a.m for cameron...this will be good!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Great White

Fool I agree. Looks like it will be hitting the Kaplan area around 7-8 plus a lot of wind! Cannot wait!