SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > The Comedy Club (Jokes, Humor)

The Comedy Club (Jokes, Humor) Tell your favorite jokes here! Keep it PG rated, please.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Lmfao Duck Butter

Math Geek (white Trunks).....

You just got knocked the ................... OUT
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

what are you, two years old or three?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
what are you, two years old or three?
The Comedy Club (Jokes, Humor) Tell your favorite jokes here! Keep it PG rated, please.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

What?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Haha. And Ace, it's just a joke. That 3tail thread might've been the most civil discussion ever on SC.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Haha. And Ace, it's just a joke. That 3tail thread might've been the most civil discussion ever on SC.
Are you suggesting that I should pass up an opportunity to give W some Shiz for being a bit immature!!!

Phhhhhhssssshhhhh Where's the derned fun in that?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
Are you suggesting that I should pass up an opportunity to give W some Shiz for being a bit immature!!!

Phhhhhhssssshhhhh Where's the derned fun in that?

True
Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Red Snapper

In all seriousness, discussion is always a good thing. It even is a good thing in some ways that "W" is so contentious.... because whether you love him or hate him... he has got some discussion going and thereby is getting people to think about it.

Usually that's how things get fixed... so here's to hoping that this is going to end up with some fixes.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Ha, Ha. I actually injured my foot trying to kick my daughter's punching bag last night.

The winners and losers in science and policy debates are not the participants, but rather the general public and those who will be most strongly impacted by good or repressive public policy.

Duck Butter has made some good points, as have many other contributors to the discussion. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Our hunting, fishing, and 2nd amendment rights are under attack from all angles. Bad conservation science is one angle. Dislike of lead projectiles is another angle, and the banning of lead bullets (where there is not a need demonstrated by sound science) is a back door to driving up the cost of hunting while at the same time reducing performance and ammo availability. Some states are even banning lead fishing sinkers. PETA type demands for "humanitarian" harvest is yet another angle. Requirements for circle hooks is another approach. There have also been proposals to require magnetic hooks in fisheries with elasmobranch by catch (sharks and rays).

When you look at the totality of the hunting and fishing regulations of most states (esp if you include federal laws, gun laws, and boating laws that must be adhered to), you should see a burdensome maze of bureaucracy that presents a significant barrier to participation.

Louisiana's laws for recreational angling and hunting are not nearly as burdensome and convoluted as many states, but take a peek at the commercial fishing regulations and assess the bureaucratic barriers needed to sell a few crabs or shrimp or crawfish a few weekends each year at a roadside stand. Are all those regulatory barriers really needed?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Red Snapper

Well said MG,

Our 1st, and 4th amendment rights are not fairing well in today's world either.

Far to often interest's with the cheddar to do so, are changing rights / laws / regulations to suit their need for profit.

Sadly the needs of the general public, and the need to preserve a greater good are far to often ignored.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
take a peek at the commercial fishing regulations and assess the bureaucratic barriers needed to sell a few crabs or shrimp or crawfish a few weekends each year at a roadside stand. Are all those regulatory barriers really needed?
On this point I think stringent rules are appropriate as needed for public health concerns. 50 years ago I'll bet most people buying seafood from roadside stands were going to consume that food within a few miles of where it was bought. If a seller was unscrupulous and selling old product then it was relatively easy to track them down.

Today with advances in refrigeration and chemicals to keep the product looking fresh longer, added to people traveling long distances from where they bought the food to where it is consumed, you could run into all kinds of health problems. I think a reasonable person would agree that regulation is needed in today's world.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
On this point I think stringent rules are appropriate as needed for public health concerns. 50 years ago I'll bet most people buying seafood from roadside stands were going to consume that food within a few miles of where it was bought. If a seller was unscrupulous and selling old product then it was relatively easy to track them down.

Today with advances in refrigeration and chemicals to keep the product looking fresh longer, added to people traveling long distances from where they bought the food to where it is consumed, you could run into all kinds of health problems. I think a reasonable person would agree that regulation is needed in today's world.
Sure, there should be some reasonable food safety regulations to ensure public health.

But look at the overall bureaucratic burden by the time the currently applicable food safety regulations, commercial licensing regulations, insurance requirements, commercial fishing regulations, state and federal tax laws, boating regulations, zoning laws, and who knows what else need to be met simultaneously. The barrier to entry is so high, and the upfront investment in time and expense to meet all the requirements is so demanding that most aspiring entrepreneurs simply won't bother for a seasonal or occasional product availability.

My wife and I owned and operated a small farm business in Ohio for a decade. We raised and sold beef, lamb, grapes, apples, vegetables, and other farm products both from the farm property and at local farmer's markets. Encroaching legal requirements and rapidly rising insurance costs constantly raised the burden of keeping a business profitable on gross revenues in the five figure range. The overall burden on a small seafood business in Louisiana is much, much greater, and complying with all the rules for a harvester to have a direct retail outlet will require either extensive existing infrastructure (property and capital already paid for) or a six figure annual gross revenue, both in many cases.

When I stop at a roadside stand to buy shrimp or crawfish, I understand that there is a level of risk different from the supermarket, but I am willing to personally accept those risks to gain a fresher, better product (often at a lower price and in bulk quantities) than the supermarket. Those who are not capable of assessing the risks by inspecting the product, the storage conditions, and looking the vendor in the eye and asking a few key questions should stick to buying their seafood at brick and mortar shops. Walmart has plenty of talapia.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,544

Yeah talapia from Viet frickin' Nam...look we all know lawyers have ****ed this country up...yes we have to have them but they complicate the crap out of everything
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 08-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Did anyone see the episode of dirty jobs where they raised tilapia in sewer ponds? I will take fish from our waters any day over that!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:09 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Did anyone see the episode of dirty jobs where they raised tilapia in sewer ponds? I will take fish from our waters any day over that!
Wow! I missed that. But I've paused at the talapia display at Walmart a few times, held the package in my hands, admired the fillets, and been tempted.

Thanks for the clarification. We're not able to raise our own beef and lamb any more, but we can still catch our own fish!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

I can't buy frozen shrimp from walmart after watching a show on how they are farmed in Vietnam and Thailand. It's pretty disturbing that people eat that stuff. Only gulf shrimp for me!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Ate some Spanish crawfish last night. Pretty good.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

there is a farm in lafayette that raises organic tilapia.... They sell it at the hub city farmers market in the oil center on saturday mornings
Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
there is a farm in lafayette that raises organic tilapia.... They sell it at the hub city farmers market in the oil center on saturday mornings
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... This is news to me... I wanted to raise some tilapia in a small backyard aquaponics system. I have since decided to go with baby channel cats that i catch out of our local lake. Tilapia are the preferred fish to use because of there extraordinary growth rates as well as being exceedingly sturdy fish that will actually be in growth cycle for the majority of the year here in LA.

I was looking to raise possibly a few hundred at a time, They would have been housed in a system of 5 IBC containers converted to hydroponics use.

The reason i didn't go tilapia is that i was made to understand that it is absolutely illegal to import, sell, raise, breed, multiply or in any way mess with this fish in the state of LA. I even checked with a friend who is a local LDWF agent and he said don't even think about it.

Was told that there is a lot of fear that these fish will get into la waters and wreck havok like they have in some other states waters (i know they are getting pretty bad in some area's of texas)
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Red Snapper

By the way meaux... not saying i don't believe... just wondering what kind of bribes must have been going on to make it happen.