SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion > Hunting Reports

Hunting Reports Read and share your hunting reports here!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Flounder

Cash: 712

We are hunting between PI and White Lake. Our season has been bad. I hear some shooting east of us. The last 2 hunts have resulted in 1 bird each hunt. This is the same lease where limit days were expected. We are fighting salvania and I am thinking that may be the problem. I am told that freezing weather kills it. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Redfish

Cash: 829

We had 4 scaup yesterday W of 27. Like above didn't see 20 ducks other than scaup. Talked to the next blind and they also had 4 scaup/ringnecks. Pond has plenty of feed just no big ducks. We didn't see a teal and haven't in the last several hunts.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr353 View Post
We are hunting between PI and White Lake. Our season has been bad. I hear some shooting east of us. The last 2 hunts have resulted in 1 bird each hunt. This is the same lease where limit days were expected. We are fighting salvania and I am thinking that may be the problem. I am told that freezing weather kills it. Does anyone know if this is true?
We blamed salvinia the past few years also, this year no salvinia and still no ducks. Not sure about the freeze killing it.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Hopefully this isn?t the new norm for duck hunting in our area. The past few years we could blame high water in the marsh and warm temps all season long. Not so this year. We have no excuses..

You?re not the only one, very discouraging . And also frustrating,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Hopefully this isn?t the new norm for duck hunting in our area. The past few years we could blame high water in the marsh and warm temps all season long. Not so this year. We have no excuses. I know things go in cycles but I?m starting to think that they don?t come here anymore. Gray ducks were our bread and butter for years and I don?t think we have killed 20 Grays this year. Hope I?m wrong about this!! East side of Pecan Is.

I?ve been thinking the same, water levels good, weather is better than the past 2 seasons. But no ducks, just leaves me scratching my head

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 09:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

I don?t think it?s weather, water levels or salvania. It?s the fact that all along the flyway duck hunting is becoming much more popular and they are developing more habitat favorable for ducks so they have a place to hunt them too. And the hunting pressure down here is flat out insane. I think duck hunting and goose hunting in south LA is not going to get any better at all. I think it?s just going to get worse every year. May have some years better than others to keep the hope alive, but gonna be an overall downward trend. Especially if every single water hole is being leased up and they have zero refuge
Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
I don?t think it?s weather, water levels or salvania. It?s the fact that all along the flyway duck hunting is becoming much more popular and they are developing more habitat favorable for ducks so they have a place to hunt them too. And the hunting pressure down here is flat out insane. I think duck hunting and goose hunting in south LA is not going to get any better at all. I think it?s just going to get worse every year. May have some years better than others to keep the hope alive, but gonna be an overall downward trend. Especially if every single water hole is being leased up and they have zero refuge
Totally agree with all of the above, especially the pressure in south La. it’s insane.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174

Entire pond was frozen today we did our best to break it up but did not fire a shot in johnson bayou.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
The refuges we do have are loaded. Like you said, too much pressure along entire flyway. They're here, you just don't see em. They're not leaving to feed until sunset, and they're back in White Lake and Lacassine before shooting time. Can't have a blind on every 100 acres down here and expect to kill. Arkansas is just as bad, and Missouri will be the same way soon.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:12 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
The refuges we do have are loaded. Like you said, too much pressure along entire flyway. They're here, you just don't see em. They're not leaving to feed until sunset, and they're back in White Lake and Lacassine before shooting time. Can't have a blind on every 100 acres down here and expect to kill. Arkansas is just as bad, and Missouri will be the same way soon.
Not to mention if they fly 100 yards over most blinds and potholes they will have 12-15 shots rang out at em.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Not to mention if they fly 100 yards over most blinds and potholes they will have 12-15 shots rang out at em.

Folks is desperate for facebook pics. Dey NEED dead ducks to take pics of beyond all costs. Workin ducks into the decoys?? Ain't nobody got time for dat!!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:52 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Folks is desperate for facebook pics. Dey NEED dead ducks to take pics of beyond all costs. Workin ducks into the decoys?? Ain't nobody got time for dat!!
Lot of truth to what you say.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

Hearing good marsh reports last 2 days outta PI gettum while you can
Old 01-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Heard limits going back down to 3. A lot of those $5000-$10000 duck blinds will be empty if that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Went this AM. Didn't fire a shot. I know one $10,000 spot that will be available next year.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Went this AM. Didn't fire a shot. I know one $10,000 spot that will be available next year.

Damn man. I was pumped up to get out to my lease this weekend after that cold spell. Looks like it'll be a waste of time.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Damn man. I was pumped up to get out to my lease this weekend after that cold spell. Looks like it'll be a waste of time.

Been last 2 days. Killed 0 today and only a few yesterday.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOP View Post
Heard limits going back down to 3. A lot of those $5000-$10000 duck blinds will be empty if that happens.

Been hearing those same rumblings...along with a 45 day season. Kinda seems inevitable with all these poor reports throughout the state...even after a 5 day artic front. Take the money we spend down here and book a 3 day hunt in Missouri.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:01 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
Been hearing those same rumblings...along with a 45 day season. Kinda seems inevitable with all these poor reports throughout the state...even after a 5 day artic front. Take the money we spend down here and book a 3 day hunt in Missouri.

Water was even lower today. Only the back 4 feet of your boat was in the water. 25 feet before you hit the boat ditch out of the lake, was mud no water.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOP View Post

Amen bring it on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk