SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Redfish

Cash: 678
Default A Nice Gift from My Father

I just had to show this off. Not bragging (ok, maybe just a little!), I'm just so pleased about this. Really I'm hoping to find a bit of info about it. My dad gave me his old .22 gun belt recently. He hasn't used it in years, and has another holster for his revolver. I got a .22 revolver last year and a holster for it, but it's not a nice gun belt like this one. I asked him about it, and he said a buddy of his took a trip to Mexico and bought it for him there. Dad doesn't remember what he paid the guy for it, it was about 40 years ago or more. Probably in the late 1960's. He said it was probably not expensive, though. It has a stamp in the leather next to what I assume is a serial number, that says "Hecho en Mexico" and "Reyes". I know that's "Made in Mexico" by "Reyes". The hammer thong is the original one, but I had to replace the leg tie-down. I just used a long leather shoe lace, which was pretty much the same thing that was there before. It had just gotten weak and broke some time over the years. Otherwise, it's in good shape for being at least 40 years old. My gun's barrel extends about 1/2' from the end of the holster, but that's ok. It holds 22 rounds of .22 cal ammo in the bullet loops. I've looked it up and can't find anything on Reyes Mexican made western gun belts. Maybe some of you are familiar with it and can tell me the approximate value. Not that the price means anything, I really like the gun belt even if it's not "valuable" money-wise. This one means a lot to me, as a fine gift from my dad. I'm just curious about it. I'd like to know maybe the name of this model, if they're still making them, etc. I'd also like to see some pictures of other Reyes gun belts. Just curious. If any of you have any info, please let me know. Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun Belt.jpg (75.0 KB, 320 views)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

Thats awesome!! Good looking belt!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 437

Congrats on the gift. You may know this but don't store the gun or ammo in a leather holster. The chemicals used in tanning are corrosive and will rust the gun and ammo. I know this from experience. I have a Smith and Wesson 44 that I put in a western style leather holster. Within a week the gun and ammo were rusting. Congrats again on the holster. Gifts from Dad's are special.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

congrats on the gift.... thats real nice.. You might bring it to "Pawn Stars" in vegas, they have all the experts !!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 851

Don't hardly see any good 'cow-hide' anymore. Now everything is Cordura, plastic, composite or nylon. Sweet heirloom gift. I know you'll treasure it in the years to come...
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfarmer View Post
Congrats on the gift. You may know this but don't store the gun or ammo in a leather holster. The chemicals used in tanning are corrosive and will rust the gun and ammo. I know this from experience. I have a Smith and Wesson 44 that I put in a western style leather holster. Within a week the gun and ammo were rusting. Congrats again on the holster. Gifts from Dad's are special.
I knew about the ammo but never heard of a gun getting rusty. I remember when I was a kid putting .22 rounds in the bullet loops and after a while (maybe a few weeks) they turned greenish. Didn't know about the gun, though. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyShaw View Post
Thats awesome!! Good looking belt!
Thank you. Dad got it all "gussied up" a few days before he gave it to me with some neatsfoot oil, and I think he put on some kind of polish and buffed it with a cloth or soft brush. I was surprised it looked that good considering it's age.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

reyes is the maker. Cleto Reyes made holsters when he was a boy and went on to become one of the worlds formost makers of leather boxing gloves , shoes and accessories. Most of the hard punchers back in the day used Reyes gloves.
Found a double holster and belt that looks just like yours on e bay for $55
Old 11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

Congratulations on that fine piece.

My great granddad passed my family down a rare 1898 Colt Bisley 44 40 Revolver
Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle922 View Post
Congratulations on that fine piece.

My great granddad passed my family down a rare 1898 Colt Bisley 44 40 Revolver
Sweet!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Back in the '60's.....most leather goods from Mexico where fairly cheap. I bought a nice bullwhip.....I think it was only a few dollars.

I would guess it cost $ ~ 15 .......but if he "haggled" on the price, he may have only paid $ 5-6.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 576

Beautiful belt. One of my heirlooms is one of the guns my father gave me that has been passed down through the family over the years. Old double barrel shotgun with hand hammered barrel that has all kinds of etching. I will get a picture of it later today. Never checked value anywhere but a friends dad wanted to give me $4000.00 on the spot. Nope!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshore Marine View Post
Beautiful belt. One of my heirlooms is one of the guns my father gave me that has been passed down through the family over the years. Old double barrel shotgun with hand hammered barrel that has all kinds of etching. I will get a picture of it later today. Never checked value anywhere but a friends dad wanted to give me $4000.00 on the spot. Nope!
PLEASE post a picture when you can. I love old guns.