SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
This is the link MG showed and if you actually look into it, there is some merit to it because it is a FOR profit organization and not a religious institution. IF it was a church, it would be different. The court is just upholding the law put in place for discrimination.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...-weddings.html

From the link:
According to the lawsuit, the wedding chapel is registered with the state as a “religious corporation” limited to performing “one-man-one-woman marriages as defined by the Holy Bible.”

But the chapel is also registered as a for-profit business – not as a church or place of worship – and city officials said that means the owners must comply with a local nondiscrimination ordinance.

That ordinance, passed last year, prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, and it applies to housing, employment and public accommodation.

If you are a business owner (which this chapel is and the bakery in Oregon), you have to adhere to the laws of discrimination.

That doesn't mean you can't refuse service to someone who has no shoes, shirt, sagging pants, or drunk, or talking on cellphone, etc. You can tell them to get out.

It is what it is
Couldn't find the link on my phone. If I have no shoes, shirt, clothes on period and I'm on my phone and you ask me to leave aren't you at that point discrimating against me and my lifestyle? As long as I'm not threatening anyone it should be ok. If I'm minding my own business and grocery shopping naked I should be left alone right? If you say no because that's offense just ask a nudist if they feel the same way.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Couldn't find the link on my phone. If I have no shoes, shirt, clothes on period and I'm on my phone and you ask me to leave aren't you at that point discrimating against me and my lifestyle? As long as I'm not threatening anyone it should be ok. If I'm minding my own business and grocery shopping naked I should be left alone right? If you say no because that's offense just ask a nudist if they feel the same way.
Not the same. It depends on what the anti-discrimination law of your state, city, or whatever is. It's usually something like can't discriminate on the basis of race, gender, or religious preference, or whatever.

Shoes, shirts, sagging pants, drunk, talking on cellphones aren't covered under that. That is why on your business you can have a sign that says No Shirt No Shoes No Service, or No Sagging, etc. because you aren't discriminating against anyone's race or religion. You can't have a sign that says No Muslims or No Hispanics though

And as far as walking around in a grocery store naked, that is illegal. Doesn't matter if you are black, white, or gay, or trisexual, you are getting arrested for public indecency
Old 06-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Sailfish

It is a privately owned business no different than the house I own. I own it. You are there because I allow it. If I don't like your blue shirt you'll leave. Any reason I choose as long as I own it. It is not public it is private and you are there because I allow you to be.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Not the same. It depends on what the anti-discrimination law of your state, city, or whatever is. It's usually something like can't discriminate on the basis of race, gender, or religious preference, or whatever.

Shoes, shirts, sagging pants, drunk, talking on cellphones aren't covered under that. That is why on your business you can have a sign that says No Shirt No Shoes No Service, or No Sagging, etc. because you aren't discriminating against anyone's race or religion. You can't have a sign that says No Muslims or No Hispanics though
Don't have a sign just too busy to work on their crap.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Sailfish

I will glady set them up an appointment though as long as they are willing to wait 8/12 months. Busy busy busy.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
It is a privately owned business no different than the house I own. I own it. You are there because I allow it. If I don't like your blue shirt you'll leave. Any reason I choose as long as I own it. It is not public it is private and you are there because I allow you to be.
As far as your business, you have that right for sure. You can refuse service to anyone you please (people with blue shirts even) as long as it's not discriminating against race or sexual orientation, or religion, or whatever laws you fall under

Your house you can pretty much do what you want because its not a for profit business. If you are running a shop out of your home though, its then a for profit business and falls back into the above category
Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Sailfish

It falls where I say it falls. Sorry not trying to be a douche but I serve no person I don't want to. The reason why is easy to find. Just too busy or you have on a blue shirt and I don't like it. It's easy to be selective. Once you can marry your dog do I have to allow it? Who cleans up the s hi t when someones husband or wife takes a dump on my office floor?
Sorry but I couldn't resist being a smart azz
Old 06-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Quote:
It falls where I say it falls. Sorry not trying to be a douche but I serve no person I don't want to. The reason why is easy to find. Just too busy or you have on a blue shirt and I don't like it. It's easy to be selective. Once you can marry your dog do I have to allow it? Who cleans up the s hi t when someones husband or wife takes a dump on my office floor?
Sorry but I couldn't resist being a smart azz
This is great.

This isn't quite the case. The things Duck brought up are protected classes.

The same thing people try to sue for (fired for racial reason, not hired because of a particular sex). And yes you can be sued for not serving someone because they are a particular something or other. They just have to prove that was the reason.

Last edited by capt coonassty; 06-30-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
As far as your business, you have that right for sure. You can refuse service to anyone you please (people with blue shirts even) as long as it's not discriminating against race or sexual orientation, or religion, or whatever laws you fall under

Your house you can pretty much do what you want because its not a for profit business. If you are running a shop out of your home though, its then a for profit business and falls back into the above category
that will ALL be open for discussion when you are sued.
I would not be surprised if there are no Morris Bart adds asking if you butt hurts over not being taken care of at some business
Old 06-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

All I know is, I wish I was licensed to perform ceremonies and had a venue to rent. There is some money to be made in the first few months of this ruling. Couples who have waited years for this will be rushing to get hitched ASAP.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
All I know is, I wish I was licensed to perform ceremonies and had a venue to rent. There is some money to be made in the first few months of this ruling. Couples who have waited years for this will be rushing to get hitched ASAP.
$$$$$$$. You have a great plan
Old 06-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Ascension Parish granted thier first license yesterday I think
Old 06-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Sailfish

Jefferson the day before. Was a thing I saw on fb so wouldn't swear it's true.
I really have no issue with it as long as people aren't forced to agree with their ideology. I have gay friends and they are great people. We have a mutual understanding that we live different lives. We don't talk about it when we hang out. More fun to talk about how cold the beer is and how good the fish is. When the bedroom door is locked I like things that many view as being strange, odd or just plain F'd up. Then again some people leaving the light on is kinky.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Jefferson the day before. Was a thing I saw on fb so wouldn't swear it's true.
I really have no issue with it as long as people aren't forced to agree with their ideology. I have gay friends and they are great people. We have a mutual understanding that we live different lives. We don't talk about it when we hang out. More fun to talk about how cold the beer is and how good the fish is. When the bedroom door is locked I like things that many view as being strange, odd or just plain F'd up. Then again some people leaving the light on is kinky.
Trying to remember what gay actor said this, Nothing is kinky as long as it's enjoyed by 2 consenting adults.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Trying to remember what gay actor said this, Nothing is kinky as long as it's enjoyed by 2 consenting adults.
I can't disagree with that. Do what you want to do in private.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Not really. In states where gay marriage has been legal for some time, identifying as a Christian business has not prevented legal fines and threats of jail for those exerciseing conscience in refusing to participate in homosexual weddings.

Christian ministers have been threatened with jail time for refusing to officiate homosexual weddings. See:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...-weddings.html

Are you "up in arms" about this?
No. Its a for-profit business. I never said identifying yourself as a CHRISTIAN business WOULD protect you. I said identifying yourself as a CHRISTIAN BUSINESS MIGHT keep people away. Doesn't mean it would. Unfortunately, there are people in this world that like to stir the pot. What ever couple went after the Chapel should be ashamed. I don't agree with the lawsuit against them, but they run a BUSINESS, not a church. Like I said, you should be able to do what you want with your business, but that is part of the reason we had the civil rights movement.....because businesses were discriminating against blacks. If you open your doors to the public, AS A BUSINESS, you have to be ready for someone to come after you.

Long story short, no, I'm not up in arms over this. They aren't forcing it on a Religious Institution. They are forcing it on a FOR-PROFIT BUSINESS. I don't think they should have to do it if they don't want to, but unfortunately, that is discrimination, and you can't do that as a business owner.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Sailfish

Haven't lived till you've bled.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
No. Its a for-profit business. I never said identifying yourself as a CHRISTIAN business WOULD protect you. I said identifying yourself as a CHRISTIAN BUSINESS MIGHT keep people away. Doesn't mean it would. Unfortunately, there are people in this world that like to stir the pot. What ever couple went after the Chapel should be ashamed. I don't agree with the lawsuit against them, but they run a BUSINESS, not a church. Like I said, you should be able to do what you want with your business, but that is part of the reason we had the civil rights movement.....because businesses were discriminating against blacks. If you open your doors to the public, AS A BUSINESS, you have to be ready for someone to come after you.

Long story short, no, I'm not up in arms over this. They aren't forcing it on a Religious Institution. They are forcing it on a FOR-PROFIT BUSINESS. I don't think they should have to do it if they don't want to, but unfortunately, that is discrimination, and you can't do that as a business owner.
That's why as a business owner you are simply too busy and behind schedule to be able to accomodate their request. I'm simply too far behind schedule to be able to provide the service you need at the expected time. You are more than welcome to schedule an apointment but we are so busy that our next available spot is 6 months from now. I do apologize for the inconvienence.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

Quote:
That's why as a business owner you are simply too busy and behind schedule to be able to accomodate their request. I'm simply too far behind schedule to be able to provide the service you need at the expected time. You are more than welcome to schedule an apointment but we are so busy that our next available spot is 6 months from now. I do apologize for the inconvienence.

And now that your antics are clear and in writing, you will have a clear cut losing case if you ever end up in court.

That sucks!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
And now that your antics are clear and in writing, you will have a clear cut losing case if you ever end up in court.

That sucks!
Not really. You willing to pay a lawyer to try to prove I'm not too busy to work on your car? Good luck with that. Some days when I'm not busy I close early to have a little more time with my family. I guess I should be forced to stay and work no matter what. I shouldn't be allowed to go home and be with my family if I choose? You don't own a business do you?
I enjoy a good chess match so we can play if you want