SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Venice

Had a bottom fishing trip for snapper. Due to the state water regulation I had to target the mangrove snapper first. Our first 2 mangrove were monsters.

We found some monster red snapper also but unfortunately we were too far out and had to release them. We would get a chance at them later. The customers did not want any amberjack but we hooked up 2 at once. The lines got crossed and we lost one of them while I had one in hand and trying to untangle the lines the lucky guy was able to swim away. This was the first one of the season for me. Nice way to start.

We spent some time dodging spot storms with potential water spouts.

Once back in state waters we targeted the red snapper and ended up 2 short of a limit because 2 of the 6 on board went down with heat related issues. I wanted to head in but the head of the party wanted to get a limit. He had them sit in the shade and tried to keep them cool but it was not working well. As the situation got worse he had to think of others and not be greedy. They were all right but it could have been a lot worse. Keep fluids flowing and shade if possible. There are many times I have to stop fishing and just take a boat ride to cool off. In heat related issues if your stomach starts to feel bad you are getting serious and need attention very soon.

Overall it was a good trip with some nice fish to show for the day. The stud mangrove to the left in the middle row was a double digit fish but not weighed.

My tuna trip was not impressive. Instead of going straight out and run long I tried to hit near tuna spots. The tuna were small.

Fooling around close (W/I 30 miles) cost me some time and allowed a severe storm front to cut me off forcing me to stay close. I did manage some keepers but nothing like I would have gotten if I had gone with plan A.

My offshore trip for Saturday will be the plan A route for sure. I have an inshore Trout run Sunday. Hope the next report is more interesting.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Great report as always capt Hoop
Old 08-09-2013, 03:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I often pass on charter capt reports but never on yours. Entertaining as always and if I ever fish a charter out of Venice it will be with you.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

Thanks.

I do not hype up the reports. When I have a bad day I let you know. Last week I got 2 small ones while one of the best and most popular captains got skunked. Most of us struggled that day. They don't mention those tough days.