SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default North Turners Bay Flat Hazard!

Just thought I'd let everyone that may not know there are permanent polls put up for that new pipeline they ran on the flat that is on the northern most bank in Turners bay. A lot of guys take this short cut from launch, ICW, and just after the saltwater locks and cut that goes to Fred's Lounge they will cut across this flat in 1-2 feet of water into Turners Bay. It's actually posted before the deep cut back there now. I personally don't take this short cut cause I know how shallow that flat can get and once ur committed You Are committed! But I do catch a lot of mullet for bait and have caught several reds, trout and flounder back there. This time last year I was smoking the reds and when the shrimp were on that flat murdered the specks back there. Now almost half of it may be or is posted with several permanent poles across it with do not anchor and posted signs. How much water way can they post up before enough is enough. Not suppose to cross the washout on west side of black lake anymore and Idk if many fish it but at the right time of year there are some hogs back there! Same kind of shallow water with deep holes around it like the flat I'm talking about in turners bay. Man the more I think about it the more I'm curious if the posted signs are for real. I caught a lot of fish back there too. Anyone else see this yet?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Tripletail

I should have stopped and took a picture. I will next time out and post it here. Wonder how deep they put that pipeline?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

The way Louisiana Law is being interpreted . A land owner owns what ever was on the map of Louisiana from 1812. anything that was not a natural waterway on that map is not claimed by the state. (there are some exceptions) . so if turners bay was just a little cut or not shown on that map . The way the law is interpreted in 1812 this was land so it can be posted by the land owner or his lessees. BTW welcome to the east side !!! happening everywhere over here.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM1971 View Post
Just thought I'd let everyone that may not know there are permanent polls put up for that new pipeline they ran on the flat that is on the northern most bank in Turners bay. A lot of guys take this short cut from launch, ICW, and just after the saltwater locks and cut that goes to Fred's Lounge they will cut across this flat in 1-2 feet of water into Turners Bay. It's actually posted before the deep cut back there now. I personally don't take this short cut cause I know how shallow that flat can get and once ur committed You Are committed! But I do catch a lot of mullet for bait and have caught several reds, trout and flounder back there. This time last year I was smoking the reds and when the shrimp were on that flat murdered the specks back there. Now almost half of it may be or is posted with several permanent poles across it with do not anchor and posted signs. How much water way can they post up before enough is enough. Not suppose to cross the washout on west side of black lake anymore and Idk if many fish it but at the right time of year there are some hogs back there! Same kind of shallow water with deep holes around it like the flat I'm talking about in turners bay. Man the more I think about it the more I'm curious if the posted signs are for real. I caught a lot of fish back there too. Anyone else see this yet?
The washout on the west side of black lake has also been levied off again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 989
Default Pipeline

If I'm understanding correctly, this should be it:

http://ucmwww.dnr.state.la.us/ucmsea...%2f5241642.pdf

It was permitted as a line to carry dredge material from the new Magnolia LNG facility just east of Calcasieu Point. The material is to be deposited into the flat just north of Turner Bay. The approximate midpoint of the line crossing the Calcasieu river is at lat 93-18-13, long 30-04-52. Don't know if it is installed in the permitted position, but it is supposed to be marked and monitored for navigation.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964

So I wonder if this falls in line with what I heard about them dredging out the ICW between Calc point and the locks? Anyone heard about it? We have a camp right there and the freakin tugs are killing us on the spoil.

Also it looks like they will be using the big mud lake flat and filling it in.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Tripletail

Someone else told me about the washout in black lake having levee put up again. Been in blacklake 3 times early in the year but never went that far back. Especially not to go see a levee put across another good fishing spot!
Old 07-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,187

Quote:
Someone else told me about the washout in black lake having levee put up again. Been in blacklake 3 times early in the year but never went that far back. Especially not to go see a levee put across another good fishing spot!

Should be done by now they were working on it in the fall the last time I was back there.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
So I wonder if this falls in line with what I heard about them dredging out the ICW between Calc point and the locks? Anyone heard about it? We have a camp right there and the freakin tugs are killing us on the spoil.

Also it looks like they will be using the big mud lake flat and filling it in.
Last year I was catching trout on the West Bank across from the camps. Well about a 100 yds off the bank in 13-19 feet of water. Anyway it never failed I'd have 6-10 fish in box and a tug would come push up on opposite bank and since there is nothing for them to tie up to there they just leave it in gear pushed up on the bank. depending on tide it was just a matter of time before their wash propellers stirred up all the mud and silt and shut me down. I'm can imagine wat this is doing to yalls land at those camps!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:57 PM
Tripletail

Wonder if the barge load of rocks on West Bank of ship channel across from turners bay is the material they saying will be deposited on the flat. This is going to totally screw up one of, if not my favorite place to fish!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Redfish

Cash: 773

Quote:
Wonder if the barge load of rocks on West Bank of ship channel across from turners bay is the material they saying will be deposited on the flat. This is going to totally screw up one of, if not my favorite place to fish!
Looked to me like that load was for the Cameron LNG project butt I could be wrong.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Should be done by now they were working on it in the fall the last time I was back there.
It's done. Actually shows up on Google Earth. I went a month or so ago to verify what I saw on Google.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Tripletail

That would make more sense but curious what material is gonna be used on flat.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Flounder

Cash: 509

Not really seeing anything on my charts. IF any of you that have seen this and know where it is, and have the boating app. You can use community edits to edit the map where this sign and possible pipeline obstruction is and it will go into a chart update. There is a lot of positives to using community edits with your charts and it has saved my rear end a couple of times.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

This "hazard" in north Turners bay is clearly marked. There are poles with signs to mark the area that is being used for the dredging work.

I wonder if the water run-off will muddy up water in that area?
Old 07-22-2017, 06:18 AM
Tripletail

I doubt anything good comes from it that's for sure!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Tripletail

clearly marked on turners bay side for sure but didn't see where it was marked where some take the short cut into turners. I'm sure its marked now though all the equipment in there now doing the work. That shallow reef on northwest bank of turners is surely to stay muddy now