SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Exclamation Spatial ecology of adult spotted seatrout

Read all 306 pages and this stuck out the MOST

Interestingly, Louisiana recently adopted (in 2006) a spatially-explicit management plan
for Calcasieu Lake. The premise of this management decision, which included a reduction in
daily bag limits and imposition of a slot limit, was to ‘preserve’ the renowned trophy-fishery for
spotted seatrout in Calcasieu Lake. However, the decision to enact this regulation was based
exclusively on socio-economic factors, rather than the biological status of the subpopulation. In
fact, no formal stock assessment was conducted as part of the decision-making process. Thus,
the status of the subpopulation (stock) was largely unknown (i.e., overfished or not?) at the time
regulations were changed. While perhaps setting a bad precedent for fisheries management (i.e.,
making a decision based purely on socioeconomic reasons), this situation affords a unique
opportunity to evaluate the response of spotted seatrout to a spatially-explicit (estuarine-scale)
regulations change (i.e., adaptive management, sensu Hilborn and Walters 1992). For example,
the response of the stock to the more stringent regulations could be examined by analyzing
fisheries independent monitoring data and conducting periodic, formal stock assessments (e.g.,
every five years). Obviously, response dynamics would largely depend on the status of the stock
when regulations were changed, which could be gleaned from the assessment. If the stock was
truly overfished at the time of the regulations change, response trajectories in the following
period might provide some indication as to whether the regulations were indeed stringent enough
to have a positive (re-building) effect. If no stock response is observed, this could indicate a
different type of management regulation (e.g., ‘input controls’ such as seasonal closures vs.
‘output controls’ such as bag limits) may be more effective. Finally, if the stock was considered
healthy at the time of the regulations change, subsequent abundance and biomass trajectories
could provide important clues to potential density-dependence processes in spotted seatrout. For
instance, an important question may be whether spotted seatrout are able to significantly increase
their abundance (when fishing pressure is relaxed) to a degree that allows them to exert higher
top-down predation pressure on other species in the ecosystem. As we move towards the future
in fisheries science and attempt to implement ecosystem-based fisheries management, questions
as these become important because seemingly conservative management actions for one species
(e.g., a reduction in fishing mortality) can often have unforeseen (negative) consequences on
other species within the ecosystem due to complex species and fisheries interactions (Pine et al.
2009).
This study demonstrated that adult spotted seatrout exhibit limited movements in coastal
Louisiana. The telemetry study provided strong evidence of high annual residency of adults
within an individual estuary (Calcasieu Lake), especially females (~90%). Furthermore,
conventional tagging data indicated large-scale movements in excess of 50 km were rare (< 2%),
albeit most tag recoveries occurred within two months post-release. Based on these results, I
hypothesized the spatial structure of spotted seatrout may best be represented as a
metapopulation comprised of subpopulations in each major estuary that were genetically similar
(primarily due to male straying), yet demographically independent due to seemingly low interestuarine
exchange rates (< 4%). Finally, I proposed an alternative stock assessment technique
(spatially-hierarchical models) that could be considered as a management tool to enhance and

promote the sustainability of Louisiana’s most sought after sportfish
Old 05-29-2013, 05:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Did Math Geek post this before?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

when was this published?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Do you have a link? .pdf?

306 pages would be like 2 PhD dissertations
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Do you have a link? .pdf?

306 pages would be like 2 PhD dissertations
Ha, good point. Didn't think about that.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Tried to load the PFD file but took to long.....will try again later
Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Tried to load the PFD file but took to long.....will try again later
The life jacket may be too big to upload, you have a floppy drive big enough to fit a PFD?

Anyhow, try a PDF. They are a lot smaller than life jackets and more computer friendly.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
The life jacket may be too big to upload, you have a floppy drive big enough to fit a PFD?

Anyhow, try a PDF. They are a lot smaller than life jackets and more computer friendly.
Lmao, didn't have the heart to do that.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Lmao.. you got jokes
Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Lmao.. you got jokes
Lmao, left it wide open!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

Quote:

The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,687

Quote:

Good one
Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Flounder

Cash: 394

i ate crawfish with people who developed the program this past weekend. they just tagged 40 fish last week in lake P. around the train tracks. I didnt relize how expensie the trackers were.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

This IS a Ph.D. dissertation, just saw it and it was definitely too big to link on here, just google the title W put in and it will show up