SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Another try

After the dismal trip we had the day before we had to take a chance and go long if we were wanting any tuna. We met our customers a little after 5:00 and they had all their own gear. It was all good equipment and in good shape so we off loaded all our poles except 3 of our trolling rods. This would be a move I would question later in the day. The forecast is for the seas to get better as the day goes on so we hope the weatherman is right this time. We have kind of a following sea and it is a slow bouncy run out.

Once there we set up a troll while looking for where the fish are hanging out. Our first line goes off and we have a skipjack. Our bottom machine is lighting up so we pull in our lines and set up a drift. 5 of them are jigging and I am cutting up bait for the drift while Eddie sets up the chum lines.

Not long before we our first yellowfin comes aboard. Good start. We are one of the best places to test boats, motors, and especially equipment due to the year round, long days, and unknown species type of fishing we have here. This terez rod was testiment to that. For some reason we have found this with the conventional terez rods but not the terez spinning rods. I have replaced all my terez conventional rods except one that refuses to break with trevala rods. They have stood up to many large amberjack and a alo of tuna over 100 pounds. The only time I had one break was when a guy high sticked it on a yellowfin over 150.

We continued drifting this area and managed some fish but after a while the sharks were even hitting our jigs on a regular basis. Loosing butterfly jigs makes for an expensive trip. Another of our boats was in the area and he could not get a tuna fish black or yellow without a shark getting it.

With 2 yellowfin and a hand full of blacks, I cut up 4 for chum, left in the box we moved to another nearby rig. That one was loaded with sharks so we only stayed there for a little while. Eddie decided to head closer in looking for whoos and Ajs. The weatherman was fibbing to us. As we got closer in the seas drove us in a different direction which was not a bad deal because there are a cluster of rigs in that area that could hold wahoo and do hold amberjack. We troll each rig and then pull up and try to jig some amberjack. Nothing hitting the jigs. Now I am thinking about our amberjack setup I took off the boat. We have live bait but these guys only have 65 pound line on spinning and jigging setups. Gotta do with what you got.

It is getting late and our choices of rigs is getting less but we find a rig with good jigging action. We are faced with a 6-1 fish - jig ratio with the light tackle and toothy critters. The amberjacks were hard to get out of the rigs and break off the light tackle. We had jigs comming up with assist hooks bitten off. We only had 1 or 2 amberjack needed to get our limit and instead of putting a new leader on I just tied a jig to the 4 or 5 inches of leader the guy had left and Eddie told him to go for it.

A bonus and proof of what we thought. Not your standard wahoo setup and on that LUCKY broken terez rod!

With only 1 or 2 amberjack to complete our limit and still on a 6-1 loss ratio Eddie has me make up a grouper rig and put it on a 50 wide. We put on a large live bait and send it down to the bottom. Fish on!

Another reminder of how our day was going. It was a slow expensive pick but we were still giving it a conserted effort.

The sun was falling fast as we finally got our limit of amberjacks. We had a beautifull red sunset behind us on the run in but it did nothing to warm us up. It was a long day and we got rewarded with a full board of mixed fish.

Yesterday Eddie went out without a deck hand and found the wahoo in the same areas we tried and found none the day before. Go fiqure. He had some in the 50 - 60 class.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Awesome report capt!!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Thanks for the report capt.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738