SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 06-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Nice trip!

My inshore trip was canceled for unknown reasons so I decked for Mike Jeffcoat. We got an early start because they had to be back rather early. We were loaded up and almost at the end of tiger pass as the sun greeted us. Unknown to me this was an indication of the type of day we were about to have.

The winds had been blowing for the last 2 days. The forecast was for the seas to lay down throughout the day. The seas were very heavy. We had to make about a 20 mile loop in order to have almost bearable seas. We did not even bother to look for live bait. We were the first ones at our destination. There was nothing on the surface to give any indication the fish were there but our screen lit up about 100-200 feet down. We got dirty right away. On our first drift the kid hooks up with his first ever tuna.

He is so skinny I had trouble getting a belt to fit him. I helped him by steadying the rod and guiding the line on when we were able get any at all. He stayed on it for a very long time but the fish was too much for him to finish off. He stayed on it until he got noticeably weak. His dad jumped in and helped as a good father should. The team work paid off and we had our first blood on the first drift.

Our next fish was a bonito and that provided our red meat bait. That got us another yellowfin that broke the line before we got it to the boat. We were able to land our next fish that was a big fat one that was a 80-90 pound fish.

The girl in front hooks up and lands a rainbow runner. Although an edible fish I cut it up for bait.

This produced a quick tuna bite that threw the hook after about a 20 minute fight. We never saw it. We are now 2 out of 4 on the yellowfin hook to catch scale. Our next drift is the high spot of the day. The fish heads for the surface and we are given one heck of an aerial display by a rare white marlin. This fish went skyward about 7 or 8 times. The unfortunate thing is that everybody was so excited that nobody got any pictures of it. While we were fighting this fish we had a blue marlin very close to the boat. All I saw of it was the dorsal fin about 40 feet from the boat in the suns glare but it was a good sized blue. We took the white on for a picture.

I revived it and released it to fight again.

I had talked to Captain Eddie burger about the fish on this particular rig and he said that "Those fish are mean". We were soon to find out how mean the fish actually were. Our next drift gets us a hookup on our lightest setup. The girl gets on it and fights it for about 20 minutes but has to pass the rod.

This fish stays on top which is an indication of a big tuna. It is giving the tuna head shake so we know it is not a shark. As the fight progresses every customer on the boat has a piece of this one. We only have 60 pound leader and did not want to put too much heat on it. It took us just over an hour in rough seas to get this 100 pound class tuna with an attitude in the boat.

It is now 12:30 and everybody on the boat is beat from the fight. We go back to make another drift and the grass has moved in. The water has changed and the bite is over. The trip was to be a short trip because the girl had to be back on college in Texas in the morning so we headed in. It was a good day worth all the pounding we took on the way out there. 3 for 5 on yellows, a white marlin, other action, and back to the dock by 2:00.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM