SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 07-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Not a bad day

I had the same private boat for 3 days. Second day was the only one we could make it offshore. We got an almost early start. Paused for some live bait but that was not happening. Just go for broke with what we had. About 13 miles out we ran across a large amount of threadfin herring. After getting a good amount of bait we went to our chosen rig looking for tuna. The depth / fish finder was not working on the boat so we were at a slight handicap.

We lost our first bait and ended up way out of the area the tuna were holding. After about 45 minutes we get one on.

Before this fight is over Steve wished he did not have his long sleeved shirt on. You would think he went swimming he was sweating so much. When the fish was in sight I jokingly said "the fish is too small I'll have to throw it back". The look on his face was priceless. With the fish along side I get one of the 2 gaffs out. I did not know Aftco made a 2 or 3 inch gaff. I do now [IMG]http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/default/***.gif[/IMG] I have an 80 - 90 pound tuna on. How can I stick this horse and get it over the gunnel. A fish this size can rip out of a gaff if not sunk in deep enough. It happened Another guy stuck it once or twice with the (MINI) gaffs and again the tuna ripped out. The T top was in our way and everybody had to be right on us to see the fish. The fish went back and dove about 30 feet. At this time I told everybody to give me room because the fish was coming on board in one shot this time. Once I had a shot I stuck it as good as I could, choked up on the gaff and lifted it up the side. I hit the T top, dropped an inch and slid to the back enough to lift and slam this pig on the deck. In the end the fish did not have a pretty face.

That was our tuna for the day. A lot of our live bait had died. A bit after 11 we were hot. The bite had slowed. and they decided to go in for a shot at some snapper. Once at our spot we moved around till we found them and it was game on.

As we were filling the box with some nice red snapper we hook up to something that is going where it wants to. At first I thought it was a shark but as the fight went on I started thinking Cobia. Once again it was a gaff and slam to the deck. I let this guy settle down on the deck. I had nothing to club it and the fish box was in the front of the boat. By the time all was settled down we had another bloody mess on the boat.

Once we had our limit of 12 snapper it was time to head in. We ended up with a good bit of fish for our efforts.

Our 3rd day we attempted to beat out the winds and storms but we got the crap beat out of us and only had one snapper in the boat before we turned tail and eased our way back in through VERY heavy seas. Hind sight we should have stayed at the dock.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM