SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,829
Default Crawfish on sabine river???

Can anyone verify this?? It was said to be onthe Sabine river
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (95.8 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (80.6 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (87.2 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (95.1 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (87.7 KB, 613 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
bay_slayer's Avatar
bay_slayer bay_slayer is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Morgan City
Posts: 2,560
Cash: 843
Default

dats alot of crawfish
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:20 PM
huntin fool's Avatar
huntin fool huntin fool is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,203
Cash: 1,902
Default

take dat, on a carolina rig and catch some goo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
ShadMan's Avatar
ShadMan ShadMan is offline
Westerly neighbor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,996
Cash: 3,551
Default

Sack 'em up and bring 'em over!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by W
My Ego is way bigger than any trout you ever caught
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 PM
SKnox's Avatar
SKnox SKnox is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ragley, Louisiana
Posts: 134
Cash: 652
Default

I was there Sunday afternoon, around Starks. It was the most amazin' thing I ever saw! We ended up with a 150 qt. chest full to the top. I got some pics, but left my camera in my buddies truck. I will get it from him this week sometimes. The whole time I was catching, I was saying noone gonna believe this on the Salty Cajun!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnox View Post
I was there Sunday afternoon, around Starks. It was the most amazin' thing I ever saw! We ended up with a 150 qt. chest full to the top. I got some pics, but left my camera in my buddies truck. I will get it from him this week sometimes. The whole time I was catching, I was saying noone gonna believe this on the Salty Cajun!
Damn......What you think made that happen? Molting?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:47 PM
wrsimonjr's Avatar
wrsimonjr wrsimonjr is offline
Sand Trout
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Longville, La
Posts: 17
Cash: 600
Default

Its from the water being so high for along period of time. The water is starting to fall and they are comming out of the flats that where flooded.This is the second time Ive seen this happen.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
H2OFwlKlr H2OFwlKlr is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rayne, LA
Posts: 714
Cash: 1,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Damn......What you think made that happen? Molting?

Poor water quality! They will crawl on land,or on anything to get out of the water to get some Oxygen!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
adamsfence's Avatar
adamsfence adamsfence is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: oakdale
Posts: 2,884
Cash: 1,002
Default

I got this email today too
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 PM
longsidelandry's Avatar
longsidelandry longsidelandry is offline
Swordfish
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Delcambre, LA
Posts: 6,749
Cash: 908
Default

I needa find out who took those pics of my back yard...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
all star rod's Avatar
all star rod all star rod is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In BRUH's HEAD
Posts: 20,577
Cash: 17,285
Default

Seems like they are running away from something!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM
wtretrievers's Avatar
wtretrievers wtretrievers is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central
Posts: 3,690
Cash: 2,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OFwlKlr View Post
Poor water quality! They will crawl on land,or on anything to get out of the water to get some Oxygen!
I can understand low Oxygen, but there's been nothing abnormal to deplete the oxygen levels. It's spring, not scalding hot summer, water may be dropping, but still moving. Wind has been blowing good, which helps the oxygen in the water......I wouldn't believe it's low oxygen, fish would be coming up also
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 PM
LaAngler LaAngler is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 6,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsimonjr View Post
Its from the water being so high for along period of time. The water is starting to fall and they are comming out of the flats that where flooded.This is the second time Ive seen this happen.
thanks for sharing!

longville eh? i've fished longville lake and hunted piney woods hunting club over there.



i just ate a bunch of crawfish out of a pirogue, pretty good
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
H2OFwlKlr H2OFwlKlr is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rayne, LA
Posts: 714
Cash: 1,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
I can understand low Oxygen, but there's been nothing abnormal to deplete the oxygen levels. It's spring, not scalding hot summer, water may be dropping, but still moving. Wind has been blowing good, which helps the oxygen in the water......I wouldn't believe it's low oxygen, fish would be coming up also

Trust me crawfish don't migrate, if they did we would see them crossing from cut to cut in the rice fields. Also they would be dead ones everywhere there was a pond next to a road.

You see the ones laying in on their sides, in a couple of the pics, that is what they do when the water quality, OXYGEN, gets low in the rice field ponds if we get behind on pumping fresh water to help out. I beleive where these are, only rain will give them freshwater.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 PM
huntin fool's Avatar
huntin fool huntin fool is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,203
Cash: 1,902
Default

molting or oxygen.


They've been doing that here, but for molting. Its easy catchin em by hand in the pirgoue, push pole down the canal, find a molt, and look around til you see them.

All of a sudden they've dissappeared though...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
H2OFwlKlr H2OFwlKlr is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rayne, LA
Posts: 714
Cash: 1,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
molting or oxygen.


They've been doing that here, but for molting. Its easy catchin em by hand in the pirgoue, push pole down the canal, find a molt, and look around til you see them.

All of a sudden they've dissappeared though...

Did the water level rise? Giving them fresher water?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM
wrsimonjr's Avatar
wrsimonjr wrsimonjr is offline
Sand Trout
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Longville, La
Posts: 17
Cash: 600
Default

Thats where they are gathering at, in the running water. The ones that get caught in the little holes will start dyeing due to oxygen. I was born and raised in Starks on the Sabine river. This happens when the water is high during the time grawfish spawn and then falls out quick. The water fell like 5 feet in 2 days.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM
huntin fool's Avatar
huntin fool huntin fool is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,203
Cash: 1,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OFwlKlr View Post
Did the water level rise? Giving them fresher water?
yeah, got muddier...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 PM
H2OFwlKlr H2OFwlKlr is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rayne, LA
Posts: 714
Cash: 1,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsimonjr View Post
Thats where they are gathering at, in the running water. The ones that get caught in the little holes will start dyeing due to oxygen. I was born and raised in Starks on the Sabine river. This happens when the water is high during the time grawfish spawn and then falls out quick. The water fell like 5 feet in 2 days.

Gotcha! Good info!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 PM
southern151's Avatar
southern151 southern151 is offline
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gonzales
Posts: 8,705
Cash: 3,546
Default

Most of em are white crawfish though. Most of the white ones I caught had near empty tails. They don't carry much meat. Also, the fat they carry is green rather than the normal yellow.

Still, an impressive sight! Btw, it is an oxygen level issue. If the wind is high, even when the water is falling and, is blowing inthe wrong direction, it kills the oxygen in the water.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map