SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

View Poll Results: Will you continue to support CCA?
Yes 28 36.36%
No 49 63.64%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I have not bought a membership or star ticket in 5 years...don't plan on now.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

~9000 salty cajun members(50$)=450,000$... id say the prizes wouldn't be terrible.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Redfish

Cash: 692

CCA=Coins Collected Anually
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdntboy09 View Post
CCA=Coins Collected Anually
Lol so true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Bottom line is CCA needs to get its head out politics azz and do right by fisherman and people who actually use our resources
Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
If it wasn't for everyone buying that little insurance policy ( which also makes you a member of CCA) They would be out of business.
Even their Big $$$ wheels couldn't keep them going w/o star.
When i got my copy of the CCA mag years ago that talked about how all the state chapters were fighting the posting of waterways and winning and The La chapter would not even take up the fight. I quit CCA and the star tourney and never looked back.
Always said if i ever caught a tagged red i would cut the tag up and eat the red .
My 26 year older brother told me he stopped supporting CCA because they did not fight posting of waterways. I have never supported or will I ever support CCA.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
~9000 salty cajun members(50$)=450,000$... id say the prizes wouldn't be terrible.
Naturally we won't get a third of that but we would still put a dent in their pockets!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Left them *****es when they tried to ban bow fishing because they claimed it would decline the redfish population!
On my side of the state the bow fishing is rather popular, and we compared numbers of reds cought by rod n reel by charters, and fish shot by charters boats, and it was an easy 90% more fish harvested leaning toward rod n reel!
It's just something the didn't approve of, and thought they would go after!
They got it smeared back in their face when they didn't have the proper proof to back their claim and dropped out of the debate!
What an embarrassment and group of deusch bags!
Old 08-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I pay for myself, my wife and 4 kids to fish the star every year. I've been active a few times at show in signing new members and have met several of the higher ups in the organization. I think the CCA has changed from its original grass roots purpose and become something entirely different. It feels like its a money making thing now that individuals are using to push their own personal agendas. I would love to see a new angler oriented organization start up. I'd pay to join. Nothing keeps you honest like competition.

Any members on this site serious about setting up an organization like this? If 5 people were to get together and put up $1000 dollars I'm sure that we could kick something off. Any attorneys here to assist in setting up and managing a non profit that might be interested? I'm willing to put up money and be involved if we can get together the right people. I will be home next week.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I pay for myself, my wife and 4 kids to fish the star every year. I've been active a few times at show in signing new members and have met several of the higher ups in the organization. I think the CCA has changed from its original grass roots purpose and become something entirely different. It feels like its a money making thing now that individuals are using to push their own personal agendas. I would love to see a new angler oriented organization start up. I'd pay to join. Nothing keeps you honest like competition.

Any members on this site serious about setting up an organization like this? If 5 people were to get together and put up $1000 dollars I'm sure that we could kick something off. Any attorneys here to assist in setting up and managing a non profit that might be interested? I'm willing to put up money and be involved if we can get together the right people. I will be home next week.
There are some challenges here. One challenge is deciding what you really want the group to be. Is the focus of the group conservation of natural resources for future generations or is the focus of the group an approach to fisheries management that emphasizes sound scientific management and prefers a libertarian outlook that places a fairly high scientific bar before the liberty of recreational anglers is restricted with additional regulations?

Will the group focus on sound science and restoration (reefs, etc.) which would make for a valid non-profit (tax exempt status), or will there be a political and policy focus where the group would probably not qualify for tax exempt status?

To take the approach of including both you need to organize something like the NRA. The regular NRA (National Rifle Association) focuses on education and training in civil rights and marksmanship. The political and policy arm is the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) that is a recognized political group and is allowed to lobby because it does not enjoy tax exempt status.

Once a group exists, there will invariably be internal disagreements over how the group approaches (allocates resources) to address the various interests. Where are the reefs deployed? What scientific issues get studied? What is the group's policy position on various management agendas on the fed and state level? How well is the group organized and governed to survive and succeed in spite of these internal disagreements?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
There are some challenges here. One challenge is deciding what you really want the group to be. Is the focus of the group conservation of natural resources for future generations or is the focus of the group an approach to fisheries management that emphasizes sound scientific management and prefers a libertarian outlook that places a fairly high scientific bar before the liberty of recreational anglers is restricted with additional regulations?

Will the group focus on sound science and restoration (reefs, etc.) which would make for a valid non-profit (tax exempt status), or will there be a political and policy focus where the group would probably not qualify for tax exempt status?

To take the approach of including both you need to organize something like the NRA. The regular NRA (National Rifle Association) focuses on education and training in civil rights and marksmanship. The political and policy arm is the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) that is a recognized political group and is allowed to lobby because it does not enjoy tax exempt status.

Once a group exists, there will invariably be internal disagreements over how the group approaches (allocates resources) to address the various interests. Where are the reefs deployed? What scientific issues get studied? What is the group's policy position on various management agendas on the fed and state level? How well is the group organized and governed to survive and succeed in spite of these internal disagreements?

I can only speak for myself. I am a member of CCA to help ensure our coast and fisheries is protected and maintained in a manner that will ensure it is viable and productive into the future so that generations are able to enjoy it the way I do. I also would like to see the organization work to protect our rights as Anglers to be able to access these same waterways our tax and organization dollars preserve. I expect best practices and scientific methods to be utilized to determine the methods that should be utilized to obtain these results. That is my understanding to be the CCA's mission.

That is not what I feel the CCA is currently doing. I feel the organization as it currently is being managed is being used to push certain individuals personal agenda. I also feel that the upper levels of the CCA have been infiltrated by individuals who are using the lobbying power of the organization to other ends. Regardless of if its to the detriment of the membership and OUR intrests.

The strongest weapon that the CCA has in its arsenal is the power of its membership to sway political opinion. That is NOT being utilized (in my opinion) to the benefit of the membership they proportion to represent.

Again.... Just my opinion.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I can only speak for myself. I am a member of CCA to help ensure our coast and fisheries is protected and maintained in a manner that will ensure it is viable and productive into the future so that generations are able to enjoy it the way I do. I also would like to see the organization work to protect our rights as Anglers to be able to access these same waterways our tax and organization dollars preserve. I expect best practices and scientific methods to be utilized to determine the methods that should be utilized to obtain these results. That is my understanding to be the CCA's mission.

That is not what I feel the CCA is currently doing. I feel the organization as it currently is being managed is being used to push certain individuals personal agenda. I also feel that the upper levels of the CCA have been infiltrated by individuals who are using the lobbying power of the organization to other ends. Regardless of if its to the detriment of the membership and OUR intrests.

The strongest weapon that the CCA has in its arsenal is the power of its membership to sway political opinion. That is NOT being utilized (in my opinion) to the benefit of the membership they proportion to represent.

Again.... Just my opinion.
I agree. Certain personal agendas may have just finished driving the dagger through the CCA. I sure hope so
Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfarmer View Post
My 26 year older brother told me he stopped supporting CCA because they did not fight posting of waterways. I have never supported or will I ever support CCA.

Hold on a minute, they didn't stand up for it because they have no dog in this fight. What does Coastal Conservation Association have to do with this? First off, these areas were actual land at one time, and a boat couldn't get to these areas. All of this is PRIVATE PROPERTY. They OWN the land that is directly under that water, the land has been subsiding for many years, but its their property. The only dog in the fight CCA has is to try and get that land back. It was a fight they would not win, and rightfully so. No need to take sides between two groups of sportsmen and divide the base.
As far as navigable waters, this area just recently became 'navigable', it used to be terra firma. The laws for navigable waters are not for hunting/fishing, in other words its not a right to be able to fish/hunt on someone else's property just because its navigable. There was a large lawsuit in N La along the MS River involving a man that would fish Gassoway Lake (private lake) when the river got high. He got arrested numerous times for trespassing on private property. He fought it and eventually the judge sided with the landwoners. You can look at the wording but basically the law states that you can tie up there and moor overnight, dry out nets, etc, but fishing/hunting is not allowed.

If you owned property that was now underwater, I guarantee you that you would want to keep people from entering the rest of your property and would have signs posted up all over teh place, I know I would, because it PRIVATE PROPERTY, whether its under the water or not. There are millions of other acres to fish not behind posted signs.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Ling

Default Tripletail regulations

As far as tripletail - really guys? You are upset that the Coastal CONSERVATION Association is on board with CONSERVING fishing for future generations? There are new studies coming out on tripletail (finally) and CCA is just going along with scientific data to manage our fisheries. Oh no, the sky is falling

After all thats what 'WE' want right? Management of our fisheries to be based on science? There have been numerous discussions about the 15 trout limit on Big Lake, and most of you on here say that 'limits should be based on science', well here you go whats the problem

Is it really going to effect anyone here that much if there is a limit on tripletail now?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Redfish

Cash: 429
Default Quit Drinking the Kool-aid

Duck Butter...Please stop and read the very mission statement of CCA on their webssite before you say it has no "dog" in the fight. Your statement is complelety lacking in any facts. CCA does not involve itself in waterway issues because it's lobbying partner is Louisiana Landowners Association.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Red Snapper

From the CCA website.

Mission Statement
The stated purpose of CCA is to advise and educate the public on conservation of marine resources. The objective of CCA is to conserve, promote and enhance the present and future availability of these coastal resources for the benefit and enjoyment of the general public.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMade View Post
Duck Butter...Please stop and read the very mission statement of CCA on their webssite before you say it has no "dog" in the fight. Your statement is complelety lacking in any facts. CCA does not involve itself in waterway issues because it's lobbying partner is Louisiana Landowners Association.
Here is their mission statement
Mission Statement

The purpose of CCA is to advise and educate the public on conservation of marine resources. The objective of CCA is to conserve, promote, and enhance the present and future availability of those coastal resources for the benefit and enjoyment of the general public.

What waterway issues? I don't think there are any issues You are on top of private land, seems a no-brainer to me

and it makes sense to lobby with the LLA, as they own land along the COAST which the COASTal CONSERVATION Association is trying to CONSERVE which would fall under this part of their mission statement "conserve, promote, and enhance the present and future availability of those coastal resources for the benefit and enjoyment of the general public." If you can conserve the land, then eeryone benefits, again a no-brainer

I know all about their mission statement, and tripletail regs would fit directly in their mission statement to me especially this part "conservation of marine resources"

I would bet that 99% of the people griping about tripletail have never even caught 5 tripletail in one setting, and would bet that that same 99% have never attended an LDWF meeting on the subject

Again, its just a letter of INTENT, nothing has happened, the sky is not falling and has not fallen
Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMade View Post

So I guess you have no issue with someone fishing your land as long as they can get to it by BOAT....
Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
So I guess you have no issue with someone fishing your land as long as they can get to it by BOAT....
Ding ding ding!

That is exactly what I am talking about. I would be that most of these duck leases in SW La are on 'navigable waters' (You can navigate em with a mudmotor), but someone would get shot if they were 'navigating' thru the area during duck season. Guaranteed
Old 08-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Red Snapper

If the land is now under water it by definition no longer "Land". Correct? It is now navigable water. If the owners of the land wish to restore the previously useable land back to useable land then by all means... Please do so!! It'll help to protect the rest of our coast. But as long as said land is covered by water that the fish swim which are public property swim in I should damn well be able to access it!

If I was a land owner who loss land to coastal erosion (which by the way I was and I spent a considerable amount of my own money to recover by the way.). I would understand that until I do recover the land I am unable to prevent access to the water covering it.