SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266
Default Washer Stinks

I know, this isn't a very manly topic, but my washer stinking and making everything else smell sour was about to drive me crazy, and thinking I had a plumbing problem or screwed up machine was stressing me out. I'm posting to hopefully save someone else the time and frustration, and possibly from buying a whole new washer when they don't have to.

The new washers (even top load like mine) don't do well with the typical detergents and softeners, couple this with all the new detergents and you have a gunk buildup mixed in with clothes lent. The soup starts to stink like stagnant pond water, making it smell like your drain is blowing back from the sewage into your house. This also makes your clothes and towels smell sour when you break a little sweat. I've had a few arguments because I accused my wife of letting them sit too long after the wash cycle, poor thing...

The solution is simple. Just clean the washer and eliminate all the crazy Tide and Gain detergents as well as greasy softeners, and go back to the old school. After trying every home remedy and Pinterest post my wife could find, I came across something that really works.

1.) clean the washer with Clorox washer cleaner (may have to do it a couple times)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390163703.367509.jpg

2.) throw away all your old detergents and softeners, and buy Nellie's laundry soda. You really only have to use 1 tablespoon even for large loads. This stuff is awesome, no need for softener. $20 for 100 loads, or $125 for 1,200 load bucket.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390163815.700884.jpg

3) get some Borax Mule team and use a little with the nellies in every load. This cleans and brightens the crap out if everything. $3.00 for a box, and it can be used for cleaning all kinda of other stuff
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390163893.218301.jpg

No more oils and films, no more stank, no need to buy a new washer, no need to call a plumber to see if the crap pipe is venting up into your laundry room, cleanest and brightest laundry my wife has ever seen. Smells like it came off the line outside.

My folks and my neighbors just retired washers that were fine, and bought new ones because of the same problems I had.

We did this over a month ago and my wife will never go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

I have a front load and have had to throw loads of clothes In the trash because I thought the wife had left them in the washer too long. Started investigating and found it was the washer itself causing the problem. Tried the cleaning tablets but have not competely cured the prob. Will give this a try before making a Harlem Shake video with it.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Stink comes from using too much detergent. I had the same problem.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Some if those front load washers you have to leave the door open a little. Also make sure you use high efficiency detergent
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Yep, for front loads leave that door open so it can air dry. The tide packs that you run in there every week help as well. I will have to try this remedy here.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Tripletail

http://youtu.be/U8y9EcfhVr0
Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Swordfish

Tried it all

Old 01-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

We've been having the same issues with our washer. My wife used one of those cleaners and everything was good for a few weeks and then the stink again....... Can you use these detergents with a high efficiency washer?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
We've been having the same issues with our washer. My wife used one of those cleaners and everything was good for a few weeks and then the stink again....... Can you use these detergents with a high efficiency washer?

Yes, switch to them and I almost guarantee the stink won't come back.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

I fought this for a long time with a Maytag Neptune (In some language Maytag Neptune translates to POS). Bought a new front loading set and installed a whole house carbon filter and water softener. My wife thought that the more soap meant the cleaner the clothes. It took a while but she is now convinced to use a tablespoon of HE washing liquid only. Plus leaving the door open when not in use helps. These HE washing machines do not use hardly any water. This coupled with hard water and the soap never gets rinsed away. Thus causing scum and mildew. Now my clothes are fresh and clean. Now if I could just get her to clean ducks like she cleans clothes, I'd be in heaven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Yes, switch to them and I almost guarantee the stink won't come back.

Lol... i would try this in a heartbeat... only problem is my wife likes to "extreme coupon" so we have like 40 bottles of gain stacked up at the house... think she paid something silly like .40 cents a bottle when they are normally 8.99$.

She will kill me if i try to tell her she needs to switch to a different detergent.. lol.....

gonna try the use less for more cleaning thing though.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 552

Had the same problems! I fixed it though, left the washer in the house when we sold it. The house we bought came with an older machine and clothes have been spring fresh! The only problems are when the wife gets caught in the wringers!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Tripletail

Default redneck Randal's solution

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-01-20 at 1.26.00 PM.jpg (29.6 KB, 263 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I'm going to forward this thread to my wife.......... where you buy that Nellies at?

ETA, when you can't get grass stains out of your kids cloths take a bar of Fels-Naptha soap wet the stain with water then rub that bar of sopa all over it..... stains come right out.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I'm going to forward this thread to my wife.......... where you buy that Nellies at?

ETA, when you can't get grass stains out of your kids cloths take a bar of Fels-Naptha soap wet the stain with water then rub that bar of sopa all over it..... stains come right out.

I found it at stine, may have to order it where you're at. Or I can make a delivery next week along with some cane break...

Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142

Was in Lake Charles Saturday and stopped at stines on the way home in Sulphur and bought borax and Nellies. When I go back in a few days I will try to see if they restocked. I bought the last ones. Having my troll motor worked on at Lake Charles tackle.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I see theres a big class action lawsuit coming over the mold and mildew problems with all the energy saving and high efficiency washers.

http://www.twice.com/appliances/laun...r-suits/110089

the manufacturers are screaming bloody murder trying to stop it from going to court. they say its just anti American product sentiment driving it and the non USA appliance manufacturers are the ones behind it all lol